BlackRock Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 25 Jan 2021

Found 481 of over 3K reviews

4.1
Pros
  • "Good work life balance is encouraged(in 266 reviews)

• "BlackRock has a great technology with lots of really smart people(in 169 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Work life balance can be challenging(in 219 reviews)

• "long hours when there are tight deadlines(in 190 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great company but it depends on the department you work in

21 Jan 2021 - Associate in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good compensation and challenging projects. One of the best things is the culture and the people you get to work with.

Cons

Sometimes there is no work-life balance, especially in more client-facing roles.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Exceeded expectations!

6 Jan 2021 - Anonymous Employee in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Before joining BlackRock I heard it was a good company to work for but it wasn’t until I was a few months into my new role and had experienced the culture first-hand that I knew I had landed a fantastic career opportunity. I had worked at other large finance companies, but this felt different. I remember attending my first Global townhall where the senior leadership would draw huge crowds of proud ‘supporters’. You would be lucky to get into the auditorium let alone get a seat. The leadership speak openly and honestly and inspire you to achieve the firms goals. The firm have been supportive and well organised during Covid and communicate well. I learnt that many colleagues had worked there 10-20+ years which is a testament to the culture and work-life balance policies. People don’t believe me when they ask me how much holiday allowance I get and I tell them it’s unlimited. I work in a very smart and diverse team with a good mix of gender, race, and background. In terms of the work, I’ve received progressively challenging projects where I was able to develop my skills and was nominated for promotion after a year. I worked hard and was quickly rewarded with promotion and compensation increases. I felt like I was able to make a difference and my ideas were listened to and adopted which was refreshing for such a large company.

Cons

As with most large firms, trying to get things done can be more difficult than in a smaller firm and it pays to build connections with other teams and have an overview of how things operate. They seem to hire experienced candidates, which is great, and people stay longer. However, I notice less younger talent compared to other companies I’ve worked for. Experienced a slow-ish interview and on-boarding process.

3. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great if you're in the right role, right part of the business with a good manager.

17 Oct 2020 - Associate in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Generally get to work with very smart and high performing individuals. Unlimited holiday (once agreed with manager) Decent benefits Relatively good work-life balance

Cons

Pay isnt always competitive (depending on if you're in the right part of the business like investments) Long hours especially if you're on global team with lots of US based colleagues Has a significant number of people managers who are not good. Can be bit too hierarchical Lots red tape in getting simple things done.

Continue reading
      1 person found this review helpful
    4. 5.0

Great place to work

14 Jan 2021 - Data Analyst in Edinburgh, Scotland, Scotland
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture Diversity Good work life balance

Cons

No much guidance, you need to be self sufficient

5. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Work environment lovely, but very political

22 Jan 2021 - Associate in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Can genuinely bring whole self to work, work is engaging, everyone is willing to help and connect.

Cons

Too political. As a junior, your career progression is based on how well you know management, not how good you are at your job. Work/life balance nonexistent in Covid times.

2 people found this review helpful
    6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Leader company with strong support to its employees

12 Sep 2020 - Risk Manager in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

work-life balance, benefits, it seems that internal mobility is easier compared to other companies in the same field.

Cons

Decisions can be slow partly due to managers not taking strong decisions when needed and always looking for consensus in everything which is not always the most efficient way for bringing things forward. Quite bureaucratic with too many teams and people to involve for the most basic decisions.

Continue reading
    7. 5.0

Great Company

9 Dec 2020 - Product Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Extremely good work life balance. Supportive / engaged staff colleagues

Cons

not really any to speak of

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good internal mobility and work-life balance

19 Nov 2020 - Associate in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Internal mobility, work-life balance and support

Cons

Some of the American culture

9. 4.0

Risk Analyst

21 Jan 2021 - Risk Analyst in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The salary that BlackRock provides is good

Cons

The work-life balance in the company is bad

10. 5.0

Strong culture

13 Oct 2020 - Associate in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

A strong culture with a good work/life balance and flexible time off.

Cons

Often high expectation whilst also cutting costs.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 481 Reviews