BJSS Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 18 January 2019

3.9
Stuart Bullock

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "You will get to work on interesting projects for big clients" (in 7 reviews)

• "You get to work with some very good people, lots of expertise to pick up" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work/life balance also depends on the client, project, and project life-cycle stage" (in 4 reviews)

• "Long work hours if you're on client site, often with nightmarish commutes" (in 5 reviews)

"Excellent professional company"

I have been working at BJSS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very professional and talented people
    Treat their staff as adults
    Very good premises
    Seek the views of their staff regularly
    Only apply process where genuinely needed
    Regular socials which are fantastic
    Solid IT infrastructure
    Excellent internal online systems
    Good people management
    Lots of cutting edge work
    Always moving forward
    Amazing client list
    Open to change
    They do agile very well indeed
    The clients love what BJSS deliver
    Written their own agile book
    Don’t tolerate disrespectful behaviour
    Very good ethical values

This company knows what works and what doesn’t and they understand that the basics need to be right before anything is built on that. This company is a true leader in its space - your career and knowledge will transcend to a whole new level if you join this company.

You’ll have opportunities to work on things you don’t have familiarity with.

The company is very good at buffering their staff from unreasonable client requests and they also ensure that customers deliver on their obligations also.

BJSS have impressed me very much recently in dealing with an issue that I had. It very much boosted my confidence in BJSS and proved to me clearly that they are genuinely considerate.

My manager and squad lead are wonderful people. Also the project manager and scrum lead I had on my last project were just absolutely fantastic. The dev team I worked with was second to none and the tech lead was one of the most experienced and logical people I have ever worked with.

Other companies should take note of how BJSS operate and learn some serious lessons. Some other consultancies and agencies are not a patch on BJSS.

Simply one of the best companies in the UK.

Cons

A lot of work is off site however BJSS are trying the balance the needs of their staff and clients and they are considerably improving in this area. Naturally working on client sites can also be fun and provide great experience so this is not a hard negative.

A little unclear how promotions are dealt with.

Sickness policy is a little too strict and creates a sense of nervousness should something unfortunate happen. The company does offer income protection however this doesn’t kick in quickly enough.

I don’t personally like the resource augmentation service, but I can of course understand why BJSS offer this to clients.

Advice to Management

Continue being excellent. You are a diamond in the rough. Perhaps look at the sickness policy to see if it can be less strict to improve the feeling of security. Be careful not to lose staff experiencing resource augmentation and avoid putting new joiners into client sites immediately - in order to ensure a feeling of connectedness with the company. You are definitely improving in this respect and I’m sure you will get there. My recent experience shows that you will.

2. "Variety is the spice of life"

I have been working at BJSS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been at BJSS for just under a year and have found it a wonderful place to work. The people are friendly and dedicated, the work is varied and interesting. You will get to work with people with a huge variety of experiences which is great for helping you think about different ways to solve problems and to learn new technologies. There is loads of talks and socials which you can choose to get involved in as well.

Cons

The pay could be better and the bureaucracy can be frustrating. We are all required to get peer feedback by way of an online survey every 3 months, this is excessive and can be a bit embarrassing asking the client to fill in another survey, especially when there are a lot of BJSSers on the client team.

3. "Good company to work with"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England

Pros

Lots of opportunities, chances to work on different sectors, always looking for innovation

Cons

Moving from client to client might be boring after a while

4. "Excellent company"

Current Employee - Delivery Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Delivery Manager in London, England

I have been working at BJSS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly company who really cares about it's employees

Cons

None that I can think of

5. "Excellent Company"

I have been working at BJSS full-time

Pros

Cutting Edge Technology , Great People

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

6. "Business review"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Leeds, England
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Leeds, England

I have been working at BJSS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

quite dynamic and generally agile project management

Cons

Such a heavy focus on sprint commitments that sometimes you have to compromise quality to get stuff out of the door

"Some great people but it's too political and lack of honesty"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at BJSS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a large and growing company, with a lot of great/smart people to work with. I was inspired from some of the people I met during my time there. This includes the some of the directors.

Cons

My experience isn't great due to lack of transparency (their side), honesty and clarity. It's a very political company, based on how many people know you and like you. No matter how hard / smart you work.
    The company doesn't really care enough about their employees and so, they leave. It's growing fast and they are not able to control it.

Advice to Management

Be honest, less political and look after your staff.

8. "Grown-up company for people at their career peak"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nottingham, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nottingham, England

I have been working at BJSS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Band of brainy people solving difficult problems that change people's lives for the better. Well paid. Camaraderie. Constantly learning. It's like changing job every few months on to a new challenge without changing jobs. It's staff are it's product and cared for accordingly. They also know how to party.

Cons

None really, useless you don't like the consultancy life.

"Full on challenge, all the time"

Current Employee - Software Test Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Test Engineer

I have been working at BJSS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm working with some of the smartest people I've ever met and you constantly learn loads.

Cons

It's really really demanding and because it's a consultancy, the leadership style is on the 'hard' side. Don't come here for an easy life (that's a plus to me but it isn't for everyone). Career progression is limited and unstructured (but you'll learn enough to get a good role anywhere) and people don't go to BJSS with easy projects/problems to solve!

Advice to Management

Value and SHOW you value people more at the more grass-roots levels

"The company that takes a lot and gives little back"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at BJSS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- On balance, the quality of people is really good. They are talented, interested in technology, friendly.
    - The company does a lot of social perks, such as summer weekend away for employees and partners and children, Christmas party for employees and partners, new starter lunches, celebrations at the office, etc.
    - Fully stocked kitchen with variety of tea, nice coffee, chocolates, snacks, fizzy drinks, and alcoholic drinks and nibbles on Fridays.
    - Some of the projects are quite interesting and use a good amount of new technology.
    - There is room for cross-movement within the company, so people can change capabilities.
    - If you study for certain certifications, the company will pay for your exam. If you study on your own time (not on the bench), you also get a little bonus payment for passing the exam.

Cons

The obvious cons first:

- It is difficult to switch projects. I have heard numerous people say over the course of the past few years that they weren't able to change assignments, even though the current ones interfered with their family lives.
    - There is no career path or any kind of structure. There are capability leads and the upper management, that's that.
    - It's not about what you know, but who you know. There are definite cliques of people, and, if you're not in it, it's pretty hopeless. There are people who are the golden children, and every transgression of theirs is forgiven.
    - It largely feels like a body shop these days (London is, anyway), and we are all just replaceable resources. There is little focus on building cohesive teams.
    - Availability expectations are pretty high: people check and respond to mail out of hours, often get called when they're away, need to change their plans and reschedule pre-existing personal engagements to accommodate clients on short notice, etc.
    - A lot of people seem to be leaving the company.
    - Salary increases are rare unless you keep on about it (and even then it's not guaranteed), and that's a tad awkward for everyone involved.
    - Everyone is billable all the time, so good luck trying to get your line manager to find the time to talk to you or meet with you.
    - Compared with friends in other IT consultancies or perm jobs, private healthcare cost is somewhat high, and pension matching is rather low, and there is no dental insurance (which used to be the norm, but it's a perk a lot of companies are adding now).

Now the not-so-obvious cons:

It's been pretty well established that, when a company treats its employees, customers, etc. like they were family or friends, the employees will work harder and for less money, the customers will be more loyal even when it's not the cheapest option, and so on. So for a few years now, the company has been actively trying to position the corporate culture as operating on social norms.

In line with that, the corporate tagline has been that we're in it together, the most important thing to the company is its people, you accommodate us a little, and we'll accommodate you a lot. It's the kind of thing that builds loyalty and makes for employees who are happy and are perfectly willing to go the extra mile (or 10) for the company because it's a relationship built on social/personal exchange, not a market one.

So what's so bad about that? Either BJSS management don't understand the nature and risks of a social relationship or they don't care. It's all well and good when the company needs its good little solders to stick it out at a difficult client a little longer, to commute a little farther, to put up with a stressful project, to work a few weekends with no overtime pay, to move a holiday by a few days. But what happens when the employees need assistance from the company or the management when there is a problem with a colleague or a client? Absolutely nothing. The managers are perpetually too busy to deal with people's complaints and escalations. And it's not an isolated experience I've had, it's tens upon tens upon tens of conversations had and overheard in the London office and every client site I've been on.

If the employer-employee relationship was based on market norms to begin with, we wouldn't have false expectations. We would do the job as described, get paid, and call it a day because business is business. What happens instead, is we get sold a social relationship where we think we're going to be looked after if we're ever in need and then get stabbed in the back when we're brushed off instead of being offered assistance.

(I am sure there are individuals who take care of issues brought to their attention, but they would be extremely few and far between.)

Advice to Management

It doesn't matter how many social "friendship tokens" you provide, how many free beers or parties. The first time you break the social exchange for any employee, he or she will see it for what it is, a market exchange. And that's when you stop getting dedication, joy, extracurriculars, etc. out of that person. You absolutely cannot have it both ways. You cannot tell us we're family and then turn around and leave us high and dry with our problems when it's more convenient or profitable for you to do so. If you truly want a social relationship, you have to maintain it on your part no matter what. Else, if you want to be impersonal and have us fend for ourselves when we have problems, stop wasting our time making us think you'll be there for us. Stop giving people false expectations of the company culture and and admit that you're really using the market rules to play. Tell us what you give and what you expect back, and we'll do the contractual minimum for you without expecting any sympathy or understanding in return.

What you're doing now is taking passionate, hard-working, flexible, motivated employees (and all the good will you've created) and infuriating them by not helping them deal with an aggressive coworker, arrange leave, change clients, work remotely or whatever other problem they might be having (all real examples by the way, all shared by London colleagues).

You want to know why people are leaving? That's why. People feel disillusioned and angry, they complain to their colleagues of being ignored by the management, and then leave. And because it's an uncomfortable topic, they just say in their exit interview that they wanted more money or easier travel. And it's a crying shame, because over the last year you have lost a great deal of good people in London who have been with the company for a relatively long time.

I've met Glynn, and he's a nice chap. He might be genuinely striving for a great community at work, but it's all being lost in translation, and what we see on the ground is the complete lack of interest by the immediate management to keep the employees happy.