BJSS Reviews

Updated 14 Sep 2020

3.7
BJSS Managing Director Stuart Bullock (no image)
Stuart Bullock
Pros
  • "I've worked on incredibly interesting projects with some of the most intelligent and caring people I've ever worked with(in 11 reviews)

• "Annual weekend away for the whole family(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "Defeats the appeal of a consultancy(in 16 reviews)

• "Once you join you will be shipped off to client site if there is a project for you otherwise you will end up on the bench(in 9 reviews)

1. "great"

Current Employee - Engineer in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at BJSS part-time for more than a year

Pros

great working condition and morale

Cons

less pay and no room for improvement

2. "Good company, great culture"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at BJSS full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work with really smart people. Lots of interesting projects

Cons

requires travel outside of London, somtimes.

3. "Good place"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at BJSS full-time

Pros

Nice people. Good conditions. Benefits.

Cons

None that I can think of.

"Poor ethos and culture. Inexperienced management team."

Former Employee - Architect in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at BJSS full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free snacks. Training courses. Some clever people. Some great clients if you're lucky.

Cons

The life isn’t for everyone (myself included) and generally, the whole attitude around consultancy needs to change. Nevertheless, there were some issues even after taking this into account. At recruitment, interview, and my first day I was led to believe that the assignments would be based in London. While the contract does mention working away from home, after the introductory conversations, the assumption was that this was boilerplate. However, my first few posts were each several hour commutes. Fortunately, I managed to decline them but I was told that it was in my contract and that I should be prepared for it. The onboarding involves mainly watching videos, training material etc. There was no HR department as such and the office staff were quite junior and inexperienced, often asking consultants things they should be handling (day rates or such) or not knowing the answers to basic HR questions. Communication and process were basically poor throughout. There’s no cultural alignment or departmental vision process. A colleague and I, who also joined at the same time, had numerous conversations over what it was we were supposed to be doing – and you quickly realise you are just a contractor being managed by a bigger outfit. It wasn’t until I asked to see my line manager, we got “some” direction. That was after a couple of weeks. Others told me it had taken a month for a meeting. The direction amounted to being asked to do some training. As for the departmental vision (the artifacts, principles, etc.), we were told this was unable to be defined because each customer was different; sadly, an all too obvious cop-out and was for me, another crack in the porcelain. Thankfully, other senior members recognised the deficiency here and that it was on the radar. It may have been dealt with by now. Until you get posted, you are benched. Being benched includes updating your personal profile to better sell yourself to customers, watching training material, and sitting in on a round table telling someone what it is you’re doing – a stand-up in agile parlance. It makes you wonder, why don’t you know? Generally, there’s no consistent, flow of communication between the staff. It was all rather parochial and juvenile at times. Having come from a departmental manager role, I was surprised and disappointed to have to ask for permission to work from home - coming into London to do something that could be done at home seemed like madness to me. Normally, a block in your calendar (and managers) to indicate working from home is enough in most other places. Generally, it was often felt as if you needed to be told what to do or monitored in some way. Overall, I found the BJSS office very dull, stuffy, and depressing. For me, it was uncomfortable and confining. Things got better when I was posted on site but the BJSS issues carried over - chiefly an attitude of mistrust and by consequence, condescension from my line manager; something that contrasted starkly with the trust and support I received from the client. Moreover, communication was strained probably as a result of trust issues, with my line manager preferring instead to talk to more removed and opinionated staff rather than their own reports, then making misinformed judgments. This often made my and others working life far more stressful, complex, and difficult than it needed to be as well as damaging the trust and opportunities that may have been made with the client. It then led to needless conversations and irritation trying to clear things up. Indeed, it always felt like I (and others) were under surveillance and a bit like a playground. There were other issues with line management such as reviews being late, meetings missed, and generally poor judgment, and organisational skills. That’s not to say there aren’t some skilled and talented people at BJSS – there are. I just think some of the management team were highly questionable choices and the company needs to sort itself out. Ultimately, I loved the client, even receiving a recommendation for a promotion to the client's head of department role. Overall, I was grateful and enjoyed the experience there as it opened several doors. The salary was OK; the pension was substandard. No career plan or progression.

5. "Caring company"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Leeds, England

I have been working at BJSS full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Overall, BJSS is a good company to work for. They care for you as an individual, try to accommodate your industry/project interests (obviously balanced with client demand). People focused, and this is growing, they want you to feel happy working there. Growth was proving a structural challenge but they seem to have got the other side of this and put support structures (Squad Leads) in to help this. * industry variation is good. * Encourage you to be independent and self-learn * Friendly, encouraging, positive atmosphere * Lots of non-pay related benefits (fruit, toast, socials, annual weekend away, big Christmas party) * Caring management - always work hard to make you feel happy, comfortable, looked after and want you to get a lot from work.

Cons

* Overall benefit's package is average - pension is minimum contribution, but salary sacrifice is available, extras are available but must be paid for (at a discount), pay is incremental due to no promotions * Not a lot of career progression opportunity within role - there's grads, a capability lead, then everyone else. * Self-Development is encouraged, but not enabled by courses, funding or time (other than Azure and AWS certs)

6. COVID-19

"Great people, good leadership"

Current Employee - Technology Consultant in London, England

I have been working at BJSS full-time for more than a year

Pros

People are extremely talented, experienced and share a genuine desire to make a positive change and deliver quality work. Leadership has navigated through COVID intelligently. You are not a number.

Cons

Lack of communication with regards to changes in the business. Consulting culture is different than the rest of the business and shouldn't be.

"Very political"

2.0
    Former Employee - Full Stack Developer in London, England

I worked at BJSS full-time for more than a year

Pros

snacks, socials, beer, clients, location

Cons

political, no culture, unfriendly, no room for growth

"Only work if you don't mind travelling"

Former Employee - Technical Architect in Bristol, England

I worked at BJSS full-time

Pros

BJSS pay well for consultancy

Cons

a lot of travel if on particular projects

9. "Outstanding company to work for"

Current Employee - Digital Consultant in Leeds, England

I have been working at BJSS full-time

Pros

Great management, support and freedom to develop

Cons

Nothing that comes to mind as yet

"About Profit for Boys"

Former Employee - Platform Engineer in Leeds, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at BJSS full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some talented individuals although many of the smart ones have moved on in recent times

Cons

It was always about 100% billable, short term bonuses driven by a white middle aged mainly men leadership team - it just has zero culture and makes false promises to change by an occasional deck chair move

Found 135 reviews