Biogen Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 18 October 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Sr. Manager, Communications"

I worked at Biogen full-time

Pros

The company is focused on its reason for being: patients. The "noble mission" is evident in everything it does, and it's nice to be able to connect your own job to improving people's lives. Further, the company (at the time) was conscious of the need for diversity in people as well as in thought.

Cons

Like many global companies, advancement is difficult.

2. "Sr. Manager, Engineering"

I worked at Biogen full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company with good culture and great benefits. Great people, friendly workforce.

Cons

Changing management at top, lack of focus.

Advice to Management

Look at your success in the past and how you got here.

3. "Rating"

I worked at Biogen full-time

Pros

Great Company to be a part of

Cons

The Culture began taking a turn in a negative direction.

Advice to Management

Keep your employees and patients 1st

"Was a great place to work"

Former Employee - R&D Manager in Cambridge, MA (US)
    Former Employee - R&D Manager in Cambridge, MA (US)

I worked at Biogen full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employee engagement positive for the most part. Challenging and rewarding experience.

Cons

Culture started to change due to a series of changes and power struggles at management level.

"Cultural rot from layoffs and re-orgs"

I have been working at Biogen full-time

Pros

Good Benefits, although they are scaling some back quietly since the start of this year.

Cons

The culture has changed for the worse over the last 2.5-3 years, with now being the worst I have ever seen it. The amount of re-orgs in such a short period of time has left everyone feeling exhausted and burnt out. Every 2-3 months it is a constant drumbeat of actual layoffs, rumors of layoffs, restructurings or management openly talking about consulting firms reviewing our processes & streamlining in a condescending manner. It leaves the employees who have stayed and hung on over the last few years looking over their shoulder and playing politics for survival than actually working to advance the company forward.

Biogen has greatly shifted towards an endless game of ruthless politics. Politics is the number 1 thing for many areas of the company. Those who are highly skilled and good workers that produce are often marginalized, taken advantage of and passed over. A co-worker who is a high performer was told by their manager last month that he cannot advance up a level in 2018 /2019 because he does not "sell himself" enough (politicking) and focuses too much on his work product speaking for itself. Honestly, I thought he does a solid job playing politics when needed. But to management, its not enough. But doesn't that speak volumes of cultural rot?

Other comments about it being a ghost town in the summer nailed it. Taking it one step further.. Friday's all year round , the office is empty and most sign-off by noon/1pm. Its a joke.

The work culture is very odd. As mentioned above, all year round, there is really only 4 working days each week at Biogen. In the summer, Mondays and Fridays are dead, so it becomes really 3 days. Then you have the mid-September to thanksgiving rush to get all the team's goals completed. December becomes a wash and the new year starts with a fresh set of rumors and Jan-May is spent with people/teams reacting as such by playing politics and sizing up what strategic projects will save them.

Advice to Management

After this re-org is complete, please take a breather on cuts and communicate it as such. You have no idea how many of your star employees are ready to jump ship and how many external prospects refuse to apply due to severe uncertainties.

Also, can you be please be a little less smug in the town halls and talking down to us like we're a bunch of unaccomplished slobs? This attitude among the newer executives that we're all a bunch of backwards rubes and they're now here to show us how its done, is not going over too well with the masses. Especially since we all know most of you came in with little competition.

7. "QC Associate"

Former Employee - QC Associate in Cambridge, MA (US)
    Former Employee - QC Associate in Cambridge, MA (US)

I worked at Biogen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, Work-Life balance, nice people

Cons

Too much politics and favoritism

Advice to Management

Have Sr. leadership communicate better with lower levels

8. "Company with good perks but uncertainity at top management"

Former Employee - Architect in Weston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Architect in Weston, MA (US)

I worked at Biogen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great perks, probably one of the best paying companies in Boston area with generous 401k, bonus. Flexibility to work remotely etc.

Cons

Frequent layoffs, reorgs, changes at top management which happens frequently leads to uncertainity and seems top management is not sure where they really want to take the company. I am speaking more from the Information Technology department.

9. "Good company"

I have been working at Biogen full-time

Pros

Vision of the company is focused and promising.

Cons

Getting big and bureaucracy is hard to avoid

"Good company, but unsettled"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA (US)

I worked at Biogen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance. Colleagues are friendly and it's a very collaborative environment.

Cons

Consulting company's presence is a huge red flag, no matter how upper management tries to spin it. People are nervous and "process improvement" is fancy talk for "lay offs." I'd be careful accepting an offer from Biogen until things settle.

Advice to Management

Openness is essential. Paranoia is high and no communication = green light to start looking elsewhere for more career stability.

"It's been a rough few years. Too many layoffs and good people gone."

Current Employee - Scientist I in Cambridge, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Scientist I in Cambridge, MA (US)

I have been working at Biogen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers. Exciting science. Great chance to learn new skills and collaborate with others. Salary is nice. Great benefits. Flexible hours.

Cons

Management doesn't know what they're doing. Typical corporate BS. Lots of captains. Not enough soldiers. They always complain that not enough is developed in house, but then they lay off a bunch of people and wonder why.

Advice to Management

We could do fine with half of you gone.