Baker McKenzie "law firm" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Baker McKenzie Employee Reviews about "law firm"

Updated 26 Jan 2020

3.7
Baker McKenzie Global Chair Paul Rawlinson
Paul Rawlinson
Pros
  • "Known as "the friendliest Law Firm" - good culture, great location, good benefits(in 29 reviews)

• "Friendly and supportive work environment(in 20 reviews)

Reviews about "law firm"

Return to all Reviews

"Baker McKenzie ticks all of the boxes"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Officer in London, England

I have been working at Baker McKenzie full-time for more than a year

Pros

Known as "the friendliest Law Firm" - good culture, great location, good benefits. Strong brand. Really good restaurant which does some tasty food. I'm trusted to do my job, and my opinion is genuinely valued. In my time here so far I have been able to implement some really good processes to improve the way things are done. You are 'not just a number' and are made to feel like you are an important part of something great. In my role I get to work with some great people from other offices around the world.

Cons

Some processes can be more joined-up. If the confectionary in the 'pic n mix' in the canteen was Haribo, I'd ask Glassdoor to create a sixth star, which I would rate Baker McKenzie London!

Baker McKenzie2017-06-25
  2. "You get out what you put in"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I have been working at Baker McKenzie full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work/life balance Access to lots more training and development opportunities than I've had elsewhere Management is very accessible Culture is not just empty rhetoric Decent benefits e.g. perks cards, medical insurance

Cons

Processes can be overly lengthy (perhaps to be expected of a global law firm) You can feel stretched at times (but this has allowed myself and colleagues to prove ourselves and be recognised in a relatively short space of time)

Baker McKenzie2018-08-30

"Strong London office, but ambitions not matched by actions"

Current Employee - Associate in London, England

I have been working at Baker McKenzie full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The reputation as the "friendly" law firm is justly deserved, vast majority of staff are incredibly warm and open-minded people. The work is of a high quality and though pressured at times, this is relatively light for a global law firm. Conditions are very good (including excellent flexible working) - and though pay is just below top-tier, this is the quid pro quo for a not unreasonable work/life balance. Note that experiences vary significantly between departments, which are effectively silos/fiefdoms of their managers. Litigious, advisory and business support departments tend to fare better than transactional ones. The London office is in an excellent location, both in terms of public transport links and being on the western edge of the City (which, in my opinion, is definitely the nicer side).

Cons

Ambitions to become a more significant player in the London legal market are stymied by the [relatively small] size of the corporate department. Similarly, global reach is hampered by the lack of connectivity between individual offices (the fee structures are not joined up between cities, nor are key IT/phone systems). These faults are widely recognised and targeted, but without the partnership becoming less risk-averse, these "cons" will continue for the foreseeable future. Like any corporate law firm, the culture can be stressful and pressured. As law firms go, it is relatively manageable. However, there is a risk that - as the firm seeks to meet its ambitions - its better cultural elements will be shed. The London office interior is pretty dire, with staff keenly awaiting for the day when facilities runs out of carpet tiles (so that the floors can be recovered in something other than sea-vomit green).

Baker McKenzie2017-08-16
  4. "Compliance Analyst"

Matter Management (Compliance) Analyst in London, England

I have been working at Baker McKenzie

Pros

Very friendly staff, lot's of benefits.

Cons

Cons in my role, global law firm, some offices do not want to comply with foreign legislation, makes our work difficult.

Baker McKenzie2017-04-24
  5. "Best law firm to work for"

Associate in London, England

I have been working at Baker McKenzie

Pros

Baker & McKenzie is a global business law firm, but it is also an incredibly pleasant place to work at. Of course the work is high profile and compensation is high, but there is definitely a connection shared by B&M employees. People are happy to work here and work/life balance is great. B&M is international. That means that it is easy to go on a secondment to another office for anywhere between 3 months (usually at trainee level) to several years. Work/life balance is incredible for a law firms. Partners actually have wives and families and think you should be able to have a personal life. Of course expectations are high, but you are given the possibility to organise your work to avoid last minute whole-nighters, and they will hire more people if needed.

Cons

Although B&M has 70 offices around the world, most of the offices are populated by local lawyers. This makes the place feel less international then it could be, although lawyers are encouraged to spend at least a year working in another office or on secondment for a client.

Baker McKenzie2008-07-06
  6. "Great pay, but waterfall, political culture, years behind the curve in technology and any internal business services"

Current Employee - Senior Manager (Internal Services) in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Baker McKenzie full-time

Pros

Great pay, great location, intelligent people

Cons

Super political. Research law firm culture. All they say about law firms is true, at all levels of organization. They are reorganizing. That means any internal role is supposed to cover the work of 3 people, to cut costs.

Baker McKenzie2020-01-26
  7. "Good culture- would recommend"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Baker McKenzie

Pros

Good Culture, friendly staff, nice work environment, manageable hours, supportive

Cons

Nothing comes to mind- would recommend, a good top tier law firm

Baker McKenzie2019-11-22
  8. "As law firms go, this is a great deal"

I worked at Baker McKenzie full-time

Pros

Flexibility to change (compared to other firms), no shark attitude, high pressure but also some time for fun, nice offices

Cons

Billable hours, law firm culture, resistance to engage with modern HR management, no investment in individual careers/desires

Baker McKenzie2019-09-25
  9. "great firm"

I worked at Baker McKenzie full-time for more than a year

Pros

The firm offers opportunities for various departmental training and international secondments It is a truly global law firm

Cons

Heavy workload; lack of work life balance

Baker McKenzie2019-01-11

"Shocking exit"

I worked at Baker McKenzie part-time

Pros

At time was biggest law firm in world. Paid me full benefits (17 total) for part-time work. One employee walked by my desk daily saying the firm was so lucky to have me.

Cons

I worked Fridays with staff but Saturdays Sundays and holidays alone at office (as well as on-call for absences) as overflow for up to 77 offices worldwide. There is a 24-7 overflow office in Malaysia but I was discouraged from using it. So many in my hallway quit or were terminated that others joked that I chased them away. Then I received a PIP when I thought I would get a raise after working 18 days in a row including weekends. High turnover particularly for this position. To boot I did not have weekly training offered as other employees did who worked Mon-Thu regularly.

Baker McKenzie2018-08-12

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 42 reviews