Bloomberg BNA Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Greg McCaffery

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The benefits are terrific, as is the work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Good work life balance, good benefits (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • not much career growth established yet unless someone leaves in upper management (in 8 reviews)

• It may seem that it provides a collaborative work environment; however, it is very distracting, making it hard to concentrate (in 8 reviews)

"If you want your sales career to die this is the place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Bloomberg BNA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you like chocolate there seems to be an endless supply here, they also have fruit on offer.

Cons

Too many to list, but for the benefit of those looking to work here I will try to be neutral.

I can only speak for the UK London office, Sales training is SHOCKINGLY awful. I mean - there is no sales training, you have some videos to watch and some tests on product knowledge, and then you basically come in and the sales manager goes on calls with you, which leaves you with little room to breathe.

Other sales managers might be different, but they are all based in the US, the sales structure is strange where there is just one team dealing with sales outside of North America.

So no room to progress if you want to move into management you have to wait for people to leave.

Treatment of contractors is equal to treatment of second class citizens. Its appalling to see really.

Leadership in the office have zero interest in their own employees well being. A lot of fake sincerity and lack of authenticity at the top which kills the motivation of employees. Also leadership sits in glass bowls away from employees - the power distance is ridiculous.

No one is happy. I mean no one on the permanent staff seem truly happy. There is a sense that they are all desperate to leave if an opportunity came their way.

There are toxic employees too - those who just complain, and emanate with negativity, because they have worked at BNA for years management can't get rid of them.

The office is deathly quiet - no one talks, no communication. And when I say no communication I mean it - think about the repercussions regardless of what job you do if people don't talk?

Too much unspoken resentment for the MD. Toxic.

Advice to Management

Adapt or perish. General inability to adapt is not helpful, you need to change the attitude of we have been doing sales like this for the last ten years and will continue to do so...landscape is changing so incorporate new ideas and listen to employees. Failure to do so will lead to eventual collapse.

Communicate with your employees, get to know them, what makes them tick. Really try to build a culture of open communication, because its a basic human requirement.

Start firing people. I know its not easy - but there are some people in that office that never do any work. Or do very little. They need to be held accountable.

Change the seating plan.

Treat people with respect.

"Review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

Pros

The products seem to be well respected in the market and I found a lack of outsized egos.

Cons

The office 'atmosphere' is moribund, there seems to be a lack of effective leadership and employee engagement.

Advice to Management

Clearer and more charismatic leadership needed.

"Stable, Respectful Company To Work For"

I have been working at Bloomberg BNA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are terrific, as is the work/life balance. There is also a great deal of diversity-at least at the union and managerial levels. You will develop strong, lasting relationships with the people you work with, and because of the benefits and work/life balance, you'll be working with them for awhile.

Cons

This is not a place to grow a career, but to maintain one. You will also not have a lot of job mobility. The likelihood of you setting the world on fire here is low, but the trade off is a more measured, more stable work environment, and a work/life balance that I've never experienced anywhere else in my career. There's also something of a generational divide, both between the 'old guard' from the Bureau of National Affairs and the new Bloomberg people, and between the age groups. Millennials looking for excitement are pretty much out of luck. The different divisions don't really communicate well with one another (and in at least one division, within,) and so you are frequently in situations where well-meaning, hardworking people are stagnating on projects because of that breakdown in communication. Because nearly everyone in the company is highly educated, you will encounter ego issues on occasion.

Advice to Management

There seems to be a push towards an ideal of "excitement" and "new!" "young!" at the company, when the products are anything but (and probably shouldn't be, considering who we are selling to.) It's fine to be the stable, boring, measured company. Not everything needs to be "innovative." I think the image of excitement is dissonant to the reality of stability, and that really can't help with recruitment. Be who you are. Attract the people who want that stability.

5. "Student Advocate"

I worked at Bloomberg BNA part-time

Pros

Great resources and information for law students

Cons

legal research website could be improved so much more

Advice to Management

website needs an update

6. "Solid Company"

Current Employee - Editor in Crystal City, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Editor in Crystal City, VA (US)

I have been working at Bloomberg BNA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a company with good leadership that handles change in a predictable and rational way. I can't say that about any other news organization I've worked for.

Cons

There's confusion (and some frustration) about overlap with Bloomberg News.

Advice to Management

Sometimes messages get lost or mangled in the various layers of management communication.

7. "Great place for young professionals to advance"

Current Employee - Product in Crystal City, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Product in Crystal City, VA (US)

I have been working at Bloomberg BNA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I work in Product Research and Development.

It's very easy to get rapid promotions and both lateral and vertical transfers here. If you're smart and willing to work hard, working here will give you the career boost you need...and the brand identity of Bloomberg is very strong.

Cons

Some departments are still in the Stone Age. I wouldn't recommend working in Editorial to anyone.

"Didn't feel like a valued employee until I gave my resignation"

Pros

Benefits, perks, ability to telecommute

Cons

Unresponsive management. Company only cares about metrics and how they can cost-cut by outsourcing/contracting their work, even when it makes their own team's day-to-day counterproductive.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees' talents and career growth in a meaningful way.

9. "Company takes care of employees, but 100% hunter"

Former Employee - Strategic Account Executive
    Former Employee - Strategic Account Executive

I worked at Bloomberg BNA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best benefits you’ll find nationwide. 401k, and medical are unparalleled

Cons

If you’re working a sales position expect to spend atleast 90% of your time emailing, calling, and begging for appointments.

"Sales"

I have been working at Bloomberg BNA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent products, great benefits, field sales staff has tremendous flexibility.

Cons

Must be a strong Hunter in order to be successful in sales.

11. "Anonymous"

Pros

Great company environment and culture

Cons

Lacks proper communication structure