Bio-Techne Research Associate Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Bio-Techne Research Associate Reviews

Updated 23 Oct 2019

2.9
Bio-Techne CEO Charles Kummeth (no image)
Charles Kummeth

"Good first job"

Current Employee - Advanced Research Associate

I have been working at Bio-Techne full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible work schedule, with nice minor perks like a gym , celebrations and good parking. Great first job out of college to learn industry standards and lab techniques.

Cons

Don't feel valued by upper management, pay could be better. Doesn't do enough to reward good employees or punish poor ones.

Advice to Management

Be more open to meaningful financial rewards for successful people, and be more willing to let go of employees who routinely fail to meet the basic functions of their jobs.

Bio-Techne2019-10-24

"Mis-Management"

Former Employee - Research Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Bio-Techne full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Let's see.....um..It's a job. It all depends on your Manager.

Cons

If you prefer out of control Management and a worthless HR who laughs at company meetings that they are off "probation" from swearing at employees this is the place for you !. If you appreciate being under staffed and low pay along with huge amounts of favortism, this is definatly the place for you. If you like a place where graduates quit after a month again this is the right place for you.

Advice to Management

Get a clue and learn how to treat people. Scientists do not automatically make good Management especially when they verbalize it to employees.

Bio-Techne2019-05-31

"Good lower management, rapidly expanding"

Current Employee - Advanced Research Associate

I have been working at Bio-Techne full-time for more than a year

Pros

Smaller teams make work flows much more desirable especially in a lab setting.

Cons

Some deadlines expected by upper management seem extremely unattainable. Can be tough to voice concerns up the ladder.

Bio-Techne2019-05-02

"Alright"

I have been working at Bio-Techne full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Coworkers. Hands off management.

Cons

Pays is not great. Not enough PTO. Management is friendly but incompetent. My title is research associate but I do no research.

Bio-Techne2019-04-16

"Research Associate III"

I have been working at Bio-Techne full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Flexible work schedule and life balance

Cons

Poor in employee recognition and compensation.

Bio-Techne2018-12-17

"My Experience"

Current Employee - Research Associate I in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Bio-Techne full-time for more than a year

Pros

It is research and application of knowledge learned while attending class in a specific area of work. Definitely interesting stuff that is worked on overall. Abilities to manage and multi-task on multiple projects is exercised in this job. Am under the impression that there is growth readily available to me within this job.

Cons

Have experienced some micromanaging which doesn't adhere well with my ability and preference to work independently. For the most part fairly flexible with schedules, however, there have been some work-life balance issues.

Advice to Management

Perhaps not be as rigid with rules and restriction. Although my department is more flexible than most, I feel people get more slack for various reasons compared to others and in my opinion that's unfair. Favoritism shouldn't be in the workplace.

Bio-Techne2018-10-30

"Research associate"

Former Employee - Research Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Bio-Techne full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good place to learn necessary skills for that early experience in the industry. Many hobby groups to join (yoga, fitness, running, reading, gameboards, etc). It is pretty difficult to get fired here

Cons

Management is so poor to the point that there is no transparency. Pay is lower then other companies. You will be worked to the bone. Promotions are given unfairly. Benefits are the same as other companies even though they claim to have the very best. I feel this company is rated high because the HR/marketing/sales area is great here. Everyone seemed happy up there, where the lab workers never seemed happy. I never... saw job growth opportunities. I did not realize the stress I had there until the day I left. It was not the place for me. They claimed changes were coming even before I started, but I never saw much change when I was there. Did I mention you are not given a personal computer, yet expected to perform data entry?

Advice to Management

Tell your employees what is going on in the company. Know what is going on in the lab so you can properly manage it, instead of giving out improper promotions. Lower the goals so they are reachable instead of impossible. Stop playing favoritism

Bio-Techne2017-09-21

"Research associate III"

Current Employee - Research Associate III in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Bio-Techne full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

great veteran lab people, able to work hard to get jobs done. okay benefits. although not as good as they were. pay is competitive. great flexibility to be able to do job. (time, resources, collaboration) great work schedule flexibility! sense of community/family within the various groups. still would recommend to friend.

Cons

perks are not what they used to be even though we are more efficient and making more revenue than ever. every year for the last 3 -4 years we have lost a perk be it big or small. long time employees are feeling pushed out....along with their knowledge. culture is becoming too "hipster" and not enough of "lets get the work done".

Advice to Management

start really listening to the employee and not the "current industry standard". we have worked hard to build this into a top 5 company over the many years and everyone that has been here 8+ years is feeling we are now not even in the top 10 anymore in terms of employee benefits, perks, compensation. bring back stock bonus program, gives a sense of ownership and skin in the game.

Bio-Techne2017-06-16

"Research Associate"

I have been working at Bio-Techne full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Regular 9 to 5 hours. Usually no weekends or holidays and no mandatory overtime.

Cons

Benefits are getting stripped slowly. The company is doing well but instead of distributing the wealth the only person that gets richer are high management, CEO and his friends. Regular employees get only 2% raises and now having to pay more of our medical insurance premiums you actually lose a % of salary.

Advice to Management

Distribute the wealth. We work hard all year and with the increase in premiums and the low % raises is a net loss!

Bio-Techne2017-04-27

"No Opportunity for Growth"

I have been working at Bio-Techne full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Steady work, easy, great direct out of college position

Cons

Repetitive, administrative issues, no opportunity for growth or reinvestment in core business

Advice to Management

Value employees

Bio-Techne2017-03-14