BPP Holdings Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Full-timePart-time

2.4
Graham Gaddes

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I get to work from home which is more flexible, salary is good but not competitive" (in 5 reviews)

• "Flexible Working if requested - part time work/ flexi hours" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Truly incompetent senior management team driving away talented employees" (in 6 reviews)

• "no progression completely dead end" (in 5 reviews)

1. "Great"

Current Employee - Client Service Executive in London, England
    Current Employee - Client Service Executive in London, England

I have been working at BPP Holdings full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly staff great company. Support you to grow by providing free courses to staff and health benefits as well as vouchers.

Cons

Can be repetitive so might get boring. There is no bonus scheme or incentives, everything is steady so great job if youre happy not progressing

Advice to Management

Increase pay

2. "Not appreciated"

I worked at BPP Holdings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great experience
    Great colleagues
    London
    Equipment

Cons

You are only appreciated if you have the right connections -- achievements don't matter
    They say they promote change but only if it is economically good and it is not about who is the best
    Office politics before everything and everyone -- and promotes those who are stirring it
    Unable to respond to student issues and their support to student is all about retention and money
    Salary low and they don't give you the option to negotiate
    Operates as a business and not as a university
    No opportunities to progress or grow
    Lack of student and employee community

Advice to Management

More focus on students
    More focus on keeping employees who are good
    Less office politics

3. "Good work life balance"

Current Employee - Operations in London, England
    Current Employee - Operations in London, England

I have been working at BPP Holdings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really good people, very supportive team.
    Good work life balance, opportunities for flexible working, working from home, flexible hours etc. Would especially fit a working mom
    Good annual leave allowance (25 raising to 30 after a few years)
    Decent benefits

Cons

Very little opportunity for progression. If you are happy to to what you do without too much pressure it is the place for you
    Staff seem disengaged, disinterested. Senior management is only focused on students, ignoring staff wishes and wellbeing. There are no decent staff breakout areas.
    Office environment is pretty dead. What I would call “office plankton”

Advice to Management

Only have it 4 stars out of respect to my line manager cause she was really good and encouraged initiative and trusted people.
    Do not ignore staff, invest some in people

4. "International Admissions Officer"

Current Employee - International Admissions Officer in London, England
    Current Employee - International Admissions Officer in London, England

I have been working at BPP Holdings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible working hours, work from home

Cons

Long distance to travel, bad traffic

"Student"

Former Employee - Student in London, England
    Former Employee - Student in London, England

I worked at BPP Holdings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of help offered to existing students compared to some other uni's (via online tutorials and workshops) ; various reading materials and mechanisms in place to help with studying.

Cons

Very dull institution; no place for students seeking a social life or utilizing the uni's features - old and basic. Loads of international students; seems more like a large, neglected office rather than a university. Constant changing of module leaders and tutors gets annoying.

Advice to Management

Have some consistency with staff and possibly more social events.

6. "A place with potential but managed by incompetent people"

Former Employee - Tutor in London, England

I worked at BPP Holdings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Flexible working
    - Decent pay
    - Interesting work
    - Access to professional courses for free
    - Great colleagues/tutors

Cons

- Truly incompetent senior management team driving away talented employees
    - No bonuses nor incentives for people who work hard/overtime
    - Shocking levels of office politics
    - Huge budget cuts with numerous people being fired/let go (driving staff morale down)
    - Appalling communication system, decisions are all made behind closed doors and people who are directly affected by the outcome of the decisions are not asked for their opinion
    - Incompetent ''managers'' focus on petty things and there is a toxic blaming culture
    - The operations side is pathetic and run by truly incompetent people (probably one of the most frustrating things as it directly affects day-to-day work of the tutors)
    - There is no appropriate training and development for managers, who are all completely clueless when it comes to people skills

If you are thinking about a career in academia, then do not waste your time and look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

- Listen to your employees, they might have a point
    - Try harder to retain the good people, you have plenty
    - Stop thinking short-term
    - Trying to save money and making cuts by letting good employees go is a recipe for disaster

7. "Great place in the early years"

Former Employee - Tutor in London, England

I worked at BPP Holdings (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fantastic teaching; great colleagues in the main. Fast moving and innovative

Cons

Latterly stifling management and shift in focus of the business

"The Fawlty Towers of Higher Education"

I have been working at BPP Holdings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Pay compared to other Higher Educational institutions
    -Flexible Working if requested - part time work/ flexi hours
    -Study for free

Cons

As a lawyer I need to start of with “In my opinion and allegedly”
    There are now redundancies taking place - most departments have cleared out and been hit already.
    The work environment has now turned into a real life Hunger Games movie were people are fighting for their jobs.
    All the good staff have left and found alternative jobs.
    Office politics
    Secret deals for staff seen throughout, home workers get paid same if not more than staff who travel into the office 5 days a week.
    Programme member who travels internationally - will fly to the caribbean and other places on business class - what a joke !
    HR make multiple errors on contracts
    The students come last
    Marking allocations high more than reasonable in short deadlines
    Savings to be made for buy out soon to come

Advice to Management

Staff are not just numbers they are individuals

9. "The Fawlty Towers of Higher Education"

I have been working at BPP Holdings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Highly paid wages compared to other institutes
    - Flexible working if requested
    - Study for free

Cons

As a lawyer I should first start with "In my opinion" and "allegedly" before I give my comments.
    Currently there is a restructure taking place for redundancies, and all departments within BPP have had their turn within the last 6 months. All the good managers have left the last 12 months.
    Staff is currently battling it out like the "Hunger Games" to keep their job.
    There is one programme staff who travels internationally for business flying business class - what a joke! I think a return to the Caribbean cost £4k whilst staff cant get paid overtime for marking.
    - Too much staff politics
    - Too many secret deals taking place behind the scenes
    -Wrong people being promoted
    - Toxic place to work in
    -Students come last
    - HR - too many errors with contracts

Advice to Management

Set the tone correctly at the top and be professional - so it filters down.
    Employees are not just numbers they are humans.

10. "Awful, profit driven company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

I have been working at BPP Holdings full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working hours are good, and being able to work from home once a week is nice (when I feel I'm allowed to). Colleagues in my team are nice.

Cons

- Profit driven education is just morally wrong, in my opinion. The money always comes first, while the student comes second. For example, BPP took on new Liverpool students in January, but announced to students in April it was closing the Liverpool site. They knew they were going to close it months and months in advance, seeing as we all knew the lease was up.
    - The national sites system is broken. For example, my manager is based elsewhere, while my colleagues are all based in London, while I am in Manchester. As a relatively new employee, this is awful. I can't immediately bounce ideas off my colleagues or manager, I have to email or Skype them, and hope they reply, by which time I will have just done what I wanted to ask for tips and advice with. This isn't just my team either. Many teams are stretched across sites, and even though colleagues are all part of the same teams, things get done differently across the different sites, so there is no consistency.
    - Many of the lecturers, while nice, have a stick up their back side and have massive egos. There is also far too much office politics, and back office nonsense.
    - Constant "streamlining" initiatives to save money. This just means the employees and students get a raw deal, or worse, they are sacked/made to leave.
    - Generally, just the worst education establishment I have worked at. It has no ethos, apart from make money and uphold some nonsense corporate image. Its moral values and purpose is non-existent.
    - It teaches chiropractic courses, a "profession" which has no basis in academia or medical science. It is the only university that teaches such nonsense.
    - BPP isn't a real university, it's just a business. Real universities exist to benefit students, local communities, academia and research. BPP exists to make profit, for a massive American multinational.

Advice to Management

- Get out of the university trade. You don't deserve to be in education.
    - Put education and the students before profit.
    - Sort out your national model. If McDonald's can manage to be consistent across thousands upon thousands of branches, why can't you?