Barnardo's Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated Dec 9, 2019

2.8
Barnardo's Chief Executive Javed Khan
Javed Khan
Pros
  • "Friendly staff and nice working environment(in 14 reviews)

• "Supporting young people, making a difference to their lives(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "Checks not enforced despite being encouraged to take additional support needs volunteers(in 32 reviews)

• "reduced funding putting pressure on the charity to deliver(in 23 reviews)

"Fantastic"

I worked at Barnardo's full-time

Pros

Lovely company to work for very caring

Cons

Not enough vacancies for roles

Barnardo's2019-06-03
  2. "its a very good company"

Former Employee - Volunteer in Gerrards Cross, England

I worked at Barnardo's part-time for more than a year

Pros

nice environment to work in and everyone is really friendly

Cons

one of my managers was slightly unprofessional and kept taking smoking breaks with her boyfriend instead of working but she was fired

Barnardo's2019-12-09
  3. "Great team, rewarding work"

Former Employee - Missing Children Practitioner

I worked at Barnardo's full-time for more than a year

Pros

One of the best teams I have been a part of. High turnover of managers but luckily for me most of mine were great. Salary good. Work is rewarding.

Cons

High turnover of staff, primarily on a senior management level.

Barnardo's2019-11-18

"Great place to work but high staff turn over needs to be addressed"

Former Employee - Digital Marketing

I worked at Barnardo's full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working on campaigns which were positively impacting people's lives was truly amazing and rewarding. I came in at a junior level and was encouraged to take ownership of campaigns, allowing me to grow my confidence and expertise in a relatively short amount of time.

Cons

Lack of clear strategy coming from CEO/ high level senior management Senior members of staff put a lot of pressure on the marketing team to put anything and everything out on social which isn't always the best strategy. Multiple teams working on digital marketing strategy conflicts with each other e.g. brand team and fundraising team running separate paid campaigns on the same marketing channels are likely... to be bidding against each other and it's an inefficient use of budget. Constant restructures and high turnover of staff makes strategy a lot more difficult to acheive.

Advice to Management

Management need to address the high levels of staff turnover, also need to allow social channels to showcase the amazing work the charity does rather than focusing on the CEO.

Barnardo's2019-11-16
  5. "AMAZING"

Former Employee - Volunteer in Woolwich, England

I worked at Barnardo's part-time

Pros

i loved it soo much the staff was great

Cons

But the staff could be a bit harshh

Barnardo's2019-11-11
  6. "Nice environment, working for a good cause"

Former Employee - Student Worker in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Barnardo's part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great working environment Working towards a good cause - higher motivation

Cons

Tasks would get very repetitive at times

Advice to Management

More variety of tasks for student volunteers

Barnardo's2019-11-07
  7. "Chaotic"

I worked at Barnardo's part-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of extremely lovely and committed people working there, the premises were generally nice, and had a decent computer and phone.

Cons

I worked on a specific project funded for a set amount of time. The project exceeded its aims massively and identified a high need for further work yet fundraising put almost no effort into securing future funding. I was threaded with redundancy for about a year, first I was offered a job well suited to my skills but fairly inconvenient with a pay cut. Then redundancy was withdrawn. Then it happened again, but by... now I was pregnant and they made zero effort to find me another role. I was made redundant the same month I gave birth. I attended an equality celebration event where several speakers and guests were invited who had disabilities. We were instructed to play and icebreaker game that involved standing up and sitting down without any adaptations for the disabled guests. It was awkward to say the least. They have interns they don’t pay, and most staff are on zero hours contracts and/or fixed term.

Advice to Management

Lots of work needs doing around equality and diversity. Also paying staff what they are worth and developing staff skills.

Barnardo's2019-11-13

"ok"

Current Employee - Project Worker

I have been working at Barnardo's part-time for less than a year

Pros

very friendly place to work

Cons

none at the moment i think

Barnardo's2019-10-24

"Not for everybody. Not as advertised."

Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Barnardo's part-time for more than a year

Pros

Freedom to run the shop and display things mostly how you like as long as it’s hitting targets. Lovely customers and volunteers. Staff discount.

Cons

Low wage. Could of done the same job in another charity for more money. Don’t feel part of the company as you don’t go to meetings or events, just stuck in the store. Youre expected to work like it’s a normal retail job but its not. Volunteers are very unreliable. They don’t have a person to cover holidays. Paid 7 hours but you work 9 as no time to have breaks and cant hoover when the shop is open and you have to... cash up.

Advice to Management

Monitor shop managers more. Make sure theyre looking after the shop. Look after the sales associates more because they are the manager two days out of three, running the shop by themselves. They deserve more recognition. Let them work with their manager more than just one day a week so the manager gets proper time off and so the sales associate isn’t on their own so much.

Barnardo's2019-11-03

"Worst company I have ever worked for!"

Former Employee - Store Associate

I worked at Barnardo's part-time for more than a year

Pros

You get to work with lovely volunteers. The day to day work is very varied.

Cons

Where do I start? The shop is open from 9-5.30 but you only get paid for 7 hours!!! I once worked from 12-5.30 and was told I could only get paid for 4,5 hours!!! You are supposed to get an hour lunch break but 9 times out of 10 you can't have a break because there is no one to cover the shop. Lots and lots of lone working. When your manager goes on the sick or you have annual holidays booked you have to ring around... all of the shops and arrange your own cover. Theres been times I've had to cancel holidays and other times where I've had to work for up to two weeks without a day off because there is no one to cover. During my time with the company 3 store associates applied for manager jobs and got turned down! The company doesn't value career progression!

Advice to Management

Pay the staff for the hours they work! It's breaking the law if you don't! Extend your basis and values to the staff! The shops need more paid staff, not less! Stop putting all that pressure on the managers. Appreciate that your store associates are your future managers and don't force good store associates out of the company by denying them the opportunities to progress.

Barnardo's2019-10-01