Bloomberg BNA Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 9 December 2018

3.4
Josh Eastright

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The benefits are terrific, as is the work/life balance" (in 25 reviews)

• "Good compensation for the cost of living in DC, good benefits and relocation bonus" (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • "It may seem that it provides a collaborative work environment; however, it is very distracting, making it hard to concentrate" (in 8 reviews)

• "This is the biggest challenge of working at Bloomberg BNA" (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Sales Intern"

Pros

A lot of learning, freedom, and hands on activities. There also is a huge pantry with free breakfast/lunch foods. Everyone that interned there also had the opportunity to earn a full time position through the Start Program.

Cons

Aside from the other interns you really don't have interaction with anyone else in the office (which is pretty large)

Advice to Management

Incorporate the interns with the full time employees some how. Other than that it's great.

"If you want your sales career to die this is the place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Bloomberg BNA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you like chocolate there seems to be an endless supply here, they also have fruit on offer.

Cons

Too many to list, but for the benefit of those looking to work here I will try to be neutral.

I can only speak for the UK London office, Sales training is SHOCKINGLY awful. I mean - there is no sales training, you have some videos to watch and some tests on product knowledge, and then you basically come in and the sales manager goes on calls with you, which leaves you with little room to breathe.

Other sales managers might be different, but they are all based in the US, the sales structure is strange where there is just one team dealing with sales outside of North America.

So no room to progress if you want to move into management you have to wait for people to leave.

Treatment of contractors is equal to treatment of second class citizens. Its appalling to see really.

Leadership in the office have zero interest in their own employees well being. A lot of fake sincerity and lack of authenticity at the top which kills the motivation of employees. Also leadership sits in glass bowls away from employees - the power distance is ridiculous.

No one is happy. I mean no one on the permanent staff seem truly happy. There is a sense that they are all desperate to leave if an opportunity came their way.

There are toxic employees too - those who just complain, and emanate with negativity, because they have worked at BNA for years management can't get rid of them.

The office is deathly quiet - no one talks, no communication. And when I say no communication I mean it - think about the repercussions regardless of what job you do if people don't talk?

Too much unspoken resentment for the MD. Toxic.

Advice to Management

Adapt or perish. General inability to adapt is not helpful, you need to change the attitude of we have been doing sales like this for the last ten years and will continue to do so...landscape is changing so incorporate new ideas and listen to employees. Failure to do so will lead to eventual collapse.

Communicate with your employees, get to know them, what makes them tick. Really try to build a culture of open communication, because its a basic human requirement.

Start firing people. I know its not easy - but there are some people in that office that never do any work. Or do very little. They need to be held accountable.

Change the seating plan.

Treat people with respect.

"Review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

Pros

The products seem to be well respected in the market and I found a lack of outsized egos.

Cons

The office 'atmosphere' is moribund, there seems to be a lack of effective leadership and employee engagement.

Advice to Management

Clearer and more charismatic leadership needed.

4. "Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Birmingham, AL (US)
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Birmingham, AL (US)

I worked at Bloomberg BNA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent training, flexible schedule, fantastic benefits, great income potential

Cons

Some markets are tougher than others

5. "Bloomberg BNA"

I have been working at Bloomberg BNA full-time

Pros

Great company, fantastic training experience

Cons

Hard training program, must move

"Stay away...!"

Former Employee - Legal Editor in Arlington, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Legal Editor in Arlington, VA (US)

I worked at Bloomberg BNA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- The pantry (75% of the time)
    - The people and employee resource groups

Cons

I accepted this position because I went through a recent transition and needed income. I felt overly qualified for the position, but honestly tried to put my best foot forward. After I started working, I realized that I really liked my co-workers and didn't mind the work. However, my biggest obstacle was management and HR . My manager was absolutely horrible. They were not competent, passive-aggressive, moody, and honestly I'm not even sure they were fully aware of how ignorant they were to certain issues. Manager became upset when I refused to befriend them, and when I decided not to make social media pages for the company. They also badgered another manager I met with, after manager suspected I wanted to move teams. Manager even made me succumb to daily meetings, where I would re-hash the same thing over and over. I really could go on, but when I advised HR of manager’s incompetence, they advised that they were aware, but failed to state if they would change that --- I was told, the manager would be getting a new boss. That, in my opinion, does not stop manager from being such a horrible boss. After advising manager that I did not believe DAILY morning meetings were necessary, manager ended up being really snake like and laying me off before my probation ended. I was already interviewing elsewhere and had just accepted another position, so loosing the job did not hurt one bit. I just don’t like that the manager is in a position, of which they are obviously not qualified for.

Advice to Management

Stop promoting unqualified managers -- Demote unqualified managers -- Don't promote someone just because they're good at kissing up to upper management.

7. "START Program to Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Bloomberg BNA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I recently graduated the START training program and have moved into a full time Account Executive position.

My advice to anyone reading this post is to take any of the negative reviews that you see on here with a grain of salt. For me, choosing to enter the START program after college was the best decision for my young professional career.

You would be hard pressed to find a year long role for which you are compensated (generously) and expected to do nothing more than to learn the product and train to be a top sales rep within the organization. I would be happy to recommend this position to any young professional looking to take there career further than the norm this early.

The program is certainly challenging at times but a truly feel confident in how prepared I am to take on field sales for this organization after the last year. There are times where you work long hours beyond a 9-5 however, management recognizes top performers and will reward those who are willing to go the extra step.

Again, as a graduate of the START program I feel extremely thankful to have had this opportunity and would recommend this program to anyone who is serious about elevating their sales career beyond what can typically be found at any other organization.

Cons

When you are in the program there is no guarantee of where you will move for you territory - how ever you will have options and the ability to choose from the options available ~3 months before moving out from the Arlington, VA office.

While this may cause some stress, it works out in the end. I was able to interview and move into the exact territory I wanted 3 months before training ended.

8. "Very hard place to work"

Pros

Some of the BNA people and some of Bloomberg people are competent and caring people. Decent benefits and pantry was nice.

Cons

Company does not support or appreciate its operations roles. Management was more interested in telling a story to further their own advancement than build a better product that people want. This created a backstabbing and unprofessional culture.

Advice to Management

Product needs work and the company vision of “who do we want to be” is dramatically out of line with what the legal and tax community wants, so business will continue to decline.

"reporter"

I have been working at Bloomberg BNA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Used to be able to have a good work/life balance. To some extend, that continues

Cons

Pay. Poor editing. Management indecisive, unable to communicate policy across division -- that's because Bloomberg BNA managers are only concerned with impressing higher-ups and, ultimately, Bloomberg LP. Always second-guessing themselves and every they manage. Company recently laid off 50 reporters and editors, as well as 25 managers (rough-but-close numbers); more layoffs expected in 1Q. Little training offered to reporters/editors. Training that is offered is let by long-time in-house managers who lack the skills and credible work experience. Reporters, many of whom have JDs, with experience are treated as cub reporters.

Advice to Management

Where would I start?

10. "Cool place"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Bloomberg BNA full-time

Pros

Great environment. Young staff. Looks good on a resume

Cons

Can get stale dealing with politics daily