BKL Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

BKL Reviews

Updated 18 July 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Brilliant place to work"

Current Employee - ACA Trainee in London, England
    Current Employee - ACA Trainee in London, England

I have been working at BKL full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a firm where all staff genuinely provide support and help to anyone who needs it. The social and team building events are awesome! There is a real sense of camaraderie in the office, which makes our working lives that much more enjoyable. The firm is going through an exciting period of growth, meaning that there will be many more opportunities for all employees down the line.

Cons

No major cons - one con would be that as the firm is going through a period of growth, that there is a lot of change happening all at once. However, a period of consolidation is taking place shortly, which should provide more stability.

Advice to Management

Continue to build on the superb atmosphere in the office, and continue to provide new opportunities to employees.

2. "Challenging and supportive"

Former Employee - Financial Reporting Manager in Hatfield, East of England, England

I worked at BKL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at BKL for five years and so far the best employer I worked for. Managers and partners gave me the best training and I felt I had a great and round knowledge once I moved into the industry. I made many good friends there and still in touch with them and the firm these days.

Cons

I really struggle to find any!

Advice to Management

Keep looking after your employees like you have always done!

3. "Superb"

Former Employee - Credit Trader in London, England
    Former Employee - Credit Trader in London, England

Pros

Pros:
    I completed my ACA with the firm almost 10 years ago before moving into financial services. Great place to start my career and would highly recommend.

Cons

Location perhaps, but nothing of note.

5. "Great place to work in and a great time to be part of BKL"

Current Employee - Audit Senior in London, England
    Current Employee - Audit Senior in London, England

Pros

Joining BKL's graduate scheme two years ago, I have been in the fortunate position to be part of the firm's ambitious growth plans which were to double in size within a five year period.
    Now that the five years are coming to an end, it is great to see the transformation that the firm has foregone.

There are plenty of opportunities at this medium sized firm which allows those looking to develop and progress to do that.

The staff at BKL are extremely friendly and eager to help which is always great, particularly when there are many experienced staff in the firm.

Cons

In certain circumstances, there is a closed community feel which is perhaps natural considering that some of the staff have been with the firm for a long time. It is particularly difficult to break into that but it can be irritating at times.

The salaries are not as competitive as the Big 4 salaries, which is expected considering that the firm is a medium sized firm but in order for the firm to continue to grow and reach new heights, salaries will require a bit of a bump.

Advice to Management

To be more open with employees, particularly about promotions and various opportunities.

To continue to engage with employees (eg from the hourses mouth meetings)

6. "Very good training firm"

Former Employee - ACA Graduate Trainee - Qualified At the Firm in Finchley, England

I worked at BKL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-focus on training and a lot of support for exams
    -good grounding for audit and accounts training
    -managers and partners are accessible and supportive
    -good social culture with many events in year
    -friendly office atmosphere

Cons

-location, north London
    -lower than market salary
    -progression is difficult
    -top heavy firm
    -basic benefits provided

Advice to Management

Should look into staff turnover

BKL Response

30 Jan 2017 – Admin

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback, it’s really appreciated. Staff turnover is something that is important for us to monitor and we hope by recruiting good quality trainees who are... More

7. "They want you to progress and are supportive"

Current Employee - Audit Staff in Finchley, England
    Current Employee - Audit Staff in Finchley, England

I have been working at BKL full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people are brilliant; the firm has a great attitude towards staff and staff engagement. Colleagues support and teach each other and its very much a collective attitude amongst the staff and partners. Growth and development is promoted amongst staff with many qualified seniors, Assistant managers, managers and some partners developing through the ranks from the graduate/AAT intake. Exposure to the different parts of the firm gives employees experience of the different parts of the firm and can give a better rounded experience to clients. The firms ambitions growth plans to double turnover in five years, is something it shares with its staff and it has become a collective goal to make the firm better for all.
    - Salary competitive with the top firms for qualified seniors and supervisors.
    - Normal working hours for most of the time. Very rare to work late unless there are tight deadlines.
    - Supportive attitude towards employees who are studying.
    - Great social side, colleagues genuinely enjoy spending time together within and out of work. Encouraged by top management.
    - Appreciative environment, hard work is recognised.
    - Client base is varied; people will work on portfolio of clients made up of different industries and types of businesses, which means every day isn’t the same.
    - Size of clients that are dealt with, vary from big to small, which people don’t necessarily realise before they join the firm

Cons

The office is based in Finchley; however most of the clients are in central London. It should be easier to meet clients and go to their premises.

Advice to Management

The culture of the firm is unique; this should be maintained and not lost as the firm grows bigger.

8. "Excellent small practice"

Former Employee - Auditor in London, England
    Former Employee - Auditor in London, England

I worked at BKL full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Breadth of experience with a wide range of clients. Excellent training support. Very strong Tax department. Good social side to working there.

Cons

Small firm in size so progression is limited. Unclear career paths for post-qualification.