Bloomberg BNA Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Josh Eastright

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The benefits are terrific, as is the work/life balance" (in 26 reviews)

• "Good compensation for the cost of living in DC, good benefits and relocation bonus" (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • "not much career growth established yet unless someone leaves in upper management" (in 8 reviews)

• "It may seem that it provides a collaborative work environment; however, it is very distracting, making it hard to concentrate" (in 8 reviews)

"If you want your sales career to die this is the place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Bloomberg BNA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you like chocolate there seems to be an endless supply here, they also have fruit on offer.

Cons

Too many to list, but for the benefit of those looking to work here I will try to be neutral.

I can only speak for the UK London office, Sales training is SHOCKINGLY awful. I mean - there is no sales training, you have some videos to watch and some tests on product knowledge, and then you basically come in and the sales manager goes on calls with you, which leaves you with little room to breathe.

Other sales managers might be different, but they are all based in the US, the sales structure is strange where there is just one team dealing with sales outside of North America.

So no room to progress if you want to move into management you have to wait for people to leave.

Treatment of contractors is equal to treatment of second class citizens. Its appalling to see really.

Leadership in the office have zero interest in their own employees well being. A lot of fake sincerity and lack of authenticity at the top which kills the motivation of employees. Also leadership sits in glass bowls away from employees - the power distance is ridiculous.

No one is happy. I mean no one on the permanent staff seem truly happy. There is a sense that they are all desperate to leave if an opportunity came their way.

There are toxic employees too - those who just complain, and emanate with negativity, because they have worked at BNA for years management can't get rid of them.

The office is deathly quiet - no one talks, no communication. And when I say no communication I mean it - think about the repercussions regardless of what job you do if people don't talk?

Too much unspoken resentment for the MD. Toxic.

Advice to Management

Adapt or perish. General inability to adapt is not helpful, you need to change the attitude of we have been doing sales like this for the last ten years and will continue to do so...landscape is changing so incorporate new ideas and listen to employees. Failure to do so will lead to eventual collapse.

Communicate with your employees, get to know them, what makes them tick. Really try to build a culture of open communication, because its a basic human requirement.

Start firing people. I know its not easy - but there are some people in that office that never do any work. Or do very little. They need to be held accountable.

Change the seating plan.

Treat people with respect.

"Review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

Pros

The products seem to be well respected in the market and I found a lack of outsized egos.

Cons

The office 'atmosphere' is moribund, there seems to be a lack of effective leadership and employee engagement.

Advice to Management

Clearer and more charismatic leadership needed.

"Legal Editor I"

Current Employee - Legal Editor in Arlington, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Legal Editor in Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at Bloomberg BNA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing Benefits. Great Hours. Company has a good vision.

Cons

Complacent Managers, The old guard from before Bloomberg take over control a lot are are resistant to technology and change.

Advice to Management

Advance more younger individuals.

4. "Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Birmingham, AL (US)
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Birmingham, AL (US)

I have been working at Bloomberg BNA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Base Salary, Benefits, and Commission Structure. Working from home allows you build your own business!

Cons

Recently saw a large increase in quotas, but nothing that’s not achievable. Product lines are very niche and take a considerable amount of training.

"START Sales Training Program"

I have been working at Bloomberg BNA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Echoing some of the other reviews on here, I could not have made a better career decision coming straight out of college. The START Sales Program is by far the best opportunity I've come across to kick off your sales career with an amazing company.

Good compensation for the cost of living in DC, good benefits and relocation bonus. Free coffee and snacks in the pantry!

Extremely comprehensive training on products, customer relations and the sales process.

Genuine camaraderie among your co-workers.

Easy transition from graduating college to your first job.

Cons

Products are complex, so the program can be challenging and intense at times.

The job is 9-5, but to be successful, you are putting in the extra hours.

6. "START is the Best decision I ever made"

I have been working at Bloomberg BNA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Comprehensive Training - You get a full year of learning about the company, industries, and products from the ground up. Your trainers give you all the tools you need to interact with industry professionals and help create solutions to problems they face.

Friends and Colleagues - One of the my hesitations was relocating to a city where I didn't know anyone. However, from the first moment I met my START class, we were all fast friends. Most of us were in similar circumstances, starting a new job, in a new city, with no friends. At work, we learned from each other and relied on each other's strengths, and outside of work, we joined a kickball league, and explored D.C. together. I can honestly say I've made some lifelong friends. The networking opportunities extend into the START "Alumni" as well. We can get advice from reps in the field about how to succeed in the program and how to prepare for the field. These are some of the top reps in the field, and they are always willing to share their experiences.

Culture - From the pantry filled with snacks, to the open seating, to the fish tanks on every floor, BNA definitely reflects the values of Bloomberg. This also extends to the access we have to Executives and Senior Management.

Cons

Busy Work/Odd Jobs - As trainees, we were given odd jobs and special projects. It's to be expected in our role, but some of them do seems like busy work. But even with these, you can learn a lot from them and gain valuable experience.

7. "Research Analyst"

I have been working at Bloomberg BNA full-time

Pros

Flexible schedule, interesting work, good co-workers, and great office.

Cons

It sometimes feels like you are being micromanaged. Management can be a bit too "hands on."

"HR Team has Weak Management and Leaders"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Arlington, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at Bloomberg BNA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1st Floor Pantry with unlimited beverages and snacks
    Office Building location for transportation options
    Credit Union
    Health Benefits and vision plan

Cons

Weak and incompetent managers who lack college degrees
    Lack of diversity
    Lack of employee career opportunities
    People aren't promoted based on merit or knowledge

Advice to Management

Learn soft skills and the overall business.

9. "START Sales Training Program"

Current Employee - START Representative in Arlington, VA (US)
    Current Employee - START Representative in Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at Bloomberg BNA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Incredible sales training program. Excellent sales trainers who are invested in you and want you to excel. I work with great people who are smart and want to succeed in life. My benefits package is fabulous and we get lots of time off. I am extremely excited about working for Bloomberg BNA.

Cons

Sitting in an open seating area. It will be nice to have cubicle dividers.

"Smoke and Mirrors"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Bloomberg BNA full-time

Pros

snacks and comp. Overall just total smoke and mirrors for the things going on behind closed doors.

Cons

all smoke and mirrors and so much gaslighting that goes on. No one will take the blame when things are out of your control and it's management that's stopping you from succeeding. You can't sell something that is a pet project of Mike Bloomberg and has little to no ROI.

Advice to Management

Stop playing favorites and take responsbility for your awful actions. I lost signifcant business because a manager was unresponsive and i'm the one at blame for it. Actually make your territories worth while and don't penalize those that are off site as out of sight out of mind.