Bentley Motors Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Bentley Motors CEO Adrian Hallmark
Adrian Hallmark

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Limited career progression in some areas" (in 4 reviews)

• "Career progression limited, old fashioned ways" (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Crewe, England

I have been working at Bentley Motors full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really great atmosphere in our team, everyone gets on well and feels valued. Management are approachable and encourage you to go to them if you have any issues as well as paying interest to your career plan and assisting you with it.
    Flexitime is a massive positive and has really made a difference to my time here.

Cons

The location is the only real con for the job but the cost of living is so low, and the proximity to Liverpool and Manchester more than makes up for it.

2. "Average"

Pros

Global experience, luxury segment, varied skills learnt

Cons

Poor progression
    Recruitment freeze
    Do more with less culture

3. "Experience as an engineer"

I worked at Bentley Motors full-time

Pros

It is hard not to get enthusiastic about the end product. The car scheme is a massive perk. Having everything on the one site makes cross functional working so much easier.

Cons

While progression is possible it feels like you are at a disadvantage versus people coming in externally. More work still needs to be done to clarify the HR processes

Advice to Management

Strive to bring stability, both in workload and in management structure. Most colleagues prefer transparency and being told bad news than being strung alone and being told what they want to hear.

4. "Technical coordinator"

I have been working at Bentley Motors full-time

Pros

Flexitime good work environment

Cons

Difficult to develop to higher stage

Bentley Motors Response

20 Aug 2018 – Talent Manager

Thanks for sharing your feedback. I would really like to offer my support for your career development at Bentley. My team are responsible for supporting colleagues to progress and find new... More

"Factory and mindset is very 20th Century"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Crewe, England

I have been working at Bentley Motors full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some departments can be great but that is always at the expense of others having to shoulder with workload.
    Can be good money for local area, but not fantastic.
    Some are paid considerable more depending on department, not skills.

Cons

Incredible amount of managers, about 1 in 5. Some great, some awful, leaving others having to sort out their mess. All managers band together, even when they are obviously wrong.
    Very old fashioned and limited in approach, everything is done from top down instructions (or lack of).
    Praise is often merely words rather than any incentive / reward.
    Constantly promising change and improvements but always comes back to more for less every year.
    Very limited opportunities unless you are a new graduate.
    Compensation and Benefits being eroded yearly.
    Flexitime available for some, but be prepared to stand your ground.

Advice to Management

New CEO might struggle to make an impact against poor performing managers draining the company. Keep getting out there for real opinions without reprisals from managers.
    Managers don't produce anything.

"Good company with respectful work culture, albeit with its flaws"

Current Employee - Graduate in Crewe, England
    Current Employee - Graduate in Crewe, England

I have been working at Bentley Motors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexitime (flexible hours and hour bank) and positive work-life balance. Non-workaholic and respectful work practices, where young/inexperienced colleagues are not looked down upon and can contribute and promote projects successfully. Positive culture of joint-learning and promoting people development. Good future talent programmes, particularly the graduate programme, truly one-of-a-kind in the automotive world for allowing flexible-length placements to be taken in a business plant that concentrates locally all areas of the business, as well as the apprentice programme which provides learning, a formal degree and a good first step into a career. Combination of positive aspects from a small company (close relationship between functions, relatively fast career growth, recognition from individual contributions) and a big company due to VW Group status (global career opportunities within group, liaising technically with international peers, funding from the group for product development). It is a pleasure to work for the brand Bentley, the company makes an effort to have the colleagues feel as part of something bigger than the sum of its parts, and there is plenty of pride to take from Bentley’s commitments to CSR and the environment. The colleague shop, car scheme, Bupa cashback-style health scheme, ride-to-work scheme are nice perks as well.

Cons

Curiously the most significant downsides represent flaws in following Bentley’s core values: (1) lack of accountability (‘dog ate my homework’ blame-others-always culture), (2) ‘right first time, next time’ (culture of not learning lessons and remedying errors rather than avoiding them), (3) not following process across different functions (engineering, purchase etc.). Other cons include old-style business culture, where internal elements or VW Group serve as barriers to continuous improvement and/or innovation projects; and remuneration average-to-below compared to the larger UK automotive market. It is an engineering-lead business with lack of financial accountability across different functions: usually aiming for best-in-class engineering often ignoring profitability and future strategy. This leads to low profitability (openly readable by the public in VW Group annual reports) and business frustration. Individuals and teams can be very alienated as to effectively believe no other business areas actually do any work, which is far from the truth. HR-wise it can be a frustrating company at times, particularly due to a culture of not fixing behaviour or sacking inefficient, inept or lazy colleagues, as well as due to a wide variety in leadership quality across departments, ranging from amazing exemplary leaders to terrible leaders in cases. Speaking from the perspective of a non-local perhaps what can be someone’s personal worst downside to working there is the location and the local culture: the region of Cheshire is full of natural beauty, however those wishing to live in a cosmopolitan city such as Manchester or Chester will have to commit to a long 45min+ commute each way to work; and the local culture is very conservative and close-minded compared to more globalised regions, and there is little gender diversity due to how Bentley is by far the largest local employer in the region – although as previously stated, this goes down to personal preference.

Advice to Management

Truly embrace innovation and continuous improvement. Try to tackle the issues listed on the Cons item.

"People value"

Former Employee - Manager in Crewe, England
    Former Employee - Manager in Crewe, England

I worked at Bentley Motors full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Individually dedicated people that protect the asset “a great brand”

Cons

A company that has lost it focus and soul towards its work force and forgotten its core values

Advice to Management

The worst HR team I have ever experienced.

"Internship"

Current Employee - Sales and Marketing Intern in Middlewich, England
    Current Employee - Sales and Marketing Intern in Middlewich, England

I have been working at Bentley Motors full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible working hours combined with a relatively good salary make the company appealing to work for. The company also provides employers with plenty of opportunities to broaden their horizons.

Cons

It can often be difficult to get anything done given the level of bureaucracy that exists within the company. The everchanging board members can also prove difficult.

Advice to Management

Allow employers more opportunities to work from home. Especially within a sales and marketing role given that there is no real need for them to be in the office.

9. "Exciting, passionate about what we do and a great brand to work for"

Current Employee - IT Graduate in Crewe, England
    Current Employee - IT Graduate in Crewe, England

I have been working at Bentley Motors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've had many opportunities to rotate my job role around the company and learn a great deal about many different areas
    I've been hands on in the development process of some of the services we offer to the external customer
    The management are friendly and approachable
    The future talent team are always available to assist with whatever you're working on
    I'm motivated to come into work with the attitude that I can make a difference
    The brand is prestigious, and it's a great feeling to represent the company
    I've had many chances to get out into the community and represent Bentley at schools and events
    The projects are digital, forward thinking and exciting to work on

Cons

I haven't had any opportunities to visit any of the other companies in the VW Group

10. "I would recommend"

Current Employee - Build Engineer in Crewe, England
    Current Employee - Build Engineer in Crewe, England

I have been working at Bentley Motors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

flexible working hours
    competitive car scheme for colleagues and managers
    Around luxurious cars all day

Cons

technology packages and programs need updating