Bain & Company Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

1,803 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great"

I worked at Bain & Company full-time

Pros

Amazing people, great variety, good escalating compensation

Cons

Can be variable and long hours. Easy to get sucked into the culture

Advice to Management

Manage hours and keep doing what you are doing! I had an amazing experience

2. "Working at Bain"

Pros

Great people and great atmosphere. Chance to work with fantastic companies and travel the world. Career opportunities are really good.

Cons

Working at Bain and Company can be very time absorbing and sometimes the travel can be difficult. As in any job work life balance can sometimes be overwhelming.

Advice to Management

My advice to the management would be to continue to maintain a really encouraging atmosphere and embracing open and honest values.

3. "Bain"

I worked at Bain & Company full-time

Pros

Co-workers are the main pros: bright people and a positive attitude. Salary is good, with some benefits that serve to add to the overall package.

Cons

The usual in this sort of consulting work: long hours, which can be unpredictable. Being away from home / the office for three or four days a week is common.

5. "Associate Consultant at Bain"

Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very interesting work; Real efforts to help consultants to maintain a reasonable work life balance; Plenty of opportunities to take 'breaks' and try new things (social impact externships, office transfers, MBA)

Cons

Consulting is a tough industry, particularly in the top tier - there is nothing that management could do to make the lifestyle 'great' all the time

Advice to Management

Take some steps to tone down the emphasis on promotions - the incentive isn't needed; Keep going with the efforts to create a more 'best case experiences' - they are working

6. "The right balance of challenge, excitement and support"

Current Employee - Principal in London, England

Pros

A place where you can have a highly exciting personalised career focused on having an impact at some of the biggest global companies and brands

Cons

Careers in Professional services can always be accompanied with a short bursts of stress at times

Advice to Management

Carry on focusing on getting the best out of individuals - keep the apprenticeship model alive

7. "Great place to build your career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Best people i've ever worked with; hands down the most intelligent, down to earth, humble and fun mix of people you will ever find. Most interesting variety of work and a real opportunity to build your own Bain. Incredibly flexible for high performers, with great opportunities to shape what you want.

Cons

Hours can be tough, though you learn alot about yourself and how to prioritise what's important to you

Advice to Management

Ensure leadership continually work to prioritise having a life, to avoid talent drain to competing industries

8. "Bain as a consultant"

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time

Pros

Excellent training and diverse range of projects. Involvement close to the action on projects with real impact. Great bunch of people. Genuine culture of results-focus, which to my mind makes it (a) ethically sound and (b) better training for future line or entrepreneur role. Great flexibility as you become more senior.

Cons

Pressured environment where mistakes are forgiven but not forgotten. Constant review process makes for rapid and satisfying development, but also "always on" atmosphere. Often long hours.

9. "Best place to work!"

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Bain is the best company to start my career. The number one thing that attracted me to Bain was the people I met through the interview process and the reality has absolutely lived up to my expectations. Over the last 3 years I have been seduced by Bain's strong and supportive culture and in the process have made some really strong friends. I have also been able to take advantage of the flexibility options and live and work in the US for 6 months.

The work itself is really challenging and rewarding, everything an ambitious young graduate is looking for in a new job. I had the opportunity to work in a variety of industries, ranging from Oil & Gas to Finance and made some tangible impact while building strong relationships with my clients.

Cons

Sometimes the clients are based outside London which means I had to travel during the week. This is a reality of any consulting job and is fun at first while exploring new places, but can sometimes be tiring when combined with the intensity of the job

Advice to Management

Maintain the supportive and vibrant culture and ensure that it is driven from the top - partners and managers need to live and breath Bain!

10. "Bain"

Current Employee - Principal in London, England

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great place to work with very high quality people, interesting clients and super-challenging case work. Good career progression comes as standard, with very good promotion opportunities and broader career transition effectiveness

Cons

Like all consulting, you will work hard. We're client facing, so we do focus on delivering to a very high standard, which can feel quite relentless if not managed properly.

11. "Learn from the brightest"

Current Employee - Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Manager in London, England

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Partners from the firm are very experienced, sharp and want to invest in the development of the people in their teams. As a manager from South America I was warmly welcomed, but also pushed to deliver more insights, client results and an extraordinary team morale.

Cons

Although the firm has been emphasizing work-life balance a lot, you simply cannot expect to learn and deliver the same in a 9 to 5 day. Unlike in a bank, there's no 'facetime' culture, but 60 hour weeks are common.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing for enduring client relationships and celebrating client results above all else. That is what differentiates us the most and will help us continue to build a leading player in the top tier of consulting.

Showing 1,803 of 1,921 reviews