Birmingham City University Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Birmingham City University CEO Graham Upton
Graham Upton

"Toxic macho culture"

I have been working at Birmingham City University

Pros

Great diversity of staff and students outside senior management. Good range of courses

Cons

A culture of I’ll scratch your back if you scratch mine. Too much nepotistic behaviours amongst the old boys network.

Advice to Management

Equal Opps training at all levels is a must

Birmingham City University2018-09-15
  2. "Bcu student technician"

Current Employee - Monitor in Birmingham, England

I have been working at Birmingham City University part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible hours, training is great as you learn many skills working with 3D printers, laser cutters and wood working.

Cons

there are non, staff are great and you get to meet lots of people

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing

Birmingham City University2018-07-19
  3. "Technical Demonstrator"

Current Employee - Technical Demonstrator
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Birmingham City University part-time for less than a year

Pros

The employees are very friendly and just awesome to get along with which made the position way more smoother and easier.

Cons

Payroll team would mess up your pay more or less every other month.

Advice to Management

Find an easier and quicker alternative to hand in your hours to the payroll team.

Birmingham City University2018-04-22
  4. "Birmingham student homes (Bcu)"

Current Employee - Casual/Part Time Assistant in Birmingham, England

Pros

Great team , friendly, approachable and always willing to help out. Great pay for students.

Cons

Can be intensive and multiple tasks required to be carried out. As I take students to view properties around Birmingham this can be a physical demanding role requiring lots of walking in and out of buildings in all weather conditions.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and continue recruiting students .

Birmingham City University2018-04-14

"Administrator"

I worked at Birmingham City University full-time

Pros

The pay is OK. The hours are just core hours really for the most part. It should technically be a do-able job (see cons).

Cons

Restructuring and past cliques made this an unhappy place to work, not just for myself but for others. I saw many people leave and much changeover where I was. One of the worst atmospheres I have ever worked in. That being said, experiences can vary since there are many departments in Birmingham City University.

Advice to Management

Be willing to work as a community in order to get things done and be practical. It is not just about defending your position and playing the blame game. The culture that has been created is toxic.

Birmingham City University2018-04-08

"Visiting Tutor"

Current Employee - Visiting Lecturer

Pros

Good atmosphere, Friendly staff, Nice facilities.

Cons

Not much guidance in advance

Birmingham City University2018-02-24

"Reasearch"

I have been working at Birmingham City University

Pros

- Flexible working hours available to you.

Cons

- It's BCU. It's an ok place.

Advice to Management

Do a better job with the course quality.

Birmingham City University2018-03-01

"Worst place I've ever worked!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England

I worked at Birmingham City University full-time for more than a year

Pros

There really aren't any.

Cons

Lack of management support. Inexperienced senior management. Bullying of staff is rife and is encouraged by HR. Disorganised. Work-life balance is shocking, I've seen staff having to respond to emails from their sickbed. Blame culture. Unable to adhere to regulations, meaning nothing ever gets done. Definite "us and them" or "upstairs downstairs" attitude between academics and professional services staff... (otherwise known as "the admin"). Nepotism is rife, people promote their friends. Managers suck up to academics, especially the Z List "celebrities". Nasty place to work.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the poisonous academics and senior management and sack HR.

Birmingham City University2018-03-13

"PGCE at BCU? Avoid!!"

I worked at Birmingham City University

Pros

This University is an absolute joke! The course leaders are literally getting you to enrol onto their PGCE courses when the reality is there aren’t any available jobs in the current market for the PGCE you are doing.

Cons

Deceptive course leaders who enrol you onto the course. No real job prospects for the PGCE you are doing. For example, in further education, no placements are actually available on the course for 95% of subjects and neither will you find jobs advertised in the current market for these jobs you are studying to specialise in. Completely ignorant to mental health issues from the bottom to the top of the hierarchy.... Absolute disgrace! They will all stick together as all they care about is lining their pockets! You will need to wait 3 months as a minimum to access any counselling and your mental health issues will be brushed under the carpet. The module tutors are not available on campus as we are told that they “are not based on site”. So what are we paying nearly 10 grand for?!! Lecture slides are not made available on site. Good luck trying to find a reading list when you start! Complete lack of organisation. Such a shambles of a University! DO NOT waste your time!! There are better universities in the region. I know Wolverhampton has weekly scheduled meetings with a mentor. The Uni of Bham have much better ratings than BCU. Do not be fooled by course leaders at BCU Open Days!!

Advice to Management

Stop conning your prospective students by lining your pockets regardless of how it gets to you. You’re not offering your students any real prospects. Wake up and look at your TEF rating to come back to reality.

Birmingham City University2018-03-05

"Not a happy place - at the moment"

Current Employee - Lecturer

I have been working at Birmingham City University full-time

Pros

Bond between colleagues tend to be great. Fantastic potential....

Cons

Promotion opportunities are EXTREMELY limited and it's often seems to be who you know, not what you have achieved. Finances are a major problem across the university. Staff at the 'coalface' are bearing the brunt of this - significantly more work and higher targets with smaller budgets, bigger student numbers, pressure on facilities and space etc.

Advice to Management

Listen to what the staff at the coalface are saying and act on it, rather than listening and saying there isn't anything that can be done!

Birmingham City University2017-10-12