Bain & Company Manager Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Bain & Company Worldwide Managing Director Bob Bechek
Bob Bechek

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "A great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in London, England

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Interesting and impactful work, lots of learning, great people and lots of fun; varied experience and a flexible career over time.

Cons

Hours can be long, though their is a focus on sustainabililty and leadership work hard to manage these;

Advice to Management

Stay focused on the people!

2. "Great culture, amazing teams"

Current Employee - Manager in London, England

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fast pace learning, respectful of work life balance

Cons

very few cons if you're looking for a competitive career (not a place to relax for a couple of years)

3. "Amazing"

Former Employee - Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - Manager in London, England

I worked at Bain & Company (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Tremendous learning experience
    - Look after staff well
    - Great training
    - Fun people

Cons

- Long work hours
    - Lots of travel which eventually gets tiring

5. "Amazing place to work"

Current Employee - Manager in London, England

Pros

Fantastic colleagues, well paid, very interesting job

Cons

Job is challenging - flip side to the interest and pay, but it is managed as well as it could be

6. "Learn from the brightest"

Current Employee - Manager in London, England

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Partners from the firm are very experienced, sharp and want to invest in the development of the people in their teams. As a manager from South America I was warmly welcomed, but also pushed to deliver more insights, client results and an extraordinary team morale.

Cons

Although the firm has been emphasizing work-life balance a lot, you simply cannot expect to learn and deliver the same in a 9 to 5 day. Unlike in a bank, there's no 'facetime' culture, but 60 hour weeks are common.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing for enduring client relationships and celebrating client results above all else. That is what differentiates us the most and will help us continue to build a leading player in the top tier of consulting.

"Deserves its employee awards"

Current Employee - Manager in London, England

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

For the right enquiring, hard working mind, Bain is an amazing place to work. Great problems to solve, great people to work with, great clients and a great apprenticeship process to reall accelerate talent to its full potential. Over the course of a career, there is real felxibility to get the work - life balance right. If you live for interesting work, this is a great place.

Cons

It is hard work, and not everyone has the passion and mental flexibility to make it work. And if you work to live, and want lots of evenings for other interests, this is not the right place for you.

Bain & Company Response

25 Nov 2014 – Director, Global Consultant Talent Management

Thanks for sharing your experience working here - you've really encapsulated the mix of hard work, passion, smarts and commitment to learning that forms the essence of a career with us. It's also... More

8. "I've had a great few years at Bain - great people, supportive environment and the world's top companies business issues"

Current Employee - Manager in London, England

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Bain is a great organisation; the people are smart, friendly and motivated (walk into any office worldwide and they all feel like Bain offices), the environment is supportive and people genuinely want to help you out, and we wok with many of the worlds biggest companies to help them solve interesting and challenging business isues

Cons

Like all consulting firms the hours can be long, but Bain does try and help everyone manage this in a variety of ways. I've been constantly stretched which is great for learning but can be a bit tiring after a while!

Advice to Management

Keep working to keep the Bain culture what it is today - its what makes the company such a great place to work

"Great place to work"

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at Bain & Company full-time

Pros

Incredible people, lots of opportunities

Cons

Struggling to stay true to roots with growth - next 1-2 years will be interesting. Getting increasingly hierarchical.

Advice to Management

More open and honest communication

"Welcome to Bain"

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Welcome to Bain. I'm going to give you a problem that neither the CEO nor his entire management team could solve. And I'm probably going to give you lots of different opinions and imperfect data sources. And then I'll ask you to focus in on where the most value is and convince all those people with different opinions that you're right. But don't worry, I'm also going to give you a Bain team. Those associates and consultants are going to be tenacious in coming up with creative approaches. Those managers and partners are going to knock down barriers for you, connect you where you need to be connected, guide, support, direct and re-direct you. The office support staff is going to fix your computer after you spilled coffee on it for the third time, find you the unfindable data source, and smile and hand you a baked good after you ask for help re-doing dozens of slides. You are empowered and accountable but you are not alone. And the best part is you can't fail. Because after all, what all those people are reinforcing is that a Bainie never lets another Bainie fail.

Cons

Here's how you know you've made it at Bain. The reward for doing a good job is getting a bigger, tougher problem next time. Meaning, you are always solving the easiest problem you will ever solve again. This takes a lot of resilience and active managing of self-expectations to remember that you are not actually getting worse, the problems are just getting harder. So my advice is to remember that. And then take a second to realize that it would be a lot less fun if the reverse were true. And isn't that precisely why you wanted this job in the first place anyway? It sure was for me.

Advice to Management

Continue to find and promote the leadership that lives our operating principles.

Bain & Company Response

27 Sep 2016 – Director, Global Consultant Talent Management

You have captured the essence of what it means to work here! Thanks for sharing your experience.

11. "Truly The Best Place To Work"

Current Employee - Manager Assistant in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Manager Assistant in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

While interviewing at Bain and researching the company I was highly skeptical about the raving reviews. I am happy to report that after working here for ~3 months, I LOVE BAIN - the company values are practiced and seen everyday; the environment is fun, supportive, and interesting; and the people are intelligent, caring, and, for the most part, all wonderful to be around. I hope to be at Bain for many years to come and can't imagine a better work place.

Cons

If I had to criticize something, I would say there are a few CSS members who do not necessarily embrace the Bain motto - "A Bainie Never Let's a Bainie Fail". There are only a handful and it really does not influence the overall culture so don't let a few bad seeds steer you away from a truly amazing company!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work and continued dedication to grow the people, brand, and firm!