Babcock International Group Employee Reviews about "senior management"

Updated 25 Nov 2019

3.5
Babcock International Group Chief Executive Officer David Lockwood
David Lockwood
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "senior management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Good place to work"

5.0
    Former Employee - Commercial in Bristol, England

I worked at Babcock International Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great staff and team ethics, Needs more top down decisions but good place to work with interesting projects and interactions.

Cons

Constant senior management churn is demotivating.

2. "Good company, good growth opportunities, however pay is below national average."

Current Employee - Project Manager in Plymouth, England

I have been working at Babcock International Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Genuinely interested in the development of employees.

Cons

Still an remnants of “the boys club” amongst Senior Management.

3. "Senior management need to pay more attention."

Former Employee - Administrator in Lyneham, England

I worked at Babcock International Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great team members both Babcock, military and civvie.

Cons

Head of site and other members of top senior management made little effort to visit staff to see if any support may have been needed in the work environment.

"Good work/life balance, but not for progression"

Former Employee - Assistant Project Manager in Bristol, England

I worked at Babcock International Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good work/life balance Flexi time Cycle to work scheme 2 weeks special paid leave for reservists (on top of annual leave) Good graduate/apprentice scheme Bike shed

Cons

Hard to progress without jumping through many, many, many...hoops (unless you're a graduate) and development isn't always available Equality is viewed as only gender related and not the wider picture Hard to get behind some senior management views as it's not always people focused Bit of a civil servant attitude, a lot of people lack drive and innovative thinking, which can be frustrating and lead to poor teamwork Pay lip service to mental health issues

"Behind the times."

2.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Devonport, England

I worked at Babcock International Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexi-time with early Friday finish. Fair holiday allowance. Good work / life balance. Good attempt at benefits package. Good graduate scheme.

Cons

Silo working / excessive politics. Poor middle management, even worse senior management. Little training to help progress. Bullying culture. Poor pay. Too many older staff getting away with doing nothing all day long and the younger staff wanting to make a difference picking up the slack, with no reward.

March 13, 2019Social Media Exec

Thank you for your review. We’d like to assure you that our team are listening and take all reviews very seriously. Your feedback is extremely valuable to us to provide the best experience possible for our employees. If you would like to speak to us in more detail about your experiences then you can email us in confidence at careers@babcockinternational.com and we can arrange a discussion.

6. "Babcock"

Current Freelancer - Pipefitter in Rosyth, Scotland

I have been working at Babcock International Group for more than 3 years

Pros

job security, good salary, four day working week

Cons

long distance travel, decision making from senior management, poor communication with blue collar workers

"If your face fits"

Current Employee - Customer Support in Coventry, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Babcock International Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Most team members and visitors are great, pension seems good, share options available, working environment is good and free parking too.

Cons

Senior management can be a barrier to moving forward, up or even sideways. Very rarely acknowledged let alone appreciated. No pay progression available, so we've been told!

February 7, 2018Head of Social

"Where to start....."

1.0
    Current Employee - Manager in Andover, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Babcock International Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people I work with; professional subscriptions paid. I struggle to think of much more than this - there is a Flexi working hours scheme but this is constantly under threat from senior managers.

Cons

A disorganised, reactive senior management that continually struggles to organise delivery of the business in a sustainable way and creates huge uncertainty resulting in disengaged and unmotivated staff. The business works in silos and seems to be driven by finance, with little attempt to engage employees. Other reviews, for other parts of the business have mentioned that the company lives by 'Babcock Values' - that is certainly not the case in the Division in which I am employed. Lip service is paid at best and I have seen no evidence of this culture being driven from the top - the opposite would be true.

January 30, 2018Head of Social

"Engineer"

I have been working at Babcock International Group full-time

Pros

Good career opportunities Supportive in developing its employees knowledge

Cons

Working on its diverse culture. Silo working lack of communication. Mixed messages from senior management Lack of basic employee needs ( somewhere to have lunch away from the desk)

November 24, 2017Head of Social

Thanks for your review. We appreciate your feedback.

10. "Would not recommend!"

2.0

I worked at Babcock International Group part-time for more than a year

Pros

Relatively good working hours - although this seemed wholly dependant on location and department. Large company, with exposure to cross divisional relationships. Some realy nice people work here.

Cons

Some of the senior management (Directors), certainly on the Skills and Learning side of the business are unsupportive, pressurising and unpleasant to deal with, sadly. It's very much a 'face fits', bully type culture and if you dare disagree or challenge as part of your role, you may as well have written your resignation. Limited support, lots of deadlines and decisions take a lifetime. You could put in hours and hours of work for various contracts/ bids, for this never to come off, therefore wasting time. One of the Directors is notorious for being rude, obnoxious and demanding, never saying thank you and is therefore, incredibly awkward to work for. Another, in a field you would expect a level of engagement and specialist knowledge, is limited when it comes to interpersonal skills and lacks credibility amongst her peers. Lots of gossiping about other departments and people, in general.

September 13, 2017Head of Social

Thank you for your review. We’re sorry you feel this way. Your role is important to us at Babcock and we highly value what you think. We’re keen to better understand your experience so we can learn from it, so if you would like to tell us more, please email us in confidence at careers@babcockinternational.com. We can then follow up with a personal call if you would like to talk with us in person.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 21 English Reviews