Blue Shield Of California Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.2
Blue Shield Of California President & CEO Paul Markovich
Paul Markovich

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Opportunities to advance, work life balance, great benefits and culture" (in 77 reviews)

• "Flexibility and ability to work from home a plus" (in 32 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A company driven to make a difference!!!"

Current Employee - A Honest and Candid Employee
    Current Employee - A Honest and Candid Employee

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time

Pros

• Culture driven by an amazing mission to “Create a healthcare system worthy of our family and friends and sustainable affordable.”
    • Ability to make a difference and contribution towards our mission every day. If you are not in the best position to do that, then you can speak to management to do so.
    • No shortage of exciting work going on. Blue Shield of California has ambitious goals. Hard to achieve? Maybe. But isn’t that the point of goals?
    • Overall great sense of pride and commitment. Everyone is directly or indirectly helping members receive healthcare. We’re not perfect at it. We are getting better at it and will continue to raise the bar.

Cons

• The healthcare system is complex. What seems like bureaucracy may in fact be everyone navigating through this complexity.
    • Transforming healthcare is not easy. Tough decisions and conversations are required to find the right balance. Not all decisions go your way. You need to understand that decisions support the overall mission. This is easier said than done.
    • A changing environment requires the need to be flexible and understanding. Communication is prioritized, though it can always be better and tailored to the specific situation.

Advice to Management

• Continue to value and reward your employees that demonstrate the ability, aspiration, and engagement each day they come to work. There are so many individuals and teams that work effortlessly towards our mission.

"On the way to becoming a great employer"

Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, culture, team community are great. Our mission is what brings everyone together!: We're working to change healthcare to be better for everyone. There are endless opportunities to learn and grow, if you know where to find them. Endless ideas for improvement bring a great deal of energy to company. I love working here.

Cons

Location by location, culture is pretty different. It feels like we've made plans for change, but don't always follow through. If you're not a skilled networker, this can be a difficult organization to thrive in and we don't always communicate well with our employees; it can feel like we design all communications for executive staff, not real people.

Advice to Management

Leadership should be more transparent about the future, and it would be nice to hear from the CEO and EVPs more frequently as an employee. I wish we shared more openly about our vulnerabilities and failures as an organization, we're missing out on great learning opportunities.

3. "Brokers are horrible"

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time

Pros

Great benefits, have the cheapest rates

Cons

Plenty of lay offs with this company

Blue Shield Of California Response

14 Feb 2019 – TA Director

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We know that changes can sometimes be hard on employees, so when that happens we treat employees with dignity and respect and we provide comprehensive... More

4. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Associate Project Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Associate Project Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Blue Shield Of California full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The mission is clear: deliver high-quality health care, at an affordable price, worthy of our friends and family.

Cons

The organization is very agile, considering its size, so people who don't like change/transitions are in for a ride.

Advice to Management

Keep your teams in the know so they don't feel fearful about all the changes - retention at BSC is going to be a combination of transparency and trust.

5. "What a great way to start at a entry level"

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time

Pros

Great benefits and opportunities

Cons

The traffic & not flexible with hours

Advice to Management

Nothing at all

6. "Worst Place to work"

Current Employee - Appeals and Grievance Coordinator in El Dorado Hills, CA (US)

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Other then my coworkers there aren’t any.

Cons

Horrible pay and supervisor(s) and management act like oversized toddlers or like they are back in jr. high. Being asked by a supervisor if your can go your personal social media accounts and look up your other coworkers just so said supervisor can see what they are up to is not ok. Especially while I’m on the clock and working. I once read a review that said Blue Shield’s motto for how they treat their employees should be “expect more pay less” and that is so very true. To say that you will be over worked and under paid is a understatement. I now see why Blue Shield gets sued by their current/fast employees.

Advice to Management

Grow up and stop acting like children

7. "BA"

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time

Pros

Good salary, location and benefits

Cons

Bureaucracy :( Ugh... 5 word minimum

"Great Company to Work For"

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time

Pros

Non-profit and mission driven organization that gives back a lot to the community. Benefits are very competitive.

Cons

Some serious bureaucratic barriers to getting work done effectively and efficiently - patience is needed to work here.

"Transforming healthcare"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mission and working to transform healthcare - strategy
    Pay and benefits
    Challenging work that help me learn and grow
    Flexibility to work from home

Cons

None . . . .

"Great organization"

Current Employee - Director in Sacramento, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Director in Sacramento, CA (US)

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities to advance, work life balance, great benefits and culture

Cons

Male and female pay are not equally. Although the organization is working on it