Block Employee Reviews about "growing pains"

Updated Oct 12, 2021

Found 31 of over 1,071 reviews

4.2
Block Head of Block Jack Dorsey
Jack Dorsey
Pros
  • "Great work life balance is promised(in 65 reviews)

• "Great team, with great benefits(in 54 reviews)

• Cons
  • "depending on the team) work/life balance is poor(in 32 reviews)

• "Growing pains of a start up for some of the newer divisions/acquired companies(in 31 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

What people are saying about Block

Join the conversation on

Tech

289.7K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.co.uk&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Employer-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Block~422050
    Join the conversation on

Reviews about "growing pains"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Bullish on Square as a company

Oct 12, 2021 - Human Resources
      Business Outlook

Pros

Cares about employees Preserves the tight knit feel of a company for being a larger publicly traded company, that is rare to come by

Cons

Growing pains of a start up for some of the newer divisions/acquired companies

Be the first to find this review helpful
    2. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

CashApp

May 21, 2021 - Software Engineer in Melbourne
      Business Outlook

Pros

I work for CashApp Engineeering within Square so can only speak for CashApp (which has a separate office to Square's in Melbourne). * Great remote-friendly culture though there are some things everyone is still figuring out (atleast I feel CashApp is better than few other companies I worked for in this aspect by doing more async comms etc) * Competent Engineering leadership - we don't have non-engineering managers leading teams or being engineering directors/senior leads who are very empathetic to real engineering issues and don't come with arbitrary deadlines or unnecessary pressures * Real autonomy to engineers. I've heard about it in almost all my previous places - but I didn't really know how it feels to be autonomous until I started here. Teams are only assigned a problem space / very high level and we solve it in the best way we want. No micromanagement or process overhead. * Work-life balance friendly! I can't speak for SF or other CashApp offices here - but the Melbourne (or AU generally speaking) is very much nailing this (or atleast trying best to). Don't have people staying late and working late so there is no pressure on anyone else indirectly either. * Good compensation / stocks * Working on very interesting stuff all the time due to the trajectory growth.

Cons

* Fast paced environment (good and bad thing I guess - so change is the only constant - reorgs, people movements, industry opportunities etc etc) - perhaps a good problem to have? * Whilst it's remote friendly, like I mentioned there are a lot of things still being figured out. The communities / guilds are not very active and kinda becoming just day to day work stuff. This would be a challenge for the org to re-energize such culture given Square has announced 100% remote even post-COVID and we already have hires from various parts of AU (combination of growing pains and 100% remote situation) * Not very diverse when it comes to senior management positions. Although the most diverse team when it comes to junior to mid engineers. Good thing there is acknowledgement of this issue but still work to be done by supporting women/LGBTQ members/person with some disability but fully able to work etc

Continue reading
      6 people found this review helpful
    3. 5.0
      Former Employee

Economic Empowerment is real

Nov 20, 2020 - Customer Success
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great mission and true to their values

Cons

Still dealing with growing pains

Be the first to find this review helpful
    4. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Square Support

Feb 19, 2018 - Customer Support in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Friendly, intelligent, and diligent colleagues - Free food

Cons

- No growth in support. There's very little opportunity to advance into a career outside of the support environment. typically, support is a stepping stone towards other career paths, but there's little to no room for mobility aside from being a support manager or resolution specialist (tackling escalated cases). - Difficult to support other products of Square when they don't have a customer facing team/direct transfer for incoming calls. I.e. Employee Management, Capital, Cash. Supporters are expected to have knowledge of multiple product areas so it does get difficult when there's new features/bugs in the platform/product requests/etc. since there's no clear escalation path in place - The nature of support is 24/7. You are meant to serve the customers and with that in mind, expect to work holidays. When other employees get a week in between Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, you're more than likely working. Though you get to work from home, it's unfortunate having to be locked up in a room taking calls while the rest of your family enjoys the holiday. - Growing pains = culture is difficult to maintain with rapid growth - Little diversity in the certain product areas and it does get cliquey.

Continue reading