BLM Law Employee Reviews about "city centre location"

Updated Jul 27, 2020

Found 6 of over 98 reviews

2.5
BLM Law Senior Partner Michael Brown (no image)
Michael Brown
Pros
  • "city centre location(in 6 reviews)

• "Work / Life balance, that's about it(in 5 reviews)

• Cons
  • "I spent almost 3 years at the firm in a non fee earning capacity and throughout my time I saw countless people leave BLM for very similar reasons(in 7 reviews)

• "Little to no training, poor management(in 6 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Reviews about "city centre location"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 3.0
      Current Employee

Good experience with reputable firm but not a long term answer

Sep 27, 2016 - Paralegal
      Business Outlook

Pros

City Centre location Respectable firm Good experience New staff will get better pay than current employees who have been doing the job for years (good if you are to join the firm)

Cons

Have stopped internal training contract candidates with years commitment to the firm from being given the opportunity undertake the first test for the position which it has done previously. Now internal and external candidates are treated the same and internal candidates applications can be dismissed without explanation so there is no benefit to working here if you want a training contract in the future as this commitment does not come into their thinking. In the 2016 intake there were no training contracts given to any internal candidates and multiple given to vacation scheme candidates who were in the office for 2 weeks. This is sad when there are over 150 candidates within BLM applying. Pretty tough to train someone on the department and how to deal with cases when they are earning £3k more than you and have never worked in defendant work when you have worked there for multiple years.

4 people found this review helpful

Resourcing Team

BLM takes developing our colleagues very seriously and trainee solicitors are an important element of our future success. It is therefore important to us that we undertake an open and transparent process when recruiting and we ask our internal and external candidates to complete the same process. We launched a dedicated section of our internal intranet to provide internal candidates with all the information that they require and many colleagues have taken advantage of seeking feedback on unsuccessful applications from our internal graduate recruitment and team. Some of the figures quoted here are inaccurate as from our 2016 intake, over 60% were internal candidates and in our 2017 intake we have offered over half of the spaces to internal candidates. During our last recruitment cycle we received 35 internal applications not the 150 stated here. We have launched a vacation scheme programme to give the firm exposure to a wider variety of candidates. As part of our first scheme, we offered a space to an internal candidate who wanted experience in a different area of law and they have subsequently secured a training contract with the firm. Further details of our vacation schemes can be found on our website here http://www.blmlaw.com/2795/pages/vacation-scheme-.html We appreciate that securing a training contract can sometimes be a difficult process, however we do have resources to help identify the best route for people to develop their careers and we are always happy to assist where we can. Alex Holmes Head of Learning & Development

2. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Feedback

Jul 27, 2020 - Lawyer in Birmingham, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

They are based in city centre

Cons

The firm is a joke. They overwork staff to the bone, too tight to invest in IT tech and management are two faced towards employees causing a toxic "them and us culture". The firm has a bad reputation for high staff turnover, people don't stay long with the firm.

2 people found this review helpful
    3. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Good managers

Jul 31, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

City Centre locations Nice office

Cons

Old Office and meetings too long

1 person found this review helpful
    4. 1.0

Admin

Jan 10, 2017 - Administrative in Manchester, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

I'm REALLY struggling with this one - City Centre location, normal office hours, job security (if pushed) but even that's on shaky grounds at best, some good people and staff employed but most are looking for new jobs, that's all I can say I'm afraid.

Cons

Where to start - low pay, staff morale on the floor, dirty offices, wallpaper is a luxury in some cases, kitchen's are not fit for purpose, they have taken away many office privileges such as Xmas bonuses, the summer BBQ, Easter eggs & full day Xmas shopping. It really is a revolving door of staff, most likely to get a long service award if you manage to complete a two year employment period. The management don't listen, or take responsibility for their own errors, basically stick their hands in the sand over issues and don't resolve problems. The fat-cats get fatter and the lower paid staff get bored in their jobs which offer no route of progression and inevitably leave & then the process repeats.

9 people found this review helpful

Resourcing Team

As a current employee, we understand you are experiencing issues with management; we would strongly encourage you to raise this directly with a member of the HR team in confidence so that we can understand more about this issue and address your points appropriately. These are matters that we take incredibly seriously and can only be resolved if raised with us, in confidence. We have a system in place whereby all staff are required to complete a personal development plan, including managers which assess performance and targets on a monthly basis, for their own benefit and personal progression at BLM. If there are underlying problems such as the individual’s workload is too large, or targets aren’t realistic, then it is addressed at each monthly 121 meeting where you can share your concerns. Managers are also required to meet with their individual team members each week to offer support, give advice or have general conversations about the workload where required. These are all outlined on your personal HR portal on the intranet – if you are not sure how to use this or track personal development please contact a member of HR and you will be supported through the process. As you know the firm has embarked on a period of business improvement and this includes a focus on ‘workplace 2020’. You will have seen that in April we relocated BLM in both Leeds and Edinburgh to bring the office environments in line with our 2020 vision and all other BLM locations will continue to be reviewed.

5. 2.0

Disappointing

Nov 12, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

City Centre Location, Free Tea and Coffee that’s probably the only positives I can say about the company and role

Cons

Terrible WiFi set up, IT processes for meetings are far too long winded; dirty offices, stressful environment being trained by a person who is constantly interrupting me, watching me like a hawk and making my confidence dwindle. Got spoken to like cr*p in the first week of role. Terrible culture

2 people found this review helpful

Resourcing Team

We are very sorry to hear that you are unhappy in your role. We would encourage you to discuss these issues with your line manager and to take advantage of the internal employee forums put in place to address any of your concerns. Please also note that our managing partner welcomes direct confidential chats if you prefer to discuss your issues direct with her.

6. 2.0

Paralegal

Jun 10, 2015 - Paralegal in Manchester, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexiable working, Holidays and city centre location

Cons

Amount of admin that fee earners do in a daily basis nand no support from admin or management to fee earners. Systems cannot cope with the amount of work coming in and they do not help give a goof impression to new and existing clients

3 people found this review helpful