Found 1,504 of over 2K reviews
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
What people are saying about Balfour Beatty
Got a burning question about Balfour Beatty? Just ask!
On Fishbowl, you can share insights and advice anonymously with Balfour Beatty employees and get real answers from people on the inside.
What are your colleagues talking about?
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "Great people with diverse skills always ready to share and help others" (in 112 reviews)
- "Good benefits with pension schemes and 25 annual leaves." (in 95 reviews)
- "Good pay and schedule five eight hour days" (in 62 reviews)
- "Colleague are friendly and always ready to help" (in 26 reviews)
- "It's the people that make the great culture" (in 23 reviews)
- "Poor management and backward people from the 18 century still being hired in business." (in 56 reviews)
- "Long Hours and cut throat work" (in 50 reviews)
- "Low salaries compared to the rest of the industry and can be difficult to progress and develop." (in 40 reviews)
- "No work/life balance" (in 37 reviews)
- "Upper management has had a lot of turnover the past 2 yrs" (in 30 reviews)
- 3.05 Dec 2023Anonymous EmployeeFormer Employee, more than 8 years
Good range of work locations and benefits
Compared with the market: expected to work long hours for no extra pay; promised a job promotion for over year never came (so left); paid less than competitors; as the company grew and different parts of the business merged it became a lot less personal (to the end that you were just a number to them).
- 3.029 Nov 2023Business SupportFormer Employee, more than 1 yearLondon, England
Support within my immediate team/department
Lack of support from the wider directorate and not enough growth opportunities for newer members of staff.
- 5.030 Nov 2023Managing QSCurrent Employee, more than 3 yearsLondon, England
Great People Exciting Projects Flexibility in locations
Share schemes could be advertised better
- 4.020 Oct 2023Civil Engineer, Site EngineerCurrent Employee, more than 3 yearsBristol, England
Potentially good high value benefit and alternative way of income as LODGE ALLOWANCE and TRAVEL ALLOWANCE (even if you just cycle to work). Training opportunities (internal or external). Possibility to move internally from one project to another or from a department to another one. I believe is reasonably easy to make a career change if you want to leave engineering.
Often you work longer hours and they are never paid. Salaries could be slightly higher. Number of Annual leave per year (25 but they oblige you to book some day between Christmas and New Year eve when the site is closed)1
- 2.020 Nov 2023ReceptionistFormer EmployeeSouthampton, England
The hours were good and some of the staff members were nice.
There was very little workload so would end up sitting at the desk for five hours every morning.
- 4.05 Nov 2023Logistics CoordinatorCurrent Employee
On the whole supportive senior management Looking for ways to innovate and move the industry forwards Very supportive of career progression and both vertical and lateral moves
Not the best at ensuring internal pay matches what is being recruited externally for with a no higher than 10% pay rise rule internally.
Balfour Beatty Reviews FAQs
Balfour Beatty has an overall rating of 3.7 out of 5, based on over 1,647 reviews left anonymously by employees. 74% of employees would recommend working at Balfour Beatty to a friend and 72% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.
74% of Balfour Beatty employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Balfour Beatty 3.4 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.7 for culture and values and 3.7 for career opportunities.