Aviva Reviews

Updated 17 Sep 2020

3.5
Aviva CEO Amanda Blanc
Amanda Blanc

"Great company, but very complicated"

Former Employee - Head of Marketing in London, England

I worked at Aviva full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great Local Leadership, Clear Strategy, Good Culture

Cons

Bureaucratic, Complex, Traditional mindset, Federated. Too much plurality that senior management don't manage effectively.

Continue reading

"Supportive company to work for as a graduate"

Current Employee - Aviva Graduate in Norwich, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Aviva full-time for less than a year

Pros

Being a grad opens doors at Aviva and it is genuinely a nice organisation to work for where most of the employees are supportive.

Cons

Internal cost-cutting initiatives and potential retention after grad scheme.

3. "Aviva"

Current Employee - Learning Coordinator in New Lanark, Scotland

I have been working at Aviva part-time

Pros

Good environment, nice people and training good

Cons

Average salary, would like more

"Good place to work"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in York, England

I worked at Aviva full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible working, remote working, Agile practises

Cons

They made a lot of their perm staff redundant just before the Christmas period which wasn’t good at all.

5. "Dreadful avoid"

1.0
    Former Employee - Credit Risk Analyst in London, England

I worked at Aviva full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good experience Good well-being benefits Seem to have reacted well to severe wellbeing problems being exposed to HR.

Cons

Management are only interested in making a bonus and do not care about your health and well being. They will work you illegal hours to squeeze as much out of you so that they get a large bonus. Managers hire their mates, no diversity in recruitment. They hire from one firm and give them the senior positions. They hire aggressive investment bankers and pay low insurance salary. Why not just work for an IB. Watch your back or you won't survive From experience they've lost huge money due to appalling wellbeing of staff. They fail to understand the problem.

Continue reading
  6. "Really supportive company"

Former Employee - IT Helpdesk in York, England

I worked at Aviva full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing support throughout my Pregnancy Regular Training Great benefits

Cons

Not a clear promotion path from the entry level jobs

7. "Aviva Investors - Project Management - COO"

2.0
    Former Employee - Aviva Investors - Project Manager in London, England

I worked at Aviva full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Technology - Really good technology for the asset management industry which can be guilty of being quite afraid to embrace modern technologies. Laptops readily available and great use of Microsoft Teams which keeps people connected and great technologies in meeting rooms. WFH - Great flexibility in terms of working from home. It is generally encouraged around the business. Parental leave - 6 months full pay. This again is very progressive for an asset manager. The company culture has really benefited from this. Internal opportunities - There can be opportunities to go on secondments to other business functions and internal vacancies do come up. However, you can be waiting a long time for this and not all managers are supportive of secondments. CEO - The CEO of Aviva Investors is very forward thinking. He encourages WFH and flexible working. He really is passionate about the industry and is always encouraging innovative ideas. He has spoken out against sex discrimination, the gender pay gap and often speaks at diversity events. I just wish this was echoed through his senior management.

Cons

HR - They are completely inefficient. I don't know of a single colleague who had a good experience with HR. If you have a grievance with management or you are seeking advice, you will not receive it. I saw HR business partners going to senior management with confidential information and telling them of private conversations and giving names. If your manager takes a disliking to you and is at a senior level, you will be given no support. HR once emailed around a confidential spreadsheet with salary information to a whole team that wasn't password protected. Colleagues would make appointments with HR members who would accept the invite and just not turn up to the meeting. Communications - Although general business updates are plentiful in weekly news round ups or video clips, communications with employees is generally poor. I accepted a role at Aviva Investors and on my first day was met at reception by my 'new manager'. The hiring manager who employed me had moved departments and HR/manager didn't contact me during the onboarding process to tell me of the change. Instead I had a new manager I'd never met before and who had zero people management experience. Culture - Although they do try to break down silos, it's not working. You don't get to know of other departments or people unless directly working with them. There is also a hire and fire culture. People (at all levels) will suddenly disappear. You will later find out on the grape vine that there were redundancies. This can be a stressful situation and with the constant hiring and firing it can be difficult to keep up to date with who to contact and what the business structure is. Senior Management - I sat in on certain meetings with senior management and I can honestly say I've never encountered such an unprofessional atmosphere. Senior management will use a business meeting to openly gossip about staff and spread rumours. If someone makes the slightest mistake the manager will be told to 'get rid' of the employee, this is even true of interns and graduates who should be given the chance to learn. I even heard senior management encourage sexism, discrimination and bullying. They would decide someone was a 'wrong fit' for a role and that would be the end for them. No constructive feedback, just told to leave. There were also comments made about women's appearances with a head of a business function being described as fat (she was pregnant). Any direct report who wanted change or made suggestions to their manager was described as a 'problem child'. Business strategy - The asset management part of Aviva still seems to be struggling to figure out what it is trying to achieve. There is a constant restructuring of senior management and teams. The CEO seems to have taken a step back from being a CEO and is almost acting as a CIO. This decision was made in order for him to be more involved in front office and investments. However, I don't think anything significantly has improved or changed since and I don't know what products they are focusing on other than AIMS which now seems to be a dead horse.

Continue reading
  8. "Great benefits and internal opportunities"

Current Employee - Head of Financial Planning and Analysis in London, England

I have been working at Aviva full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great values which support employees. Great benefits like paternity leave and long hols days, plus loads of internal opportunities

Cons

Feels like underpaid when compared to benchmark

9. "Good"

Former Employee - General and Operations Manager in London, England

I worked at Aviva full-time

Pros

parental leave was very good

Cons

Too much travel for job

10. "When they're good they're great"

Former Employee - Middle Management

I worked at Aviva full-time

Pros

Good culture and very professional

Cons

Revolving door culture of management

Found 952 reviews