Bloomberg L.P. Financial Software Developer Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 11 Jun 2019

4.8

"Software developer"

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time for more than a year

Pros

- New London office is very nice - Good management: My team lead, manager, manager^2, and manager^3 are all excellent. They're enthusiastic, know the product and have programming backgrounds. I'm confident about the direction they're leading my team in and the work we're doing, and they're invested in cleaning up the tech debt created by previous management. They also know and care about the team, each of them knowing me, my skills, shortcomings and desires. My team lead especially has pushed to give me opportunities to advance and have a greater positive impact at Bloomberg. - Good compensation

Cons

- Legacy tech stack. We're working on cleaning this up, but in the area I work there's a considerable amount of C and Fortran code. Most of it quite nasty. C is converted to C++ when we touch it, and fortran is 99% just being read to debug a problem, and not modified. I have had to change it a few times though in the last 12 months. - Long hours. 8-6 is the contracted hours, but I work more like 8:30-6. Manager is explicitly not-fussed about what time you arrive or leave, as long as you get your work done. I'd rather work 9-5, but I'm paid enough to live with it.

Bloomberg L.P.2017-12-10

"Definitely a good 1st company to work for"

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Working with smart people, most of them are ready to help - Well furnished pantry where you can grab a coffee with colleagues - Lot of training options for you to learn (even if not directly related to your working domain) - Possibility to move within the company (change team) - Get to travel quite a lot depending how much you are involved in outside-work activities - Philanthropy: if you like it, you can get involved into helping the world - Bloomberg matches most of the financial donation you make - Flexibility. If you have a good reason you can have a flexible schedule (6am - 4pm, for example) - In general, management will try to please employees (as well as interns)

Cons

- Long hours of work, not ideal for work/life balance - Team Leader management is sometimes flaky - Performance Review Evaluation doesn't seem to be consistent between teams, which make it unfair in some cases - You need to be ready to show-off to make sure you get noticed and get a fair review at the end of the year

Bloomberg L.P.2016-04-21

"Financial Software Developer"

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly and approachable peers and managers Care about training their developers in new technologies

Cons

Unconventional technology stack with lots of in-house software (although this is changing) Fairly large organisation, so things can move a little slow

Bloomberg L.P.2016-02-29

"Great colleagues, huge corporation"

Financial Software Developer in London, England

I worked at Bloomberg L.P.

Pros

Working with extremely intelligent, kind, and dedicated people. Learning opportunities never cease in either financial or technical domains. Salary and benefits are unbelievable. The name is well-respected in the financial world. Very tolerant and patient with new developers. Offices throughout the world can make travel a lot of fun.

Cons

By virtue of being such a large company with thousands of developers, Bloomberg can't always offer interesting projects to everyone, so it takes a long time to make tangible impact on a product. Development is very slow because the developer tools are either nonexistent or impossible to use. There are many incomplete home-brew solutions. WIth that said, there has been a lot of effort to correct these issues and retain talent over the years. Not a lot of interaction between the various divisions of the company.

Bloomberg L.P.2016-02-04
  5. "Summer Internship"

Financial Software Developer Intern in London, England

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. for less than a year

Pros

I worked at Bloomberg for a 3 month summer internship. They have lots of events for interns, which keeps it interesting. The other interns were really cool people who were great to hang out with.

Cons

My team consisted of people quite a lot older than me, which made it hard to relate to them. They also didn't talk a lot, which can make it a bit depressing when you're sitting in front of a screen all day - it'd be nice to break up the monotony a bit. The hours are also very long, and combined with an hour long tube journey each way there was really no free time available (aside from weekends), which just really took it out of me.

Bloomberg L.P.2015-11-29

"Long hours but good office and pay"

Current Intern - Financial Software Developer in London, England

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. for less than a year

Pros

Excellent and comfortable office Interesting job and coworkers Good pay for an internship

Cons

The hours are long and generally inflexible, with an 8-6 working day (long compared to other software internships)

Bloomberg L.P.2015-07-06
  7. "Good but very regulated"

Current Intern - Financial Software Developer in London, England

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. for less than a year

Pros

Good opportunities for climbing the company ladder. Interns are given real production projects that offers value to the company instead of dummy projects just to check their level of ambition.

Cons

Very regulated in terms of the number of hours required every week and every day. Loads of overheads in terms of reports, and when you're allowed to take breaks. Hard to balance working there with a thriving social life.

Bloomberg L.P.2014-06-22

"Looks good on your CV"

Former Employee - Financial Software Developer in London, England

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- many knowledgable and extremely bright people - decent benefits other than salary - impressive offices throughout the globe - looks good on your CV

Cons

- many incompetent and simply stupid people - promoting the wrong people for management positions - office politics - bureaucracy - lots of proprietary technologies - working hours (8-18) - pay below market average

Bloomberg L.P.2012-11-29

"C++ and javascript coding on your favourite amber and black color schemed terminal"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time for more than a year

Pros

The FSD training class will teach you what you need to know about Bloomberg's proprietary technologies. Good opportunity for somebody straight out of uni, who knows C++ to a reasonable but not expert level. For those with a few years experience, getting the same pay and going through the same class is less appealing. Bloomberg's RAPID enviroment and BAS framework are easy to use and quick to develop new features on. Bloomberg work you hard but the satisfaction you get from getting a lot of work done can be addictive. Free snacks and drinks in the pantry is also a plus. Lavish summer parties. Nice new "lunch room".

Cons

Bloomberg are focused on being first to market with new features which means pressure and deadlines and a big tradeoff against writing good quality code. Business guys can be aggressive and look through you, and not enough time is given to planning or design. Compile and linking against all of Bloomberg's dependent libraries takes ages and sometimes fails. The architecture is somewhat dated due to this, plus the presence of legacy fortran code. Outages affecting development occur too frequently. You can befriend training colleagues but most people keep themselves to themselves. The initial training class requires a lot of work and staying late and has an 80% pass mark. Working hours 8am to 6pm or 9pm to 7pm.

Bloomberg L.P.2012-10-03

"Really awful"

Former Employee - Financial Software Developer in London, England

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There're free snacks and soft drinks. People tend never to get fired. This is a major advantage if you happen to not be particularly good.

Cons

People tend never to get fired. This is a major disadvantage if you don't want to work in a code base filled with anti-patterns and industry worst practices contributed by people who really should have been fired, or at least moved to working on less crucial parts of code, a long time ago. Despite the claims to being a meritocracy it's more of a nepotism based promotion system with your line manager having the final and only say in your career advancement. Most of the skills that you do learn will be in Bloomberg proprietary technology and almost completely non-transferable. Wage is *not* competitive. My wage increase upon leaving was significant. The much vaunted "flat" (and by flat I mean there are still around 6-7 layers above you just consisting entirely of middle management with only a single layer of actual coders) means that you'll spend roughly 60-95% of your time in any given quarter doing menial work. Development environment consists of aged legacy machines; none of which have an actual stable environment. The function I was working on worked on exactly 2 out of the 20+ development machines... on a good day... when the stars aligned. It also took up to 4 hours to compile. This is sadly not an atypical situation. 50+ hour work weeks. Fortran.

Bloomberg L.P.2012-10-15

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 111 reviews