Best Learning "best learning" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Best Learning Employee Reviews about "best learning"

Updated 8 Jan 2020

3.4
Best Learning CEO and Board Director Vivian Feng (no image)
Vivian Feng
Pros
  • "Salary: the money at Best Learning is quite good(in 14 reviews)

• "China can be wonderful place to live(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "Foreign teachers have limited room for growth - only teachers, or head teacher(in 16 reviews)

• "I found him to be a great friend and Middle Man while living in China(in 16 reviews)

Reviews about "best learning"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "My Honest Review Teaching Abroad"

I worked at Best Learning full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Salary: the money at Best Learning is quite good. It may not be great at the start, it really all depends on your qualifications. Regardless of your qualifications the company does a great job at rewarding employees. Their raises, incentives, and bonuses are the best in China. (You can make a lot of money and live quite comfortably if you are responsible and work hard). Because of the salary and consistency Best Learning is a great place to start in China. Work Environment: The work environment is great. Most of my employees are very helpful and open minded, they also do a good job at helping you feel welcome as well as making sure you are doing okay in China outside of work. Though I would warn those who work at a smaller center may have a different experience or if they simply work at a center where the employees are not as friendly. It really all depends on the center you work at. But please be sure to communicate with your colleagues. Make sure you ask questions and to seek help when you need it. Healthy relationships at work are huge in terms of having a good experience in China. These relationships can also help your living situation outside of work. Ask questions and don't be afraid to reach out. Key information can make all the difference. So ask questions and make sure you understand how to live outside of work. Ask questions relating to food, transportation, mobile service, wechat (facebook), Didi (Uber), etc. China can be wonderful place to live! Don't believe in all the fake news about China. Some of the greatest people I have met are Chinese. :) Work Load: The work load at Best Learning can be quite low or quite high depending on how many classes you have. The more classes the more money; less classes less money. I would advise newcomers who don't have much experience teaching in China to start out with 5 classes and work your way up. Too many classes can be to overwhelming and could possibly lead one to want go back home to soon. Make sure you complete at least one year in China. I found it a great experience because it helped me grow a lot as a person. Lets just say I am more aware of the world around me and have gained an appreciation for other cultures and peoples around the world. Its very rewarding in that hind sight. So if your load is too much be sure to let your principal know. They are there to help you have a great experience. In the Classroom: Teaching children in China has been a great reward for me. At first it is a little different therefore it can feel awkward and challenging (this is a normal feeling). Though with time it becomes quite fun, and becomes easier as you gain more and more experience. My best advice is that you observe as many classes as you can. Your colleagues are your best tools in becoming a great teacher. Don't be afraid to use their teaching tactics and classroom managing skills in your classroom. Also be sure to ask questions about how to use the electronic white board. Ask questions about everything and don't be afraid of failing! Every teacher is not perfect. As long as your growing you will be fine. Most importantly communicate with your Chinese Teacher, they can make your life so much simpler and easier, it just requires you to communicate properly. Teaching in the classroom was my favorite part about China. You will build many wonderful relationships with your students and it is a joy to see them grow! :)

Cons

Management: The Management can be a problem within the company. A lot of that is because of the language barrier as well as the different cultural influences on one another. Therefore many issues can arise from both parties that can lead to confusion, discomfort, and division. So I would advise if one has any problems to be sure to contact the headquarters of the company. When you do, ask for Jeremy. He is the Director and has lived in America for 10 years. He is very patient and he does his best to understand both parties. I found him to be a great friend and Middle Man while living in China. Again any issues don't fret, its most likely a communication error that can be resolved easily with patience and understanding on both sides. I cannot stress how important this is!

Best Learning2020-01-08

"It's a great place to work"

Current Employee - Foreign Language Teacher

I have been working at Best Learning full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working at Best Learning has been an amazing experience, they're very professional and you can always find help if you need it. The money is really good, and I've been able to save nearly half my check during my time at the company. There's always work to do but they make it simple with premade lesson plans, though they're very flexible with it​ and you can use your creativity and always add something extra to your classes which is fantastic.

Cons

If you're looking for weekends off this is not the place for you, since It's a training school, weekends will be very busy. It's alright for me because I still have 2 days off and that's enough for me to do my personal things.​

Best Learning2019-08-22
  3. "Great company"

Current Employee - Foreign Language Teacher in Beijing, Beijing

I have been working at Best Learning full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have been working at Best Learning for almost 1 year and it's been a really great journey, The company really cares about taking care of their employees , the salary is good, and the environment is friendly.

Cons

I will just say about days off, if you're looking for weekends off this is not the place, weekends are the busiest time at work.

Best Learning2019-08-25

"A Life Changing Opportunity"

Current Employee - English Teacher in Beijing, Beijing

I have been working at Best Learning full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I want to preface my pros by saying in no uncertain terms that Best Learning English changed my life. Simply put leaving my home and joining this company has easily been the best decision I have made thus far in my life. While not everything is perfect (which I will get into in the cons), this is a good company and one I very much encourage you to consider joining. Pros -Always paid on time and for the most part properly, the one or two times an error was made, they were quickly rectified. This has matched any other experiences I have had with a corporation of this size. -The flexibility to adapt the classroom to your personal style of teaching. While Best Learning does provide a very good curriculum for their teachers, they also encourage free expression of your teaching style and have always been open to any suggestions upon improvement. You get out of it what you put into it I always say, and I appreciate that freedom in my classes. Other places I have worked at have been very rigid and that took a lot of my joy out of the teaching process. -Lots of hours available if you want them. Now this one can only come from my experience at a larger center, but for the most part I have had as many hours as I wanted to keep me happy and my pockets well filled. -The pay is excellent. I've been reading some of the different negative posts on here and I have no idea what people are talking about when it comes to pay. The starting salary is quite good, add that with the ability to make more on the hours you have and various bonuses, you can make a great salary. -Hard work is very much acknowledged and appreciated. I have once again been reading the negative reviews that have commented upon the "popular" teachers get more hours and less work. I can't speak to that as to why you may have considered yourself unpopular, but my experience has been that if you work hard to be a great teacher, you will be "popular" simple as that. I have worked with well over 100 teachers in my time here and those that work hard and treat this as a job and not simply Spring Break, tend to find significant success. Who knew right? -Additional opportunities. There are plenty of different opportunities available within this company if you are willing to work hard and have the gumption to do it. I have known many people to transition to different positions in the company as well as continue working online for Best Learning even after leaving China. I personally presented an idea and created my own job within the company. There are people here who know a good idea when they hear it and are very open to trying something new. -My new family. I can't overstate this enough, but coming here has given me an entirely new family of friends and loved ones. We work together, we party together, we share milestones and holidays together. How is this anything less than a family and frankly I love my family of other foreign teachers and Chinese coworkers. You are one of the many reasons I am happy to wake up in the morning and come to work. -Connections. As an addendum to the previous pro, with all my new friends from across the globe, many have since gone home to their respective countries. I now have places and people that I can come visit in dozens of countries. People who will break bread with me and show me the real "wherever". In addition to that, the bigger your personal network is, the more future opportunities you have. I have since begun working on an external business with one of my close friends through Best Learning since she left. This is simply an opportunity I wouldn't have had if I had stayed in Canada. -An incredible amount of holidays and time off. Sure from what I have read some schools are better and some are worse. But frankly in Canada I had two weeks off a year. At Best Learning I easily get five to six. Now I understand that other countries have a higher amount of weeks off than Canada, but screw it I count this as a blessing. Since coming out here I have had the opportunity to travel to Thailand (four times), Hong Kong (three times), Macau, Viet Nam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, various major cities in China, and once again be saving lots of money every month. I really don't understand the haters out there saying we don't get time off. I assume that they are misconstruing the facts or simply expect that this isn't a job and should be allowed to travel at their whim. -Now there are certainly more pros associated with coming to China and blah blah blah, but those aren't attributed specifically to Best Learning. That being said China is an incredible country and I highly suggest that you take the plunge.

Cons

Onto the cons, now just like with the last set I want to preface this section a bit. I have been reading a lot of the reviews both positive and negative on here and I will be commenting on some of those specific cons. I know that based upon my score and pros section you might think I am just a company boy towing the line. I'm genuinely not. There are cons to be found, that being said I feel based upon my previous life experiences both back home and here in China that these cons are not Best Learning specific, but more from a corporate culture that frankly many people are not used to and try to place the blame in the wrong place. -Lack of representation at head quarters. I think this is probably the biggest con and simplest one to fix. Basically we as foreigners don't have anyone at HQ with whom we can talk to who understands our perspectives and ways of thinking. Someone who can bridge the gap between East and West. I feel after reading all of these reviews that in many of the cases, had someone been there to smooth out any confusions or let's face it fears that we as foreigners have and at the same time been able to stand up for the person having the issues. These problems would not have escalated and simply been sorted out. I have seen first hand a few problems that were tiny, spiral out of control because the teacher didn't have someone they felt understood their perspective and ultimately ended in a good teacher leaving with a sour taste in their mouths. -Not having weekends off. Now this is a fair con, that I have seen here often. That being said it is simply the nature of the beast. We are not a 9-5 school, we are an after hours private school. If you want to have your weekends, you'll need to find a different sort of school. However if you simply want to days off in a row to act as a "weekend", that is very achievable. Otherwise we all still have ample time to enjoy the city and our adventures here in China. Additionally there are like six three day weekends over the course of the year in which you can still participate in weekend fun. -A disconnect between management and teachers. Now this one is entirely on a school to school basis, but yes I do understand some of the feelings of other posters. One important thing to remember is that these principals or people in management are not from our home country, in many cases they have never left China or Asia. English is not their first language. This can be very challenging for someone who has teachers upset with them as they might not entirely understand what you are saying or if they do, they don't understand the reasoning of the issue. Again this circles back to having a mediator that people can speak with at HQ. Remember above all else that the management here are people just like us, if you can make an effort to understand, they too will make an effort. -The legality of things. Now I want to talk about the elephant in the room when it comes to being a legal worker in China. I won't lie, sometimes you are, sometimes you aren't. It is simply the nature of the country. This is simply no different here compared to any other company, unless of course you get into those extremely few places that happen to be 100%. Those places however you need to be of the utmost perfection yourself. Years of experience, bachelors degree, teaching licence, the works. Beyond those things, those places rarely if ever are hiring as the teachers who do get in stay for many many many years. To the reports of people being raided and taken away with no help from management. I have been here for a long time, in that time we have actually been raided a total of zero times, there have been two times where we were warned appropriately and no one came. In all the time I have been here I have only ever heard of two people actually being taken. One was very much due to that teachers error in speaking with the police that came, the other wasn't. Regardless Best Learning absolutely supported them and made sure that they were released properly. I can't state this enough, this is China. The rules here are naturally different, but this is not a Best Learning exclusive issue. Anywhere it can happen, and from talking to friends at other place, yes those places can let you down. But here in my many years of experience, it simply hasn't been relevant. -Lack of supplies. Okay this is a fair one, at times when you look at our lesson plans or curriculum it can ask for teaching supplies that we simply don't have easy access to. But, and I can't say but loudly enough, speak to any teacher in North America, it's a school problem, not a Best Learning exclusive problem. What schools don't have supplies??? This is a tale as old as schools. This comes down to your own personal resourcefulness as a teacher to adjust and pivot as necessary. This is why we are teachers, not just to follow a plan, but to find the most effective way to communicate and educate our point. -The nay sayers. To qualify here, when I say nay sayer. It's those individuals with whom left Best Learning, before their contracts completion and didn't like the results of that. Like having issues with a new job or having to reimburse money to the company that was loaned to them. Absolutely and unequivocally ridiculous as far as I am concerned. This con really isn't directed to the company, but to those who choose to misrepresent their time here by attacking and over embellishing what happen on this site or similar ones like it. Nineteen out of twenty times there is an issue with someone leaving, it came down to their personal failures as a teacher and them expecting the world to be handed to them and throwing a fit when it wasn't. My final note on this topic is that I do recognize I haven't worked at every single school here, that is simply impossible. I'm confident that there are periodic issues at schools here and there. The main point is to be respectful and to work towards solving these problems, not just complaining and allowing these annoyances to fester and grow. We are personally responsible for seeing the change we want to see in the world around us, and yes sometimes that does mean rolling up our respective sleeves and working hard.

Best Learning2018-10-11

"Good place for new teachers not so great for ANY ONE else."

Former Employee - Foreign Language Teacher in Beijing, Beijing
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Best Learning full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

For the most part a stable income with high “taxes” to pay You can meet students and parents who really value their education Build or join a helpful expat community with coworkers Gain teaching experience Figure out what you really want to do in your career Meet hardworking good Chinese employees.

Cons

I worked there for 3 years and other than the wonderful connections I made with students and (some) colleagues, best learning is definitely NOT the place to work for if you are an experienced professional who wants to grow in a company and be treated with equality. I don’t regret choosing this school, because the hiring process was quick and they kept word to majority of their contracts but after I really thought about the promises they made in general, the ones they couldn’t keep are actually important for example, (I was never picked up at the airport as they stated they would) because they accidentally forgot and went to lunch (my recruiters) and I was promised If i wanted to relocate out of the city they can immediately transfer you with no problems but after three years of experience with this school, and one year trying to relocate to a different center I found out it’s a completely false statement they promise at the beginning of your hiring process . Centers are managed by districts and if you want to ever relocate it’s nearly impossible to since headquarters takes pay out of the managers. So to put it simply once you are placed in a center you are held there captive unless you quit and get rehired and have a good connection with a higher up. Also just like many training schools in China in the end it’s just a business and they don’t care about an individual class or students education progress no matter how loyal they are to the school. if they can’t keep up with the high tuition fees they are kicked to the side to sign up more new students. I saw early on that the younger the students are,the more chance of them to sign up and pay for 2-4 years extra before they even can get a feel of the school. Yes it’s true now they are hiring foreigners who can pretend to be American or Canadian but I feel that is a smaller issue compared to how they pay and treat their chinese employees. Teachers with the same tasks and extra work of communicating with parents and doing paper work get paid not even a quarter of what a foreign teacher will make, and if you have any compassion inside of you, you will feel guilty when you see the other teachers treating them like assistants when these Chinese teachers in fact have their English degrees and some foreign teachers don’t even have a proper visa.. Though many new Chinese employees cannot speak English even at basic level, that is the hiring staffs issue to fix. To summarize my three years I’ll tell you this : my first year was exciting and thrilling and everything felt new and I felt I could create so much with my lesson plans . My second year I felt more like I wanted to be a better teacher so I tried my best and reached all the bonuses and thought if I worked hard enough I could even become a head foreign teacher or someone who can do more than just show up to class. But on my Third year I realized I was treated the exact same way no matter if I showed up late and did the bare minimum or I worked my butt off to be the best teacher, I received nothing, as in no position to grow, and that was my biggest struggle with this job. I know teachers who are on their fifth year and are still doing the same (being treated the same as the newer teachers considering their schedules and vice versa .) In the past you had to work hard and earn the older leveled classes, nowadays best learning is lacking so many teachers whatever classes your given, your just meant to fill the space. I know when I left my center about 5 teachers we’re leaving in the coming months and one teacher who left a month before me still had three classes open and no one available to help out. Not even the centers nearby were willing to help. So if you choose this job i just wish you the best of luck and hope you have your own way of dealing with these matters. I am naturally a patient person and it took me three years to really open my eyes and see there are many other schools or job opportunities that pay similar but with less stress involved.

Best Learning2018-09-20

"Superb facilities"

Elementary ESL Teacher in Beijing, Beijing

I have been working at Best Learning for more than a year

Pros

Fantastic environment to work in, with interactive Smart boards and other fantastic teaching aids. Class sizes are also kept to a minimal level to ensure that each student gets a chance to learn. Overall, I cannot fault Best Learning they has exceeded my expectations.

Cons

Maybe to employ a greater number of Chinese teaching assistants to provide back-up for the foreign teachers. Other than that, no complaints at all

Best Learning2018-06-05

"If you don't know what evil is, welcome!"

I worked at Best Learning full-time

Pros

The paycheck is on time mostly. Eating in the office is fine since the boss does so. The kids are cute.

Cons

Terrible management. The center I was at is an independent franchise so basically the owner manages this place as his family business. All you have to do is to be obedient and follow his instructions rational or not. The management, here is to say, the owner, always talks about team-building, but it's more like team-wrecking. Here they don't want to hear different voices, and they just treat the employees as tamed slaves. There is a snitch in the office who reports every little "rumor" to the owner, and the owner would love to hear, and later calls the person who is spreading "rumor" to an empty classroom for a "friendly" talk. It seems the team they want to build is not one that unites, but one obeys. The work is okay, but the management wears you off. Disrespect for the staff. The owner always yells at the staff for things that can be talked through, but they don't really care since they pay you and you are supposed to take whatever load from them, at least that's what I see. They also play the push-away games as punishments for those who don't follow their orders, but of course they'd call it "look what you made me do". When the owner wants to send a warning to an employee for their disobedience, they never approach you personally, instead, they send someone else to do the dirty job and hide behind the curtain to see your grudge grow. The office politics is poisoning everyone who just wants to do his/her job instead of meaningless private talks and the tense being built among the co-workers. Improvised company rules. The management often comes up with new rules that cannot be found anywhere in the Best Learning company regulations and your hard earned money would just be taken away as a snap of fingers once you break those rules. The funny part is the rule maker is exempted from those rules. Increased workload. The weekly workload is 50 hours(the contract stated 40) including launch and dinner time, but food time won't exceed 3.5 hours a week. There is little resting time in between, but often interrupted. Though the teaching hours is less than that, they often come up with activities for business purpose and you have to participate, while the payment remains the same. Total surveillance. There are surveillance cameras in every corner at the center, and the management has an obsession for watching the footage. Dishonest to the public. Always lie to the parents about the FT's nationality and qualification in order to make them sign.

Best Learning2018-06-03

"Scam School"

Current Employee - Foreign Language Teacher in Beijing, Beijing

I have been working at Best Learning full-time for less than a year

Pros

The kids are cute.

Cons

Best Learning is a scam. Do not listen when they say “oh, that is just how things work in China.” Last year several teachers were arrested for working under illegal conditions due to listening to this. There is a lot of fine print in the contract. You will not actually be paid for for you’re first forty teaching hours, they keep most of your paycheck if you quit ( or all of it), and they can get you into a lot of trouble. When the police detained teachers at my center for questioning Best Learning did not help them and when they disappeared they told us they went home. When I was there I constantly felt bad because the students were spending a lot of money on this stupid scam school without knowing what it actually was.

Best Learning2018-05-08

"TOTAL SCAM!!! BEWARE!!!"

Former Employee - English Teacher in Beijing, Beijing

I worked at Best Learning full-time for less than a year

Pros

None whatsoever!!!! Avoid this employer!!!!

Cons

Best Learning is a total scam. At first they claimed they were going to pay me 18k RMB but they only paid me 9k RMB for the first few months. The center didn't have enough cash to pay us during the Chinese new year holiday, so they kept our money for two months. They told me that they had gotten me a work visa but when the police raided the center, it turns out they had gotten me a fake visa. I was imprisoned for 10 days. They told us that they would pay our bail but they didn't. The center manager kept my passport and threatened to throw it away when I first tried to resign. Many female foreign teachers and Chinese teachers claimed to have been sexually assaulted by one of the Chinese managers at HQ. I don't know whether this is true but I heard many rumors that seemed to confirm this.

Best Learning2018-04-23

"Good pay, a lot of work"

Former Employee - English Teacher in Beijing, Beijing

I worked at Best Learning full-time for more than a year

Pros

Best Learning is one of the better English schools in Beijing. They have a corporate structure that is a lot more legitimate than other schools. They'll help you acquire a work visa, provide training and even help you find a place to live. A lot of other schools don't do any of that. Pay is great and there's plenty of time off. In fact, when I worked there, we got an entire month off for Chinese New Year - all paid.

Cons

You have to take initiative, or you're going to risk your job. If teaching pre-K through middle school English sounds like an easy way to make money, this job isn't for you. The management expects a lot from you. The problem with this is that, due to cultural barriers, it's hard to determine when you're doing a good job. But you if you ask for feedback and listen to your coworker, you should have no problems.

Best Learning2018-01-27

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 22 reviews