Bain & Company Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

1,710 reviews

Full-timePart-time

1,710 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • work-life balance is incredible with a lot of flexibility/autonomy (in 68 reviews)

• Steep learning curve: if you keep up with the work load, you will learn a huge amount and set yourself up for a great career at the firm and beyond (in 59 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard to ensure work-life-balance & sustainability (in 270 reviews)

• Sometimes long hours as always in consulting (in 314 reviews)

1. "Great place to build your career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Best people i've ever worked with; hands down the most intelligent, down to earth, humble and fun mix of people you will ever find. Most interesting variety of work and a real opportunity to build your own Bain. Incredibly flexible for high performers, with great opportunities to shape what you want.

Cons

Hours can be tough, though you learn alot about yourself and how to prioritise what's important to you

Advice to Management

Ensure leadership continually work to prioritise having a life, to avoid talent drain to competing industries

2. "Bain as a consultant"

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time

Pros

Excellent training and diverse range of projects. Involvement close to the action on projects with real impact. Great bunch of people. Genuine culture of results-focus, which to my mind makes it (a) ethically sound and (b) better training for future line or entrepreneur role. Great flexibility as you become more senior.

Cons

Pressured environment where mistakes are forgiven but not forgotten. Constant review process makes for rapid and satisfying development, but also "always on" atmosphere. Often long hours.

3. "Best place to work!"

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Bain is the best company to start my career. The number one thing that attracted me to Bain was the people I met through the interview process and the reality has absolutely lived up to my expectations. Over the last 3 years I have been seduced by Bain's strong and supportive culture and in the process have made some really strong friends. I have also been able to take advantage of the flexibility options and live and work in the US for 6 months.

The work itself is really challenging and rewarding, everything an ambitious young graduate is looking for in a new job. I had the opportunity to work in a variety of industries, ranging from Oil & Gas to Finance and made some tangible impact while building strong relationships with my clients.

Cons

Sometimes the clients are based outside London which means I had to travel during the week. This is a reality of any consulting job and is fun at first while exploring new places, but can sometimes be tiring when combined with the intensity of the job

Advice to Management

Maintain the supportive and vibrant culture and ensure that it is driven from the top - partners and managers need to live and breath Bain!

5. "Bain"

Current Employee - Principal in London, England

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great place to work with very high quality people, interesting clients and super-challenging case work. Good career progression comes as standard, with very good promotion opportunities and broader career transition effectiveness

Cons

Like all consulting, you will work hard. We're client facing, so we do focus on delivering to a very high standard, which can feel quite relentless if not managed properly.

6. "Learn from the brightest"

Current Employee - Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Manager in London, England

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Partners from the firm are very experienced, sharp and want to invest in the development of the people in their teams. As a manager from South America I was warmly welcomed, but also pushed to deliver more insights, client results and an extraordinary team morale.

Cons

Although the firm has been emphasizing work-life balance a lot, you simply cannot expect to learn and deliver the same in a 9 to 5 day. Unlike in a bank, there's no 'facetime' culture, but 60 hour weeks are common.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing for enduring client relationships and celebrating client results above all else. That is what differentiates us the most and will help us continue to build a leading player in the top tier of consulting.

7. "Great first job"

Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At Bain the positive you get:
    - A well-rounded skillset with rigorous in-office and global training
    - Management skills from 1-2 years into the job
    - Good compensation
    - Amazing culture with fun, ambitious people

Cons

At Bain the negatives you get:
    - Can be difficult to create work-life balance
    - Long hours

8. "Incredible place to work"

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time

Pros

- Working with high profile clients at CEO and C-suite level, helping them solve their most critical issues.
    - Wide variety of projects, both from a sector and capabilities standpoint
    - Incredible learning opportunities on the job, one is always pushed out of one's comfort zone
    - Strong coaching and training culture, both formally and informally (fantastic investment in global training sessions)

Cons

- Specific to the consulting industry and not Bain in particular: long hours, travel, and hard-working culture make it challenging on a work/life balance perspective (although better than some competitors), despite management's focus on improving project experience
    - Lack of flexibility on staffing at times (typical to consulting also)

Advice to Management

- Keep doing what you are doing!

9. "A great place to start your career"

Current Employee - Principal in London, England

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- A supportive culture (e.g. learning and mentoring)
    - The ability to make an impact (for our clients and in our communities)
    - Best in class maternity leave

Cons

- It's client service; sometimes the hours can be long

10. "Deserving of "best place to work""

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are fantastic, you will learn great skills, the work is challenging, interesting and impactful. Lives up to its name as a career accelerator.

Cons

Longer hours for some cases - but management is aware and will usually try and adapt approach to improve sustainability. Generalist model isn't for everyone.

11. "The place to start a career"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time

Pros

The best job you can get out of university to set yourself up
    -Learning is phenomenal
    -Culture is spot on
    -People are unbelievably smart

Cons

- Long hours; certain Partners are not 'current' Bain and don't have a focus on worklife balance

Advice to Management

Drive sustainability as much as possible; if you can crack that you will have the best people proposition hands down

Showing 1,710 of 1,823 reviews