BAE Systems Applied Intelligence Reviews

Updated 8 Jul 2020

3.2
BAE Systems Applied Intelligence Managing Director Julian Cracknell (no image)
Julian Cracknell
Cons
  1. "Excellent company to work for"

5.0
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in London, England

I have been working at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Excellent company to work for with lots of unique opportunities. The company also allows you to have a good work life balance and is flexible in its approach to working from home. Very high work ethics along with high caliber colleagues to work with.

Cons

If you are ever unfortunate enough to be on bench, it can be stressful.

February 20, 2020

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a positive review of your time at Applied Intelligence. We are proud of how we have developed our flexible working, so feedback that you have benefited from a good work life balance at AI is great to hear! We also couldn't agree more that our people are smart and our greatest strength. Taking time to provide this feedback is really valuable to us so thanks again.

2. "An OK place to work for a limited period to gain experience"

Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Guildford, England

I worked at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some great people work there and there are interesting work opportunities for learning on the job. You might get sponsored for SC or even DV security clearance which is transferable to other organisations / roles.

Cons

Don't expect anyone to care about your career and development / training other than yourself. Managers are scared for their own jobs so look to shift blame or treat people badly to make up for their own shortcomings / self doubt demons.

3. "nice place"

Current Employee - Business Consultant in London, England

I have been working at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence full-time

Pros

Flexibility is key, and you work with some great people

Cons

lack of organisational career structuring

4. "Good progression, competitive colleagues, good location"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in London, England

I worked at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great office location Good progression opportunities Good work social life

Cons

Competing against peers constantly Some senior management difficult to work with

"n/a"

Current Employee - Team Member

I have been working at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence part-time

Pros

good employer who looks after u

Cons

the location isnt ideal to live

"Terrible company to work for!"

1.0
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence full-time

Pros

Not much positives at this company

Cons

No career development opportunities Bureaucracy Low pay Very high turnover

"Looks great on your CV, somehow!"

Former Employee - IT Engineer in Leeds, England

I worked at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Big, recognisable name on your CV, some lovely co-workers. The air conditioning in the office works. Free kit kats. At least you are contributing to a section of the business that (mostly) doesn't have questionable ethics. Decent package.

Cons

Nobody is looking at BAE Systems for competence in IT surely? Enormously top heavy, you can see 4 tiers of management in the same small office space. With that many managers, everything is micromanaged to justify their existence - horrendous waste disguised as "justified" red tape, yet technically the IT strategy in both operational security and is laughably backwards. It seems like the longer your colleagues have worked there the more they laugh it off as being 'the BAE way'. There is a culture of just throwing staff in at the deep end with little or no training that seems to pervade all departments. Recent user hardware refresh deployed some of the most pathetic hardware I've ever seen, but that doesn't really matter because the network is so unreliable and slow that even a 15 year old computer wouldn't perform any different. No canteen, no local amenities since the (frankly grim) cafe closed down, save for a food van that turns up at a random time after first being emptied of all the decent food by the warehouse around the corner. No parking after 7:15am, unless you like parking in an industrial estate a mile away and waiting for a minibus that adds 45 minutes to your commute. Public transport only an option for the privileged few on a specific bus route into Leeds. Your promotion prospects are decided by bell curve against people you've never worked with, by people who don't know you, and they decide in advance how many senior roles they need and guess what - they're mostly all taken up by the morass of managers already. It seems like half the people you work with do enough of the pen pushing KPI box-ticking to game the system (mostly because there are few genuinely good managers in the mass of managers), leaving the other half to do the actual work and burn out within 18 months from stress, and/or get made redundant in the frequent boom/bust redundancy rounds. As the commercial division was recently closed, and financial services are likely to follow suit, all that will be left will be teams of managers helping the company leech off the government. Key advice if you do start work here: start planning your next move, there is no way to succeed here, there is a enormous gulf between the layers of managers, let alone the staff that actually produce.

Continue reading
  8. "Great Company to work for but hard to get a payrise!"

Current Employee - Lead DevOps Engineer in Gloucester, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence full-time for more than a year

Pros

Interesting range of projects, company has some nice offices!

Cons

Moving projects is not as easy as they make out, the process can take over a year! 3 months notice period to leave even for lower paid jobs is awful!

May 7, 2020

Thank you for taking the time to leave a balanced review, we value all of the reviews we receive. We will put your comments forward for consideration. Thanks again.

"Very tactical with no long term goals"

Current Employee - Consultant, FS Risk in London, England

I have been working at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible working and plenty of smart and hard working employees

Cons

Being exceptional does not pay as it is expected what defeats the urge to try do your best

May 7, 2020

Thank you very much for your review. It's disappointing to hear you have had a negative experience but good to know you have benefited from our flexible working approach. We value all of the reviews we receive as they enable us to improve and change the things that aren't working and we certainly agree that our people are our greatest strength. Thanks again.

10. "Mediocre"

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Guildford, England

I worked at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence full-time

Pros

Large company with options abroad

Cons

Large company where employees can be seen as resources

May 7, 2020

Hello and thank you for your review. We hope you enjoy your time working with us. Please do leave us another review with more detail as we do always appreciate feedback so we can continue to improve. Thanks

Found 713 reviews