BAE Systems USA Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Dec 2, 2021

Found 178 of over 2,938 reviews

3.8
BAE Systems USA President and CEO Tom Arseneault
Tom Arseneault
Pros
  • "good work life balance good pay(in 154 reviews)

• "9/80 work schedules are standard among salaried staff (9 hour work days with every other Friday off)(in 141 reviews)

• Cons
  • "The disconnect from upper management from middle management is difficult to work with(in 79 reviews)

• "Similar cons to any very large company(in 52 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0

good company

Oct 9, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

good work life balance good pay

Cons

bad management no one has a clue

2. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Excellent company to work for but very demanding at times

Mar 31, 2021 - Hardware Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good work life balance with early finish on Friday

Cons

Work can be very demanding at times

3. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good Company to work for, slightly old fashioned

Mar 26, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer in Warton, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- interesting projects - stable employment - good work / life balance

Cons

- Old ways of working - not much development for engineers beyond senior level -pay not great compared to market rates

4. 2.0
      Current Employee

Uncertain times with impending redundancies at the moment.

Jan 15, 2010 -  in Farnham, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Good work life balance with social events aplenty, along with good camaraderie amongst work colleagues. - Good benefits package, although remuneration could be better.

Cons

- Uncertain times with impending redundancies at the moment in particular for experienced hires. - Many colleagues are respectfully "old timers", although this is being addressed. - Work can be dull at times.

1 person found this review helpful
    5. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Overall Decent Job with Phenomenal Work-Life Balance

Nov 12, 2021 - Process Engineer in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

For a brief summary - This is a decent job and I am happy working here. I highly recommend it if a healthy work-life balance & less stressful work environment is important to you. If you're looking to aggressively advance your career or pursue a top-income job then there may be greater opportunities with the tech communities in Austin. Work-Life Balance: 5/5 The work-life balance here is unprecedented in my career. 9/80 work schedules are standard among salaried staff (9 hour work days with every other Friday off). On top of this, the company has a 90 hour bi-weekly cap. In other words, salaried staff cannot work >90 hours over a 2-week period without manager approval. And if your manager does ask you to work >90 hours, BAE pays you a hourly OT for every additional hour worked. On top of this, you're allowed to flex your time as well! You can typically start your workday anytime between 6am-8am. A chunk of the salaried staff here is allowed to work remotely. Benefits: 4/5 The 401K match is great. The PTO is fantastic, I literally have more time off than I know what to do with. Plus, they give you your first 6 months of PTO from the day you start. The medical/dental benefits are decent, about industry average. Pay: 3/5 This one is variable & hard to gauge. I intentionally took a $4K paycut from my last job to come here. Meanwhile, I have numerous colleagues 5-10 years out of school making 6-figures. The merit increases (2.5% or so) do not keep up with the raising CoL in Austin. This is a well known issue that has been raised to corporate. Opportunity: 4/5 There are A LOT of different positions here in the engineering umbrella. Plenty of space to laterally move into different roles. There are two positions to move up. You can become a subject matter expert over a given process and move as far as a 'Senior Principal II' engineer. Otherwise, if you choose to stick with the company, management is another route for advancement. Daily Work-Life/Stress: 4/5 Fairly standard here, some days are very relaxed. There will be that nonstop day every month or 2 with urgent needs & deadlines. Management is fairly understanding, I've had cases where we've had an issue bringing production to a halt & after a chunk of the day addressing it, our engineering director said screw it around 5:30 and told us to go home & not worry about it until tomorrow. There is always work available to do here, so just pace yourself to be productive while knowing your limits. Job security is not a major issue here.

Cons

My summary in 'Pros' captures my overall feelings about the company as an engineer. A more generous payscale to keep up with the high cost of living in Austin is desirable. Other than that, I do wish the site was a little more social, I do interact with my colleagues, but a chunk of the workday is fairly secluded at our desk.

6 people found this review helpful
    6. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Run- run as far away as possible from this company

Dec 2, 2021 - Contracts Administrator
      Business Outlook

Pros

Every other friday off at the expense of your sanity for definitely working more than 9 hours a day.

Cons

they track your actions in 6 minute increments. The minute your green icon is yellow or red, and you are walking away from your desk. your manager will come talk to you. There is no work life balance as people expect you to respond to emails at all hours of the day.

7. 4.0

Great Work-Life Balance

Sep 17, 2021 - Process Engineer in Nashua, NH
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work-Life Balance and flexible schedule Low stress Opportunity for growth Good 401k match

Cons

Weak talent retention Weak talent acquisition It department is atrocious Weak health insurance

1 person found this review helpful
    8. 5.0

Outstanding Company

Aug 30, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent benefits, work life balance, meaningful work

Cons

I have no complaints about BAE. Great place to work

9. 3.0
      Former Employee

BAE

Sep 1, 2021 - Junior Intelligence Analyst in McLean, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Reasonable hours and work life balance

Cons

There was not really a career path

10. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Fair

Jul 17, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

In general a positive workplace

Cons

No work life balance for most people at senior levels

Viewing 1 - 10 of 178 Reviews