Barchester Healthcare Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 14 January 2019

Barchester Healthcare CEO Pete Calveley
Pete Calveley

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The residents and staff members" (in 8 reviews)

• "The Care staff on the front line are wonderful" (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours, management always wanting more and make night staff attend training during they’re sleep time" (in 11 reviews)

• "The home where I worked was very short staffed" (in 11 reviews)

1. "An exceptionally well-led organisation"

Former Employee - General Manager in Norwich, England
    Former Employee - General Manager in Norwich, England

I worked at Barchester Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I absolutely loved working for this provider and I climbed from being a Care Assistant with no experience to managing my own 60+ bedded home within 2 years - where my team attained a CQC overall rating of 'Good' and with an 'Outstanding' rating under the service being well-led.

The service wasn't just well-led by my team, but by the organisation too, and it was their rigorous processes that helped the home realise this potential.
    Since leaving the organisation (a decision I've regretted on a number of occasions, but I have benefited from the experience of working with other providers) I have come to learn that this organisation simply leads the way in relation to providing it's managers with all the tools they need to achieve in whichever role they operate in.

For all those people with negative reviews, I may suggest it might not be the environment for you to work in - but I don't feel that submitting negative reviews and potentially putting others off what might be an exceptional career move is a favourable move and moreover, I challenge you to find another provider who does what Barchester will do for it's staff and residents at all it's care services.

Alright, there are some people we don't always see eye-to-eye with, there might even be processes we don't agree with, but every time I had something developmental to say, I genuinely believe my voice was heard by the CEO, the COO and the Divisional Directors.

I'm just a guy wishing to thank an outstanding organisation for the fantastic opportunity they presented me with and without them, I don't think I would have made it in my pursuit of a career in Health and Social Care.

Cons

I may have left prematurely, and it may not have been entirely my own choice, but if anyone could have anything negative to say about this company it would be me - yet I cannot fault them.

Thank you to Barchester for the opportunities.

Advice to Management

Barchester's reputation becomes even more apparent after you leave the organisation - and trust me, it's a reputation that has other providers wishing they were performing to that standard, consistently.

My only advice would be to never change!

20 Dec 2018 – Social Media Exec

It’s lovely to hear about your time with Barchester. We’re really pleased that you had such a positive experience with us and we wish you the very best of luck for the future.

2. "All about profit"

I have been working at Barchester Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is nothing good at working for this company

Cons

Very disappointed with Management level, lack of communication (which is appalling) and total disregard to staff members. Managers do not listen and do not care. It is all about money rather than CARE!

Advice to Management

Managers should have better training and learn how to deal with staff and families of residents before start working for a care Organization.

"Understaffed but rewarding"

Current Employee - Care Assistant in Newark on Trent, England
    Current Employee - Care Assistant in Newark on Trent, England

I have been working at Barchester Healthcare full-time

Pros

Very rewarding job and other staff are lovely. Always overtime available and it is a nice home to work in. Always someone to ask if you have any questions.

Cons

Very rarely enough staff, so you don't feel supported and it's very difficult to provide the standard of care that you'd like. Also very rare to get a thank you for working extra shifts or helping out when short. Don't feel appreciated or valued for everything that we do. Communication is very poor too.

Advice to Management

The DICE tool is not person-centred and always leaves us short staffed. We are all working so hard and are becoming more demotivated by the day. something to make everyone feel valued would be a good idea. Communicate with staff so we know what's going on within the home (E.G. Our manager has just left and we haven't heard anything about it).

20 Dec 2018 – Social Media Exec

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. If you'd like to provide any further information please email onlinefeedback@barchester.com

4. "Senior care"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Barchester Healthcare full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good incentives, and promotion prospects.

Cons

Training could be better. Wage not good at all

Advice to Management

Get on the floor. You need to manage.

19 Nov 2018 – Social Media Exec

Thank you for your feedback – we value all responses and appreciate you taking the time to leave yours.

"Don’t value their staff"

I worked at Barchester Healthcare full-time

Pros

Residents, pay was alright, fun

Cons

Bullying, no team building, no incentives, claim to ‘profit share’ but decide that you don’t get it because the minimum wage increased in that year, very little useful training and no support to learn, no support to management, the DICE tool for working out staff:resident ratio is unsafe but barchester still push to use it so they can save money by having as few staff as possible, they see residents only as profit and numbers rather than people who deserve a decent level of care from well looked after staff. Long hours for the care team, lack of consistency (one manager tells you one things, another tells you the opposite and you’re supposed to do both?). Managers aren’t allowed a social life and have to be on call 24/7, even on holiday which is unfair. Avoid this company like the plague.

Advice to Management

Sort out the bullying culture in your company and actually give out the incentives and bonuses that you claim to do. Scrap DICE. It’s unsafe and you know that CQC don’t like it, so why carry on? Allow people to have a decent work/life balance. Make your training consistent so that everyone has a common goal, and clear understanding of what staff need to do to achieve it.

20 Dec 2018 – Social Media Exec

Providing the highest levels of care and support is what our success has been built on, so it’s incredibly disappointing to hear that you felt this was lacking when you worked here. We never want our... More

6. "Barchester review on jobs and employer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hull, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hull, England

I have been working at Barchester Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

the company structure is very good and they offer a lot of support.

Cons

the job can be long hours

Advice to Management

continue to listen to staff

8 Nov 2018 – Social Media Exec

It’s always good to hear that our people love their work. Happy employees make for happy residents and patients, so we genuinely appreciate all that you do. Thank you for taking the time to tell us... More

7. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, England

I have been working at Barchester Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Barchester try in many ways to value staff . Lots of initiatives to help. Great internal promotion opportunities. They use profit to put back in to all homes for refurbs and uplifts. Been in company 3 years and worked for large corporate previously but no match on this company. Lots of long service . Residents are key .

Cons

Staff on the floor may not always feel valued by the company however they do try and the managers in the home must drive it too. All companies have negatives from staff and if not happy find another job as it affects our residents.

30 Oct 2018 – Social Media Exec

We’re always looking at how we can best support our people, so it’s great to read reviews like this. We really appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts. If you'd like to provide any... More

8. "Rewarding and loving it !!"

Current Employee - Deput Manager in Llanelli, Wales
    Current Employee - Deput Manager in Llanelli, Wales

I have been working at Barchester Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As a nurse I have had many opportunities but none have been so rewarding as working at Hafan Y Coed. I am privileged to be part of an amazing and passionate team. No day is ever the same. Of course you have the challenging days as with any job, but when you see the real and genuine difference the team make to the lives of our residents on a day to day basis those challenges are worth it. If you have a passion for caring for people who are living with dementia and want to acquire new skills and understanding then Barchester is the way forward. They have a dedicated dementia specialist team and their training is second to none. Training on a whole is something that the company is truly investing in and passionate about.

Cons

None that are worthy of mention

Advice to Management

To continue to support the teams !!

25 Oct 2018 – Social Media Exec

We’re really pleased to hear that you’re having such a positive experience with us – especially in terms of our training, support and development. Training underpins everything we do and our latest... More

"Rewarding experience"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Llanelli, Wales
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Llanelli, Wales

I have been working at Barchester Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working at Hafan Y Coed is rewarding at many levels. Seeing staff grow with confidence while developing new skills. Engaging with residents and their families. A working environment that encourages staff development at all levels. Great team to work with.

Cons

None that come to mind

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do best....making us the best!!!

23 Oct 2018 – Social Media Exec

10. "Rewarding"

I have been working at Barchester Healthcare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fantastic working environment with a dynamic team. Friendly, hard-working team at Hafan Y Coed. Excellent reward scheme, benefits and long service awards.

Cons

None I can think of.

Advice to Management

Nothing to say, fantastic working relationship with the team, always willing to listen and work with you at Hafan Y Coed.

18 Oct 2018 – Social Media Exec

We’re delighted that you feel our rewards and benefits are fair, and that you’re getting the most out of our bonus scheme. It’s something we’ve been working hard to get right – in fact, our annual... More