BlackBerry Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

John Chen

1,868 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Enjoyable to work at, lots of redundancies at the time"

I worked at BlackBerry full-time

Pros

Great Benefits and community spirit

Cons

Lots of cost cutting taking place

2. "Project Manager"

I worked at BlackBerry full-time

Pros

Colleagues, benefits, work environment, fun atmosphere

Cons

Lack of transparency with employees

3. "Quite satisfied on balance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at BlackBerry full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some great people, products and interesting customers. Nice offices and good compensation package. Good career development resources available. The future looks positive!

Cons

Internal processes are a challenge. Aggressive sales focus from senior leaders. Need to listen to customers and invest more in core products to remain competitive

"Great to work for in the good days."

Former Employee - Channel Sales Manager in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

I worked at BlackBerry full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

UK team very strong. Good people

Cons

Poor communication from HQ. Felt very siloed

Advice to Management

Overworking good people never works

"Avoid this company"

Former Employee - Technical Support Analyst in Maidenhead, England
    Former Employee - Technical Support Analyst in Maidenhead, England

I worked at BlackBerry full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing I can think of

Cons

Terrible management at all levels, they do not listen to their staff and only care about meeting targets.

The expectations put on the staff is too much. Everyone is overworked and stressed.

The lack of staff puts pressure on the existing staff members, they have trouble recruiting people and when they do they just leave once they realise what a terrible place it is.

There are much better products in the market.

I heard BlackBerry was a good place to work many years ago but those days are long gone.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff, there needs to be a lot of changes made. You are losing a lot of good talented people.

"blackberry"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

I worked at BlackBerry full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Good salary.
    - Good environment.

Cons

- unstable.
    - need further products.

Advice to Management

- good strategy planning is required for company future.

"Dreadful company to work for"

Pros

Great benefits
    Brand still looks good on your CV

Cons

1. Negative toxic environment
    2. Extremely political
    3. Atmosphere of fear
    4. Complete lack of trust throughout the organisation top down and bottom up
    5. Dictatorship, controlled by 2-3 individuals at the top.
    6. Complete lack of flexibility. Work from home is not allowed and is actively monitored
    7. Style of leadership, processes and management of people is extremely old fashioned. This is 2017 not 1997 move with the times.
    8. Some of the senior leadership team lack integrity, professionalism and are not inspiring.
    9. Work life balance is extremely poor (some functions are worse than others). Expect to be contacted during your annual leave and at weekends. You are expected to devote not just your working time, but your life to this company.  If you value quality family time, think twice about working for this company.
    10. When you think of a tech company you think, and expect modern, flexible, creative, inspiring, a work hard play hard (both), open environment.  BlackBerry are none of these things.

Advice to Management

Sell the company to a modern giant

"Exciting but challenging"

Current Employee - Operations in London, England
    Current Employee - Operations in London, England

I have been working at BlackBerry full-time

Pros

There's big tasks to complete with (at least in my business unit) small teams, which means you're able to take a lot more responsibility on, and get experience with things that would likely be assigned to more senior individuals in other companies.

The tide is turning and BlackBerry is now re-investing in areas that they cut back on before when times were harder eg. facilities, employee events, IT.

Relatively flat structure - exposure to senior leaders comes early on, and assuming you're doing well, it can make a good impact on you career, and quickly.

Amazing people! I've never worked with people so dedicated and so loyal to their employer, despite all the changes. The emotional ties that people have to their co-workers and the brand is huge. Even across regions, I still feel connected and warm towards co-workers I've never worked with. Very good at inspiring those feelings, without any apparent action from the company. BB seems to attract the kind of people that builds and develops that lovely feeling.

Cons

There's been a big transition, and thanks to some cost-cutting taken at the time, some internal services are still under-resourced and are just starting to recover.

Advice to Management

Keep processes to a minimum - remove barriers that stop us from moving fast. We have a great product and a great team, so shout about it!

"Good Products - Impossible targets"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Leader in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Leader in London, England

I have been working at BlackBerry full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Market is responding to Blackberry being an enterprise software player rather than device centric business - some folk still stuck in that legacy and need to change or get out.

Cons

Expectations are for 70% + growth in mature markets with mature buying cycles - best staff are leaving due to over goaling no one signing goal sheets !

Advice to Management

Goal the teams in line with what is possible otherwise you will have a mass exodus on your hands and allow local decision making.

"Great Experience!"

I have been working at BlackBerry full-time

Pros

I came to BlackBerry at a graduate level, and was immediately given opportunities to work on a global scale with senior-level stakeholders. After several years here, I have had exposure to numerous projects as well as challenging and exciting day-to-day work. Compensation wise, I am rewarded very well and manage to maintain a good work-life balance with our flexible working policy (core hours 10am-4pm)

Overall, BlackBerry has been a fantastic company to experience at this stage in my career - and even better that I get to work a fantastic team!

Cons

As with most large companies, BlackBerry is very process driven. I have had the chance to implement and improve some of these processes - however some others are hard to influence.

Advice to Management

Take on board advice from employees to consolidate processes in order to achieve faster results. Other that that, it is a great company to be a part of

Showing 1,868 of 2,222 reviews