BNY Mellon Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Charles W. Scharf

3,553 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "No flexibility, no regard for work/life balance or employee needs" (in 75 reviews)

• "Not much room for growth or learning, not a challenging environment so it is hard to be ambitious" (in 72 reviews)

1. "Internship BNYM"

Pros

great internship programme. Interns are given real responsibility and there is an environment to expose them to different parts of the business.

Cons

Benefits package is not attractive, in my opinion the quality of the internship programme is worth the low pay package

Advice to Management

Keep your internship programme running

2. "Great job, wonderful people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at BNY Mellon full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I worked for BNY Mellon for 10 years. When I joined it was like I was working for a grown-up company for the first time in my career. People were really respectful, encouraging, supportive. The senior leaders gave me a huge amount of trust and encouragement to create some great projects and run with my own ideas, and were interested in everything I did and what my experience was like. Colleagues were wonderful – and I made some really good friends all over the world. The offices were lovely. Great staff networks (women, LGBT, BAME, disability).

Cons

They seemed reluctant to promote people from within the company, apparently preferring to hire from outside. They lost a few good people that way, including myself. Like any large organisation, they had so many policies that were probably put in place by past issues, that it was sometimes difficult or slow to get something done that was out-of-the-norm or where technology was involved.

3. "Good for first job"

I worked at BNY Mellon full-time

Pros

Great co workers and working hours

Cons

They taught you how to do your job but not why you were doing it or what it meant

4. "Analyst"

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good office location and facilities, good deli, good work practises and time management. Good benefits e.g. healthcare and mental health helpline.

Cons

Very low pay and extreme pressure on staff. Little appreciation for the high performing staff and there is a general stress culture going on. I would only recommend this job to people who don't care about inspiration or engagament at work.

Advice to Management

Raise the pay and don't overexert your staff.

5. "Team leader"

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits and development opportunities

Cons

Not transparent with the wages

6. "Fired in 3 weeks"

I worked at BNY Mellon full-time

Pros

The on line training available at the beginning.
    Good location.

Cons

Bad management, they only want to keep the KPI's high without worrying about the people, who they employ, how to retain.
    90% of people working there do not have a college degree.
    They have no finance knowledge, they just check, copy and paste, and answer calls from clients wanting to buy & sell.

Advice to Management

None, it might take a decade or two for them to change. Career in banking within back office is becoming so unpopular, and if you're temping through an agency you most likely earn as much as a cleaner. Actually, even less than a cleaner because a cleaner do not need to buy formal clothes and expensive shoes.

"Undemanding and unrewarding"

Former Employee - Compensation Analyst in London, England
    Former Employee - Compensation Analyst in London, England

I worked at BNY Mellon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Laid back, low volume workload, no "peak" at year end, pretty much 9-5. Projects don't have deadlines, quite relaxed take on deliverables. Work life balance is not an issue here.

Not very analytical for a role that is heavy on numeracy at most organizations. More policy oriented than anything.

This job would suits somebody who wants an undemanding role with no challenges and no desire to make the role any bigger than it is.

Well paid for the level of skill required.

Cons

No development or progression, very bureaucratic. No value add. Projects just bounce around until they lose all meaning. Can be demotivating if you value having meaningful outputs in your job. Not one for anyone with even an ounce of professional ambition.

The team is run on personality politics at the senior manager level, it can be a bullying and unpleasant atmosphere if you find yourself on the wrong side of certain personalities.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the dead wood and measure the team on what they produce. Some of the management team have a track record of poor ethics and behavior, act on this instead of just watching the role turn over every 12-24 months.

8. "Risk Analyst"

Current Employee - Vice President, Risk Management in London, England
    Current Employee - Vice President, Risk Management in London, England

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, Giant company with lots of people, prime location

Cons

"Toxic, "America First" syndrome"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Large organisation, with varied businesses provide a wide spectrum of experience.

Cons

Senior management changes every few years, each time bringing new strategies (similar to the NHS). All previous plans are scrapped and we start over again, on a path already tried a few years ago. Middle management is a joke. They are political charlatans who care nothing for the company, the clients or employees. This fudgy lot play politics and favouritism, in every effort to maintain their position. The constant change along with self-serving management style leaves employees in a toxic work environment with no future at the company. Most leave fast and there is a high staff turnover - which cost your shareholders dearly.

Advice to Management

The majority of middle managers are not worthy of their titles or pay grade, so get rid of them.

10. "Office politics"

I worked at BNY Mellon full-time

Pros

Modern working interior, Giant company with lots of people, prime location

Cons

Office politics- you need to know how to play the game, managment,

Advice to Management

be more social and respect others as you expect to be respected.

Showing 3,553 of 3,829 reviews