Babylangues Reviews

Found 57 of over 94 reviews

3.8
Babylangues CEO Mathias Benoit-Levy
Mathias Benoit-Levy
Pros
  • "Lots of great events are put on for the instructors throughout the year(in 11 reviews)

• "working with babylangues(in 6 reviews)

• Cons
  • "It may take a while to settle in to living and working in a new country, but being part of the Babylangues community helps to ease the transition(in 16 reviews)

• "A "one size fits all" training session ((in 4 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

The latest conversations about Teachers

Join the conversation on

Teachers

1y

a

West Virginia Elementary School Teacher

Who is taking the COVID-19 Shot? Do you think all teachers should?

2,927

972 Comments

Teachers

178.9K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/teachers/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.co.uk&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Babylangues~501666
    Join the conversation on
    1. 5.0

BabyLangues language assistant

Mar 3, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Staff very easy to communicate with.

Cons

None spring to mind to be honest.

2. 5.0

Great international work experience

Oct 22, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fantastic opportunity to gain international work experience in a business environment. I was given the opportunity to play an integral part in the company's inner workings and was entrusted independence in all of my responsibilities. As an ERASMUS student, my French vastly improved through practicing in a professional context and it was a great chance to experience French culture from within the workplace in general. All of my office colleagues were a great pleasure to work with and the intimate family nature of Babylangues' philosophy clearly extends right from the family-instructor relationship through to the company's management. In terms of the out of office domain, Babylangues was very supportive in their provision of perks, including restaurant tickets and free access to a wide range of social/international student events in Paris. Overall, my time working in the office was fantastic; I gained valuable professional experience abroad and had the chance to work with and get to know some great people. Would highly recommend.

Cons

I can't think of any cons

3. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Awful company!

Feb 2, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in London, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The only pro is the family they matched me to work with, they were great!

Cons

Literally everything else! When I first started working in Paris I started with another agency and my friend was with babylangues, when I accompanied them on their induction and they asked what company I was working for they said I HAD to work for them otherwise my friend couyldn't start. Conflict of interest or some rubbish. SO WHAT!? So I had to say bye to my family and make an excuse and work for them otherwise we both couldn't work in Paris. Shocking behaviour. And then also... -They charge the families 23 euros an hour for their service and give their employees 10/hour - They are so so rude, the husband and wife owners are the worst. So condescending and arrogant - The training was shocking, a few slide shows on how to teach the English and that's it! You're apparently trained and ready to go - The material provided to teach is poor, I had advanced English speaking kids and it was WAY too easy, it took almost a year for them to provide me with actual material and I didn't use it often anyway because it was so rubbish - No support, no help or advice, and none of the benefits first stated like the free mobile phone or lessons

CEO

At Babylangues, the employment of one instructor can in no way impact that of another, so your claim that you were forced to work here confuses us. It goes without saying that all of our employees work with us because they want to, and when people come into the office with their friends, asking about the job, we are happy to offer them hours if they are interested in taking them. Although it may be unusual in your native country, in France the gap between what your family paid and what you earned is completely normal and in accordance with the modèle social français, which ensures every French citizen’s right to a pension, to unemployment benefit and to free healthcare, as well as covering VAT. We also pride ourselves on paying our instructors more than any other French companies offering similar employment. With regards to your comments about training, even fully qualified teachers who come and work for Babylangues attend and profit from the session, where the company’s unique approach and teaching methodology are explained in detail. It also contains very important information about health and safety that our instructors must be aware of. If anyone does not feel ready to begin teaching afterwards, we are always here to help and give advice. On a similar note, we are well aware that our instructors work with children of all levels of proficiency in English, which is why we make sure that the teaching materials - which are provided in your first week - are adaptable and varied. Again, we are always on hand to respond to any questions about the teaching materials and assignments, and to suggest alternatives if a certain approach is not working. The free mobile phones are available on request, and the free French lessons are offered to every one of our instructors both in Paris and in other cities. The company could not continue if it were to make false promises about employee benefits that it did not intend to keep. The office staff share the same experiences and interests as our instructors, and so have a genuine desire to make things as easy and enjoyable as possible for them. We are sorry to hear that you had a bad experience, but we are always available if you want to get in touch with us to discuss further. We take any issues that our instructors experience very seriously and remain open to constructive advice or suggestions during their exit interviews.

4. 5.0

highly recommend!

Sep 7, 2017 - English Teacher in Bristol, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

A great company to work for - really stands out over the other agencies. I met some lovely families, and the office staff were extremely helpful and supportive, always eager to help out even if not a work- related issue. Warm family-feel to this company and do not regret working here.

Cons

nothing in particular , all good

5. 1.0
      Current Employee

Awful Experience - Don't work here

Sep 12, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Rubbish - Awful Company - Zero progression

Cons

Arrogant management Little responsibility for interns Zero opportunity to speak French (this was the point of spending a year abroad in France) Horrible offices

5 people found this review helpful

CEO

Bonjour, We are finding it difficult to comprehend the reasoning behind some of your observations, as they bear very little resemblance to the reality of working here at Babylangues. Firstly, French is the language which is used to effectuate all official operations here, meaning that there are plenty of opportunities to speak it throughout the working day. Anyone who had truly worked for us would understand how much pleasure our French employees take in explaining the meaning of words, phrases and idioms to the interns who have come here to learn. This desire to help interns to improve their French extends to an eagerness to provide them with the skills that will enable them to enjoy a successful career in the future. As a company, Babylangues aspires to grant children a more profound understanding of the world through immersing them in a new language, and it is this ethos which pervades daily life in our office. Internships at Babylangues centre on learning about the business world in an active manner, meaning that they are never simply a question of running errands or making coffee. The hands-on nature of these positions leaves no room for arrogance or condescension in the exchanges between the management and the interns, as the two work constantly in conjunction with each other.. Our office is situated in a well-lit Haussmannian building in the centre of Paris, complete with cornicing, marble fireplaces, wooden floors and a view of the 3rd arrondissement. Everyone who works here praises its pleasant and comfortable feel, and no one who had actually seen it would feel justified in describing it as ‘horrible’. Similarly, your suggestion that we should ‘pay [our interns] something’ makes very little sense, as French law states that internships in this country must be paid. Babylangues of course honours this requirement and has also decided to pay their interns more than the minimum wage prescribed by the state, meaning that their salary rests in the upper bracket of internships in Paris. In addition to this, they are reimbursed for a proportion of their travel expenses and provided with Tickets Restaurant. The fact that you have seen it fit to publish these comments, which can be viewed as nothing but untrue, suggests to us that you have never worked for Babylangues, as you have no grasp of the reality of operations at our company. It is also fortunate that this review is anonymous, as it could be said that these untruthful allegations are libellous. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to explain to you who we are, and to tell you about our company’s values and aims.

6. 4.0
      Former Employee

A good first step into the workplace

Jun 5, 2017 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

I look back fondly on my time at Babylangues as an intern. As a second year with no office experience, choosing to work at Babylangues over teaching English afforded my a first office experience and an opportunity to speak French in a real business environment. The office culture was relaxed and sociable, and the location second to none. Overall, I would recommend Babylangues as a year abroad work experience placement.

Cons

This isn't an internship making tea if that's what you're after! Be ready to jump in to real work straight away, but that isn't a bad thing and if you embrace the level of autonomy that you are given you will gain a lot. A small number of office staff manage a large number of English instructors which can be logistically challenging; I have no doubt that as the company grows the processes will become smoother and the small size is an advantage as you can take on much more responsibility than in a large corporate company.

7. 4.0

English Instructor

Jul 8, 2016 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay, good communication with company, good student part-time job

Cons

Not many opportunities in the city I was in

2 people found this review helpful

CEO

Bonjour! Thank you very much for reviewing your experience at Babylangues. We really appreciate your positive comments! Kind regards, The Babylangues Team

8. 5.0
      Current Employee

A fruitful experience with a promising company

Aug 1, 2014 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have found the past 12 months working at Babylangues to be a fruitful and enriching experience. The skills and competences I have acquired will no doubt stand me in very good stead for future employment. I have benefited from the regular exposure to native French speakers and, alongside an Anglo-French office working environment, enjoyed the vibrant, international camaraderie. The concept of Babylangues is one which certainly has much potential in France, and our current instructors who often pop by the office expressed their gratitude at being offered such an eye-opening opportunity. I can safely say that Babylangues does indeed ensure that both instructors and office workers find out about the training and teaching methodology, so everyone involved feels part of a friendly, international community. On an additional note, office interns are treated well and the financial bonus system is definitely a major perk! Overall, it has been a successful experience and I would recommend working for Babylangues to others.

Cons

As a relatively young company, there are abviously still a few teething problems, but nothing which seriously detracts from the smooth running of the business on the whole. You can't expect to find the work to be a doddle, but that in itself is not necessarily a con. You might be expected to think on your own two feet, yet this reaps even greater rewards of satisfaction in the end.

3 people found this review helpful
    9. 5.0

Interstign Experience

Jun 20, 2022 - English Teacher in Tours, Centre
      Business Outlook

Pros

I did this as a part time job while studying in France. It is contract based. You will be matched with family and each family has different time requirements and needs. My family was lovely, I picked their child up from school once a week and spent 2.5 hours with him playing gfames and speaking in English.

Cons

I dont think you could make a living out of this, It was a nice experience and part time job but I couldn't imagine living off it permanently. When I finished I asked them for help with getting my tax back but they couldn't help me navigate it

10. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Good starting point for students

Jun 22, 2022 - English babysitter in Paris
      Business Outlook

Pros

You're fine if you only speak English

Cons

Pay doesn't increase much if you teach/babysit 2 children. Only from 3 or even 4 does it get better.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 57 Reviews

Babylangues Reviews FAQs

Babylangues has an overall rating of 3.8 out of 5, based on over 94 reviews left anonymously by employees. 78% of employees would recommend working at Babylangues to a friend and 66% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 8% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Babylangues employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.6 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Babylangues. This rating has improved by 8% over the last 12 months.

78% of Babylangues employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Babylangues 3.6 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.5 for culture and values and 3.0 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Babylangues to be management, culture, career development and the cons to be benefits .

Popular Careers with Babylangues Job Seekers