Blizzard Entertainment Employee Reviews about "cost of living"

Updated 2 Oct 2020

3.6
Blizzard Entertainment President and CEO J. Allen Brack
J. Allen Brack
Pros
Cons
  • "Never kept up with cost of living increases, execs received massive salaries/bonuses while regular employees often struggled to make ends meet(in 34 reviews)

• "Work life balance is non-existent; show up for your shift or don't show up at all(in 23 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "cost of living"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great place to get a start in the game industry"

4.0
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer I in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of entry level positions and senior developers to learn from

Cons

Compensation is terrible considering the cost of living in Irvine

"Overall good"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

- Excellent benefits - Great community - Extracurriculars - Safe environment - Employees are also fans - Internal mobility - Diversity & Inclusion initiatives - Genuine care for each other - Comfortable

Cons

- Pay could be better - Lots of "old guard" - Cost of living is high - Some big egos - Lack of career counseling - Culture can be a bit cultish at times - Employees can become too complacent - Not enough risks being taken

"Review Structure Lacking"

4.0
    Former Employee - Operations Analyst in Austin, TX

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Friendly work environment, passionate coworkers, supportive environment.

Cons

Annual review and merit increase structure seriously lacking. Never kept up with cost of living increases, execs received massive salaries/bonuses while regular employees often struggled to make ends meet.

Continue reading

"A place that used to be legendary, but is currently facing an identity crisis"

2.0
    Current Employee - VFX Artist in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

-Some welcome benefits, especially for parents, or families who want to be parents. -Work-life balance is good. - Abilility to purchase blizzard gear with discounts(although that has decreased a lot over the years) -The campus -The Blizzard lore and history

Cons

- Overall compensation is low for the cost of living. - No stock options or other kind of benefits that vest and keep people vested in the company. -Low performance of the company during the last years brought the bonuses to an all-time low. - Very poor career advancement(amazing individuals leave because they are not treated right and not promoted over the course of years, sometimes even a decade).

Continue reading

"Do Not Try Moving Up From Game Master"

2.0
    Current Employee - Game Master in Austin, TX

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Free games. Some great co-workers. Insurance.

Cons

- You are nothing but a number for customers to berate you and leave you bad surveys when they don't get what they want. - You THINK entering Blizzard as a GM will eventually allow you to move up. No, you are stuck forever as a GM. You will never move up, they will find excuses not to move you up. - Unless you're in the Irvine clique, you don't matter. - Have kids? Too bad, you're too old to work here. You MIGHT get weekends off, but you are stuck on a night shift. Nights don't work for you cause you got kids? OK, you can have a morning shift but good luck finding child care on the weekends when you have to work. - You are treated like a child. You have to let the little program know you're taking a pee break. Can't take too many pee breaks though. Management will say some thing. - They treat you like a child because you work with children. Some of the 19 year olds seriously barely make it to their shift on time, then wonder why they aren't getting promoted. - Blizzard is GREAT at destroying your confidence and making you believe that you need them. Not the other way around. You are so lucky to even have a job at Activision, oops, Blizzard. You should be thanking them for the job. - Forget ever working from home. J doesn't believe in it. - Austin is becoming like Irvine. You need 5 room mates to live here. If you complain that the cost of living is too high, then maybe you've outgrown Blizzard. HR will tell you this, don't even try complaining. Oh, or you can join one of the workshops that tells you how to manage your money cause you obviously don't know what you're doing with it.

"Lok'tar Ogar!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time for less than a year

Pros

Top end work amenities. Core company values are spread through every level. Friendly coworkers all embracing a diverse mindset, creating a culture of acceptance. Leadership values getting to know the person behind the work.

Cons

Expensive cost of living in the surrounding area; the company does subsidize healthy food options in their cafe and vending machines in each building.

7. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time for less than a year

Pros

Everyone cares about fellow employees and wants them to exceed wherever possible. Blizzard actually wants to give employees a Work-Life balance.

Cons

Slow to go through approval processes. Cost of living in the area is outrageous.

8. "Dedicated to creating the most epic workplace experience ever"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time for more than a year

Pros

The title says it all, our company is dedicated not only to creating epic entertainment experiences, but also to creating an environment that the employees love to work in. It's an awesome company with a multitude of perks, benefits, and company events. Most importantly though, your coworkers are awesome and your room to grow here is limitless. Our CEO and executive team is awesome and really does an amazing job to work for both us as employees and our fans and players.

Cons

Irvine can be a bit dull at times, and the pay might not be as comparable to other companies in Orange County cost of living wise. However, you don't have to live in Irvine, and I feel adequately compensated.

"Lead Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have been at Blizzard for just under 3 months. The environment is awesome. My direct manager has spent an enormous amount of time familiarizing me with culture and setting my expectations. Perks are great, especially if you are creative or like games. Overall, after 3 months, I love it. The weather in Southern California is also great.

Cons

If I had to come up with something it would be that the pay versus cost of living (especially in Irvine) could use some work. Also it would be beneficial to review the vacation policy. It's pretty much set in stone and that is a downer for an experienced candidate.

Continue reading
  10. "Great So Far! Positives Outweigh Opportunities"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time for less than a year

Pros

Amazingly geeky inclusive culture with great employee benefits beyond just comphensation. Blizzard does a very good job embedding the core values into the organization. Those values aren't just nice to have, but forged in bronze around the orc statue! The time is really taken to do things the right way and the best it can possibly be done.

Cons

Some departments are difficult to work with and could benefit from stronger partnerships beyond their self-imposed silos. Orange County is kind of expensive, and some levels haven't caught up with cost of living. Also, some departments have titles that are flattened compared to the rest of the company.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 34 English Reviews