Beamly Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Jason Forbes

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Strong culture & fun work environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Beamly full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere and very talented people across the different divisions
    Start-up mentality and a lot of learning opportunities that reach beyond social as you get to help out on different projects – very flexible if you want to learn different channels.
    Strong level of trust and support from senior leadership – approachable when you are facing issues.
    Good focus on training up staff and upskilling people – organising training based on what you need.
    Free food/drinks, plenty of social events and pub visits and great summer/Christmas parties!
    Great culture and very diverse, many different languages in the company which is great

Cons

Start-up mentality means that workload can be a bit much at times, but the extra effort gets recognised and awarded.
    From a social perspective there’s quite a lot of processes that could be simplified, which is currently being looked into.
    Office struggles with heating / AC at times 😉

Advice to Management

Keep building a strong culture
    Continue to improve work life balance
    Keep hiring people that fit into the culture

"Varied work, great people."

I have been working at Beamly full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great colleagues, interesting challenges, good work/life balance

Cons

Trying to do too many things at once, but this is improving following the recent restructure.

"A paradigm of life in an agency"

I have been working at Beamly full-time

Pros

O No day is ever the same
    O The people are real people with real strengths and weaknesses
    O A culture of honesty, at least within the working teams
    O Being different is a good thing here
    O Relaxed office and dress code
    O A place to try and where mistakes won't be held against you
    O The company are fair with wages
    O A place where you can come in, do your work and leave without too many big headaches
    O Flexible working hours
    O Fun socials, team lunches, team building
    O Training budgets

Cons

O Like a start-up, the roadmap is never super clear, but there is light at the end of the tunnel
    O Can be frustrating that a place that should be practising agile in its product development teams, can't seem to give that flexibility at times
    O Work load is not always guaranteed so can get down time then very busy times
    O Hiring has been difficult
    O Restructure wasn't conducted very well
    O Sometimes poor management communication

Advice to Management

Empower teams (really)
    Offer bonus schemes within Beamly

"They give you your chance - amazing people to work with"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Beamly full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the company is filled with fun, skilled and motivated people to work with
    Good work is praised
    You're trusted
    Whatever career you want to follow, they'll support you, train you and move you to the position you want
    Blameless culture
    Afterwork parties are always cool (people are really fun to party with)
    Good office location (Covent Garden)

Cons

The senior management in general - it's improving, but there is A LOT of work ahead to improve the collaboration.
    Beamly is on 2 floors - there is a huge gap between them. They rarely talk to each other and rarely work on cross-team projects. That's a shame, because we barely know what each other do and I'm sure we could build some more nice stuff.

Advice to Management

What you've accomplished those past few weeks was difficult for everyone, but I have high hopes about the future when I see all the improvements you're working on to make our company better, and also make us happier. Keep going !

Organise some more team-building.
    A company's culture is based on people, and also should be a part of the hiring process to make sure the people you hire actually fit with the teams here.

"A Good Place With Good People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Beamly full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people with extensive knowlege in thier fields

Fun work environment

A chance to have your input into product and design

Great social scene

Cons

Air con is erratic

Sometime senior management are out-of-touch with the workforce

Having 2 seperate floors alienates people from the day-to-day goings on

Advice to Management

Merge the 2 floors back together....or at least move the teams around every now and then so we can all interact with each other. There are time when you aren't sure if someone works there or have just walked off the street. Collaboration is essential.

"The worst place you will ever work"

Former Employee - Media in London, England
    Former Employee - Media in London, England

I worked at Beamly full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun to talk about make up all day
    Free bread, bagels, cereals and milk
    Convenient Covent Garden location

Cons

- sexist, bullying culture, too much shouting
    - very little team dynamic, lots of backstabbing, taking credit for other people’s work etc
    - unprofessional, unfocused senior leadership
    - inappropriate behaviour from male senior members of staff that has been reported but not adequately dealt with
    - all the good people leave within a year
    - on my first day I witnessed about three nervous breakdowns
    - CEO is running an agency without knowing how to run an agency and refusing to admit that Beamly is an agency
    - CEO does not like people disagreeing with him
    - too many restructures, fake job titles

Advice to Management

Invest in training for C-suite on empathy and people management, listen to people and behave with more integrity

"What a ridiculous company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Beamly full-time

Pros

- Good salaries since the company is desperate to retain 'heads' it can bill Coty 20% more for
    - A lot of us who have left have developed a strong community where we focus on helping each other through our PBTSD (Post-Beamly Traumatic Stress Disorder)

Cons

- No mission, no vision, no plan, and dwindling funds
    - Horrible, old-school, senior management
    - Rampant sexism, elitism, aggressive 'he who shouts loudest wins' culture

Advice to Management

5 positive reviews in 48 hours? Really guys? You couldn't post one fake review a week even to make it APPEAR as though it was organic? How unbelievably sad that the stream of negative reviews wouldn't cause you to evaluate your culture and policies, but instead try to create a fake reality via ridiculous Glassdoor reviews.

But that's Beamly all over really...

To anyone interviewing at the moment - don't believe the shiny stuff they talk about in the interview. It's all smoke and mirrors...

"This place will be dead in 12 months"

Current Employee - Tech Lead in London, England
    Current Employee - Tech Lead in London, England

I have been working at Beamly full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- There were some great, talented people
    - Free snacks and drinks

Cons

I wasn't going to write a review for Beamly because the place is so obviously collapsing from the inside that it felt like I'd be kicking someone when they're down, but after reading the review posted on June 28th ("Strong culture &
     fun work environment") I just had to chime in with my two cents. Firstly this review on the 28th of June is so obviously fake because there is NO ONE at Beamly who would say there's a strong culture and it's a fun work environment. There used to be a strong culture, one of innovation and openness, but the proponents of this culture were all bullied out of their jobs in the last 12 months and what is left is an incompetent mess of corporate yes men who's only contribution is to actively push the last few talented people out of their jobs so that they can be replaced with juniors (read: people easier to boss around) or their friends (yes, they've actually on many occasions just hired their mates).

- Around 3 weeks ago the 'leadership' team gave numerous people who had been at the company for 5+ years around an hours notice before announcing that their roles had been made redundant in front of the whole company. Except they wouldn't call it redundancy because they didn't want to pay anyone so they instead called it a 'role review' and offered individuals the opportunity to apply for a demotion. Not coincidentally all of the individuals who's roles had been made redundant had been vocal advocates of a more open, honest, product-lead culture - as opposed to the 'let's make a bunch of crap up, pretend we've built it, bill Coty for the invoices, take our bonuses, and then blame it on someone else when Coty notices nothing's been built' culture that the leadership team are keen on.
    - During this company announcement, where they presented their half assed plan for how we would now be in Spotify squads instead of cross-functional teams, we were told that 'autonomy and empowerment have to be earned' and that this would now be reflected in the company's values. There was a strong indication that as an experienced product and engineering department C-suite did not feel that we had EARNED the right to empowerment and autonomy and that this new structure would help them remove what little autonomy we had left as a team. A member of C-suite even took the microphone to deliver the line 'so hopefully with this new structure, once we sign off a project, there'll be no more whinging (except he didn't say whinging, he used a profanity I'm not allowed to write on Glassdoor) and the teams will just deliver it'. So there we go, straight from the stupid horses mouth - no more questioning if a project/product makes sense, no more questions about whether this nonsensical brief can or should even be delivered, no more questions about team morale or client satisfaction, just do as we say or we'll 'put your role up for review'.

In my 15+ years working in the tech industry I've never seen such a disrespectful, sexist, elitist, aggressive culture and, just like everyone on my team, I can't wait until I can hand my notice in a day after my bonus is issued.

To add - The size of the product and engineering team was around 70 people 12-18 months ago and is now around 35, with predominantly contract engineers left. All quality senior people have left (or are about to), and this includes two CPO's.

They can't replace people quick enough and it's only going to get worse as more and more good people are replaced with incompetent yes-men.

This place is 100% doomed.

Advice to Management

12 months ago, when there were enough talented senior people to take the reigns, I would've said to the current leadership team - Quit. Quit your jobs. You are not good leaders. Go back into consulting, or sales, or back to peddling crappy media inventory to desperate brands. Leave Beamly alone, you have strong enough Product leadership that in your absence we will work out what the company's mission is and we'll work out how to deliver it. But now, after anyone worth their salt has gone, I'm not sure what to suggest because you've gutted the place to such an extent that really it's just the remaining C-suite, a few of their mates, a bunch of depressed juniors, and a mountain of fake invoices and undelivered work.

Given this I suppose my advice is - just continue what you're doing. Keep massively overpromising and massively under delivering, get your bonuses in October, and ride the last Coty gravy train until they probably liquidate the company in July 2019.

"Brace Yourself"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Covent Garden, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Covent Garden, England

I worked at Beamly part-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are starting out in your field, good place to meet fellow professionals and gain experience

Cons

To be completely honest, i could go on for ages but i will condense it to a couple points.

1. During Christmas season 2017 many staff members put in additional hours to help the machine that is Beamly progress The C.E.O recognised this and suggested every member clap for themselves as a thank you for doing extra work for free. Probably he could have at least done the clapping himself?

2. There used to be a super vibrant culture which has diminished to nothingness.

3. On the media side of the company, senior figures came into the company with relatively low knowledge of the workings in media and railroaded themselves due to their pride.

4. On my last couple days at the company I was bullied into doing work that was out of my remit, to which i flagged to the C.O.O who is probably the only shining beacon left in the senior staff at the moment.

5. In a couple conversations with current Employees there was a mistake that is still being brandished with my name due to the lack of process present within the company

6. Last one, went back to the building and was talking to the receptionist after I had left the company and the C.E.O made eye contact with me and looked through me even though i said hello. The benefit of small companies is to be able know everyone at the top right?

Advice to Management

Talk to the people at the bottom, those are the guys who are actually doing the work. You'll be surprised at what you hear.

"Very poor work/life balance. Few employees stay for more than a year."

I worked at Beamly (Less than a year)

Pros

Covent Garden location.
    Some find the free drinks on Fridays and bread/fruit during the week a bonus. Companies do this to encourage overtime in the office.

Cons

Few employees stay for more than a year. High turn over – more than other agencies and startups.
    Very poor work/life balance. Long hours seems to be the norm for some and a badge of honor.
    Top heavy organisation - more top heavy than large corporations and other agencies.
    Minimal respect from management level to their staff.