Biogen Senior Scientist Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Michel Vounatsos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Career for scientist"

Former Employee - Senior Scientist in Cambridge, MA (US)

I worked at Biogen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Well located at Cambridge

Cons

Mid-level managers have favorites and thus performance ratings are biased. More work assignments , less career growth.

2. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Data Scientist in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Data Scientist in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Biogen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and work life balance
    10 holidays + ~20 days off + shutdown between Christmas and New Years
    Awesome HQ location

Cons

Bureaucratic promotion system makes it difficult to get promotions if company is struggling

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, company is heading in the right direction even in tough times

"Great company to work for, for men"

Former Employee - Senior Associate Scientist in Cambridge, MA (US)

I worked at Biogen full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very competitive salary and benefits. Respect for work life balance. Paid parking in Cambridge and alternative commuter options.

Cons

Promotions are less based on what you know and how you perform, than who you know and how well you conform to gender "norms". If you are a woman, be prepared to wear make-up and skirts, and understand that your salary is going to be inversely proportional to your weight.

"Great vision and potential muddied by middle management"

Current Employee - Senior Associate Scientist in Research Triangle Park, NC (US)

Pros

The company offers excellent pay and benefits. Biogen is creating something good for the world and really values its patients. The strategic vision for the company is excellent and I believe Biogen will continue to dominate each market segment it ventures into for years to come.

Cons

The ideas of junior scientists are not valued and contractors are treated well but strung along for years. In my opinion a contractor should never be renewed for a second year... if they're worth renewing, they're worth hiring FT. We're not talking about 16 year old kids, we're talking about adults who would like to have health insurance and 401k plans provided by their employer.

Junior and mid-level scientists are taught to fall in line, don't rock the boat, and never stand against convention or you will be flogged through a concerted effort of "powers that be". I see people come straight out of college with the same excitement and fresh ideas that the CEO and top executives are always talking about, but middle management does not have the same appetite for risk and 7 levels later, it's like working for contrary accountants, not innovative scientists and engineers.

All of these things are mostly isolated to the "little brother" RTP site in my experience. There is not any company sponsored social hour in RTP, while Cambridge has weekly social "hour" from 4-7 where beer, wine and appetizers/snacks are served. RTP feels like a forgotten little brother by comparison. When we launched a new drug, all of Cambridge went to Fenway Park to celebrate and cavort for hours, leaving work early and partying into the evening. In RTP, we celebrated in the Biogen courtyard from 12-2 and then wen't back to work. They were nice enough to provide us with a Fenway Park backdrop, in case we wanted to have a picture taken for the "Outta The Park!" theme. There was banana pudding and iced tea.

There is also a lot of talk about internal mobility and the value of a diversely trained work force, but in reality most of the people who are hired into mid and upper level positions have been doing the same job for years, only at a different company. There is a strong push for anyone wanting to advance their career to leave the company. People are routinely hired in at hire levels than peers with the same experience and education profile, and the longer you work there, the worse the disparity gets.

Advice to Management

Eliminate ineffective middle managers, especially in development. Focus on creating a better culture in RTP (serving beer will go a long way). Make current employees feel like they are better off staying at Biogen than leaving if they want to advance their career. Move people around regularly to break the hard silos, encourage communication, invigorate workers and keep things interesting.

6. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Senior Scientist in Cambridge, MA (US)

Pros

There was good alignment from discovery to clinical research, also good internal collaborations. Most staff like working with each other and that helps team work.

Cons

Therapeutic areas no longer include oncology unfortunately and many of the very experienced senior scientists already left the company due to restructuring or pursuit of other opportunities.

"They won't let me in."

Former Contractor - Senior Scientist in Research Triangle Park, NC (US)

I worked at Biogen as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Great work environment. Some departments make good use of people's strengths. I felt more involved, needed, respected, and valued while contracting at Biogen then I ever did any place else I've worked in 30+ years.

Cons

As a contractor I was left out of all the good things. The stock price went from $150/share to $292/share while I was there. Since I was a contractor...

Advice to Management

Don't throw people out blindly.

"Great in the early 2000s, but management no longer believes in research."

Former Employee - Senior Associate Scientist in Cambridge, MA (US)

I worked at Biogen (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great resources, lots of money to spend, freedom to run exploratory side projects.

Cons

Random layoffs, sudden project concellations, constant reorganization, high turnover.

Advice to Management

Settle down, Knuckleheads.

9. "The company everyone wants to work for."

Former Contractor - Senior Scientist in Research Triangle Park, NC (US)

I worked at Biogen as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Developing new treatments for debilitating diseases. Emphasis on work/life balance. Excellent pay and benefits for employees. Contractors are treated well.

Cons

People are stretched very thin. Until the end of 2013 I wouldn't have had anything really negative to say, then Contractors (of which I was one) were blindly let go at the end of the year with no plans for how the work was going to get done.

10. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Cambridge, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Cambridge, MA (US)

I have been working at Biogen full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Challenging work environment,complete freedom to think about your research project, emphasis on innovation, new policies to maintain work life balance smart co-workers.

Cons

If you are not well connected you have to find out your way yourself.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

11. "Good company with determination to improve stock performance"

Current Employee - Senior Associate Scientist in Cambridge, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Associate Scientist in Cambridge, MA (US)

I have been working at Biogen full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Passion for improving the quality of life for people with serious diseases.

Cons

Employee loyalty is not weighed as much as it should.