Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Reviews

Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation CEO Mark Suzman
Mark Suzman
1 Rating
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. Featured Review

"Great mission, great people, great benefits"

5.0
    Current Employee - Senior Program Officer Global Policy & Advocacy in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent benefits, fair compensation, and the mission is at the core of the work.

Cons

Evolving DEI approach, little mobility internally.

2. "Job at bill and melinda gates"

Current Employee - Salesperson in Bexley, England, England

I have been working at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation part-time for more than a year

Pros

Everyone is so lovely Customers are all genuinely local and friendly

Cons

On your feet everyday Short breaks

3. "yes"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Bedford, England, England

I have been working at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation full-time for more than a year

Pros

lots of gud reasosns yes

Cons

nothing bad it was gr8 ngl

Continue reading

"Great people, Great work"

Current Employee - Software Test Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people at this company are some of the smartest and most dedicated I've ever met. Everyone truly believes in the value of what they are doing and this sense of duty is present in daily work and interactions. Benefits are amazing, pay is good, and ability to go to sleep at night has gone up remarkably with the start of this job.

Cons

People work a lot. People work so hard and so often that the company has "quiet weeks" which ensure that people can't do meetings and are forced to focus on work and take it easy. Management definitely tries to get people to work less but if your work is "saving the world" it becomes harder and harder to justify taking time off. That said, much effort is made to ensure that employees have a good work life balance.

5. COVID-19

"Middle Management Rules the Day"

Current Employee - Senior Program Officer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

- Great benefits - CEO who seems to genuinely care and wants to work on known cultural problems - Beautiful campus - Connection to a larger mission

Cons

- Your experience is highly manager-dependent and while many are good, some are appallingly bad with little to no consequence. - Performance, credentials, and expertise are valued over interpersonal skills and trust building, allowing some individuals to get away with abusive behavior without consequence. - Total lack of diversity and unconscious adherence to white supremacy culture where cutthroat behavior is normalized and employees who are actually from the places we work are marginalized and/or pushed out and where grant dollars go to white-led institutions, especially in research. - Smart young people are hired and then marginalized with little opportunity for upward mobility. Generally, BMGF is the place to finish your career, not get it started (although there are a few exceptions). Programmatic roles are generally occupied by people who skew toward retirement age. - Generous benefits for parents on paper, but systemic discrimination of women with caregiving responsibilities in practice. This has showed up in major ways during COVID, where expectation have remained astronomically high and women are starting to leave. I know of several instances of women being denied opportunities or pushed out because of their caregiving responsibilities during COVID. - Major disconnect between our "talk" (i.e. what Bill and Melinda write and speak about) and our "walk" (i.e. how we do our work and how employees are treated internally).

Continue reading

"Just Know What You’re Getting Into..."

Current Employee - Deputy Director in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The Foundation is hands down the definition of generosity. The pay, benefits and perks are like no other. This review is not about the company and their generosity, it’s about the culture. When you get your shiny, impressive job offer, just know what you’re getting into. My rating is an average. 5 stars for the spirit of generosity, pay and working with fantastic people. 1 star for culture. To be fair, my rating fell in the middle at 3.

Cons

-First, the most brilliant minds in the world work here. It also means there is very little forward movement. We spend months talking and toiling about “strategy” and making everything more complicated than it needs to be. The partners in the field are doing the tough work. We are investing the money. It should not be that complicated - but the Gates culture is hooked on complicated. -Second , lack of diversity and unconscious adherence to white supremacy culture where cutthroat behavior is normalized. Employees who are actually from the places we are supposed to be supporting are marginalized and/or pushed out. Grant dollars go to white-led, “elite” institutions and there is little interest in changing this. It’s actually quite shocking for a place that claims “All Lives Have Equal Value.” -Third, the HR department is a disaster. HR gets a bad rap in most organizations and it’s not always fair. However, at the Foundation it’s the worst I’ve ever experienced. There are way too many of them (like 70 HR people). The left has no idea what the right is doing, you ask a question and you get four different answers, and the turnover is ridiculous. Ive been a people leader for 4 years and had over a dozen HR people come and go. You can barely get a question about basic benefits answered. Don’t get me started on the recruiting process and philosophy on pay equity. -Fourth, your team will go through change every 6 months so just expect it and plan for it. I understand change is inevitable, but it’s almost a disease at the foundation. It goes back to my first point, they make things complicated for no reason, which results in constant change and reinventing the wheel over and over again.

7. "Security"

Former Employee - Information Security Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation part-time for more than a year

Pros

Support, lots of resources, and amazing team

Cons

Strict dress code, must be on time

"Sense of purpose"

Former Employee - Senior Manager Program Management in Seattle, WA

I worked at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There’s no better place to work to have a clear sense of purpose and feel connected to the mission of the org.

Cons

Mis-alignment in IT spend vs level of service expectations

9. "Great place to work, roles are demanding"

Current Employee - Program Assistant in Seattle, WA
    No Opinion of CEO

Pros

Top experts, cutting edge of foundation work.

Cons

Long hours, smartest-in-the-room mentality leads to interesting work environment.

10. "good overall"

4.0
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Bali
    No Opinion of CEO

Pros

safe, welcoming, fine, perfect, cute

Cons

lazy, no benefits, low salary, low pay, low overall performance

Viewing 1 - 10 of 221 Reviews