BlackBerry Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

John Chen

1,774 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Great to work for in the good days."

Former Employee - Channel Sales Manager in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

I worked at BlackBerry full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

UK team very strong. Good people

Cons

Poor communication from HQ. Felt very siloed

Advice to Management

Overworking good people never works

2. "blackberry"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

I worked at BlackBerry full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Good salary.
    - Good environment.

Cons

- unstable.
    - need further products.

Advice to Management

- good strategy planning is required for company future.

"Dreadful company to work for"

Pros

Great benefits
    Brand still looks good on your CV

Cons

1. Negative toxic environment
    2. Extremely political
    3. Atmosphere of fear
    4. Complete lack of trust throughout the organisation top down and bottom up
    5. Dictatorship, controlled by 2-3 individuals at the top.
    6. Complete lack of flexibility. Work from home is not allowed and is actively monitored
    7. Style of leadership, processes and management of people is extremely old fashioned. This is 2017 not 1997 move with the times.
    8. Some of the senior leadership team lack integrity, professionalism and are not inspiring.
    9. Work life balance is extremely poor (some functions are worse than others). Expect to be contacted during your annual leave and at weekends. You are expected to devote not just your working time, but your life to this company.  If you value quality family time, think twice about working for this company.
    10. When you think of a tech company you think, and expect modern, flexible, creative, inspiring, a work hard play hard (both), open environment.  BlackBerry are none of these things.

Advice to Management

Sell the company to a modern giant

5. "Exciting but challenging"

Current Employee - Operations in London, England
    Current Employee - Operations in London, England

I have been working at BlackBerry full-time

Pros

There's big tasks to complete with (at least in my business unit) small teams, which means you're able to take a lot more responsibility on, and get experience with things that would likely be assigned to more senior individuals in other companies.

The tide is turning and BlackBerry is now re-investing in areas that they cut back on before when times were harder eg. facilities, employee events, IT.

Relatively flat structure - exposure to senior leaders comes early on, and assuming you're doing well, it can make a good impact on you career, and quickly.

Amazing people! I've never worked with people so dedicated and so loyal to their employer, despite all the changes. The emotional ties that people have to their co-workers and the brand is huge. Even across regions, I still feel connected and warm towards co-workers I've never worked with. Very good at inspiring those feelings, without any apparent action from the company. BB seems to attract the kind of people that builds and develops that lovely feeling.

Cons

There's been a big transition, and thanks to some cost-cutting taken at the time, some internal services are still under-resourced and are just starting to recover.

Advice to Management

Keep processes to a minimum - remove barriers that stop us from moving fast. We have a great product and a great team, so shout about it!

"Good Products - Impossible targets"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Leader in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Leader in London, England

I have been working at BlackBerry full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Market is responding to Blackberry being an enterprise software player rather than device centric business - some folk still stuck in that legacy and need to change or get out.

Cons

Expectations are for 70% + growth in mature markets with mature buying cycles - best staff are leaving due to over goaling no one signing goal sheets !

Advice to Management

Goal the teams in line with what is possible otherwise you will have a mass exodus on your hands and allow local decision making.

"Great Experience!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at BlackBerry full-time

Pros

I came to BlackBerry at a graduate level, and was immediately given opportunities to work on a global scale with senior-level stakeholders. After several years here, I have had exposure to numerous projects as well as challenging and exciting day-to-day work. Compensation wise, I am rewarded very well and manage to maintain a good work-life balance with our flexible working policy (core hours 10am-4pm)

Overall, BlackBerry has been a fantastic company to experience at this stage in my career - and even better that I get to work a fantastic team!

Cons

As with most large companies, BlackBerry is very process driven. I have had the chance to implement and improve some of these processes - however some others are hard to influence.

Advice to Management

Take on board advice from employees to consolidate processes in order to achieve faster results. Other that that, it is a great company to be a part of

8. "BlackBerry Learning Consultant"

I worked at BlackBerry full-time

Pros

Having worked at BlackBerry for over 4 years, in Egham and then Slough it was a great company to work for:
    - Culture
    - People
    - Work hard but good work life balance
    - Bonus

Cons

There was only a couple and these were around the very very confusing bonus system and the bureaucratic involvement we had to have with the North American GLS team.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees - we had a few "Skip level" meeting however nothing seem to come from them, not even feedback that we were listened to.

9. "Not a perfect climate currently, company has to reinvent itself."

Former Employee - Director in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England
    Former Employee - Director in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

Pros

Dynamic company (if you like...). Relatively flat organisation. Great colleagues. Collaborative environment. Room for initiative. Distinct products. Global presence (still).

Cons

Long period of restructuring / transition. Low care for employees (and customers...). Company has to reinvent itself as a trusted supplier, successful business and good employer.

Advice to Management

Start viewing employees as 'human assets' (again) rather than ´payroll objects'. Similarly, restore trust and reputation with customers by providing great service and customer care (deploy customer centric thinking)!

10. "Senior management given too long a rein."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at BlackBerry full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

When allowed to be customer focused it is a great place to work as can make a difference when dealing with partners at grass roots.

Cons

Some senior managers are allowed to do their own thing and ignore processes (MAP) and relationship management to get a quick win/buck.

Advice to Management

Check to see if senior managers are telling the truth.

11. "Employee resew"

I have been working at BlackBerry part-time

Pros

Great to work with a family run business.

Cons

have to work on most/ all weekend.

Advice to Management

everyone should follow the same rules.

Showing 1,774 of 2,073 reviews