BAE Systems USA Employee Reviews about "9 80 work"

Updated Nov 15, 2021

Found 141 of over 2,938 reviews

3.8
BAE Systems USA President and CEO Tom Arseneault
Tom Arseneault
Pros
  • "good work life balance good pay(in 154 reviews)

• "9/80 work schedules are standard among salaried staff (9 hour work days with every other Friday off)(in 141 reviews)

• Cons
  • "The disconnect from upper management from middle management is difficult to work with(in 79 reviews)

• "Similar cons to any very large company(in 52 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "9 80 work"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 4.0

Overall Decent Job with Phenomenal Work-Life Balance

Nov 12, 2021 - Process Engineer in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

For a brief summary - This is a decent job and I am happy working here. I highly recommend it if a healthy work-life balance & less stressful work environment is important to you. If you're looking to aggressively advance your career or pursue a top-income job then there may be greater opportunities with the tech communities in Austin. Work-Life Balance: 5/5 The work-life balance here is unprecedented in my career. 9/80 work schedules are standard among salaried staff (9 hour work days with every other Friday off). On top of this, the company has a 90 hour bi-weekly cap. In other words, salaried staff cannot work >90 hours over a 2-week period without manager approval. And if your manager does ask you to work >90 hours, BAE pays you a hourly OT for every additional hour worked. On top of this, you're allowed to flex your time as well! You can typically start your workday anytime between 6am-8am. A chunk of the salaried staff here is allowed to work remotely. Benefits: 4/5 The 401K match is great. The PTO is fantastic, I literally have more time off than I know what to do with. Plus, they give you your first 6 months of PTO from the day you start. The medical/dental benefits are decent, about industry average. Pay: 3/5 This one is variable & hard to gauge. I intentionally took a $4K paycut from my last job to come here. Meanwhile, I have numerous colleagues 5-10 years out of school making 6-figures. The merit increases (2.5% or so) do not keep up with the raising CoL in Austin. This is a well known issue that has been raised to corporate. Opportunity: 4/5 There are A LOT of different positions here in the engineering umbrella. Plenty of space to laterally move into different roles. There are two positions to move up. You can become a subject matter expert over a given process and move as far as a 'Senior Principal II' engineer. Otherwise, if you choose to stick with the company, management is another route for advancement. Daily Work-Life/Stress: 4/5 Fairly standard here, some days are very relaxed. There will be that nonstop day every month or 2 with urgent needs & deadlines. Management is fairly understanding, I've had cases where we've had an issue bringing production to a halt & after a chunk of the day addressing it, our engineering director said screw it around 5:30 and told us to go home & not worry about it until tomorrow. There is always work available to do here, so just pace yourself to be productive while knowing your limits. Job security is not a major issue here.

Cons

My summary in 'Pros' captures my overall feelings about the company as an engineer. A more generous payscale to keep up with the high cost of living in Austin is desirable. Other than that, I do wish the site was a little more social, I do interact with my colleagues, but a chunk of the workday is fairly secluded at our desk.

Continue reading
      6 people found this review helpful
    2. 2.0
      Former Employee

White old men culture

Nov 15, 2021 - Supplier Quality Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

9/80 schedule is nice. Every other Friday off.

Cons

They do not promote women or people of color. Upper management it made up of white old men. Old school attitude.

3. 2.0

Finance

Aug 11, 2021 - Financial Analyst II in Hudson, NH
      Business Outlook

Pros

The 9-80 schedule was a nice benefit to have. You get a friday off every two weeks

Cons

Engineers are prioritized and all other support teams are not treated as valued members of the team.

4. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

Great Culture

May 13, 2021 - Senior Director
      Business Outlook

Pros

Mission Centric Culture Very Ethical Company 9/80 Work Weeks and Telecommute Friendly

Cons

Very Hierarchical - Senior Leadership is removed from local culture and business operations Senior leaders are mostly recruited from outside the company Glass ceiling for non-diverse employees

Continue reading
    5. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great company with a great mission!

May 5, 2021 - Human Resources
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great company with a great mission. 9/80!

Cons

Nothing comes to mind at this time.

6. 4.0

Interesting Work

Apr 29, 2021 - Anonymous in Minneapolis, MN
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Competitive pay - 9/80 Work schedule -Cutting edge technology and product lines - Newer parts of the facility and lunch room are nice

Cons

- No overtime until after 90 hours worked in a pay period - Strong corporate culture - Poor work/life balance (in my experience) - Fear over job security depending on current government contracts

7. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Good schedule

May 17, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

9/80 schedule is excellent. 6% 401k match

Cons

Really slow to give promotions

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great company to work for

Apr 20, 2021 - Program Manager in Greenlawn, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great work life balance and the people are great. The company values are shown from top to bottom. There are opportunities for growth and development if you want it. The Love working 9/80 schedule- a lot of flexibility as well.

Cons

Work can be stressful and hours can be long.

9. 3.0
      Former Employee

Negotiate salary upfront

May 1, 2021 - Contract Administrator in Peoria, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

9/80 work schedule is great—every other Friday off.

Cons

Raises are non-existent—very demotivating. If you don’t work in New Hampshire, you’ll feel Luke a red-headed stepchild.

10. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Good place to work in defense

May 12, 2021 - Finance Manager in Nashua, NH
      Business Outlook

Pros

9/80 work schedule is awesome. People are friendly and want you to succeed

Cons

Defense reacts very slowly to new management principles/technologies

Viewing 1 - 10 of 141 Reviews