Bodybuilding.com Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

2.6
Bodybuilding.com President Jas Krdzalic
Jas Krdzalic

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The work-life balance is utterly amazing, along with the company supporting fitness and health" (in 10 reviews)

• "Super company with great benefits" (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • "If you don't bro-culture to their bro-standards" (in 5 reviews)

• "With black friday / cyber monday on the horizon" (in 4 reviews)

"Talk to someone who currently works at BBcom."

Former Employee - Talent Acquisition Manager in Boise, ID (US)
    Former Employee - Talent Acquisition Manager in Boise, ID (US)

I worked at Bodybuilding.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Bodybuilding.com has changed over its 19-year history. It is not the same place today that it was when it opened, or even 4 years ago, it is different. Leaving this organization was a difficult choice. I would not have the opportunity I left for if it wasn't for this place. Here is some list of benefits that they offer:
    -High 401k match
    -Good Medical plan(s)
    -Good Dental plan(s)
    -Good vision plan
    -Onsite gym, for you and a guest. Open 24.7 (reimbursement for remote.)
    -Certification and conferences - IF YOU BRING IT UP
    -Fun activities at least quarterly
    -site discount

The biggest benefit is having a team as they have here at BBcom. Most people love the organization and have the chance to help change peoples lives

Cons

Having to deal with people who are fixated on "where BBcom was" the organization had changed and that was hard for a lot of people.

Advice to Management

Keep on the path you are on.

"DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY!!!!"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Lakeland, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Lakeland, FL (US)

I worked at Bodybuilding.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Agile environment. Work from home

Cons

Super volatile environment. I resigned from a 6 year full time position with the promise of a great job that would support me while getting up to speed. I started working there and was given no help from my team or manager to get going. They are super unorganized. Was told they didn’t have enough work for me after a month and laid me off

Advice to Management

Start treating people with respect.

"No leadership. No passion. Just spreadsheets full of failed and half-baked ideas."

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Bodybuilding.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

After we hit rock bottom, we can only go up - right?

Cons

Strong personalities and big egos are terrible if you don't really know what you're doing. These people have no idea what it took to build this amazing place and the community we had. There is no leadership team - just a bunch of know-nothings that like the smell of their own stuff.

Liberty Media also doesn't seem to care much. Those folks run Expedia -- how the heck can they not find good leaders for BB?

It makes me sad to see this place go down the drains. Maybe somebody will come along and buy us and have an actual vision.

Advice to Management

Fire yourselves.

4. "Fun place to work"

I worked at Bodybuilding.com full-time

Pros

Great atmosphere and compensation

Cons

A lot can be asked of you, but you will be rewarded for it typically.

5. "Manager Customer Service"

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Boise, ID (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Boise, ID (US)

I worked at Bodybuilding.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Culture, lots of department events, employee discount.

Cons

24/7 availability needed. Good employee policies, but some times supervisors weren't performing at the same standard set by Director.

"Peter principle in Action"

I worked at Bodybuilding.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

benefits (though being reduced), on-site gym

Cons

Where to start: The most obvious was departmental management that was in over its head and was neither aware of its weaknesses nor that its processes that were supposed to catch problems actually routinely failed to do so. The culture in the editorial department was one that not only accepted mediocrity but fought efforts at improving quality, resulting in glaring errors and bad advice going live online. Not only did no one seem to care, they pushed back against those who did.

Companywide:
    1. The company was run like a boys club when I first arrived, with the young management team dating employees and hosting parties that got out of hand.
    2. Don't expect much diversity on staff. Its a bro-world with almost zero racial diversity, diversity of age, and a culture of getting out the door before 4 p.m.
    3. Outright homophobia in one area of the editorial dept. despite constant complaints to HR, which failed to root out the problems.
    4. No feedback loop to HR of problem managers despite promises.
    5. Decision-making confined to small, inexperienced leadership team that has resulted in zig-zag direction of one poorly thought out direction after another. Who thinks out bad ideas like Nourish + Bloom, or running the editorial team as an ad agency? Complete failures!

Editor-in-chief lacked basic understanding of not only the subject he was charged in covering but how to implement routine processes to catch mistakes. In fact I found that despite being empowered to fix mistakes I had encountered, it was met by a back-stabbing group that simply didn't care and fought back. Who, for example, thinks "I don't care if the information is wrong because that's what the writer wanted," is an appropriate response when an editor is trying to fix dozens of mistakes in a piece, and then the EIC throws up roadblocks to ensure it doesn't get fixed?

Poorly managed editorial team from the top, led by an editor-in-chief who found it uncomfortable to his personality style to deal with conflict and would rather lock himself in a room down the hall and read manuscripts all day long. Nobody was on the same page as to a commitment to excellence, and the result is what you see today: Glaring training errors and bad advice abound, sometimes dozens in a single article! The blind are leading the blind here.

Advice to Management

This is no longer a company that intends to serve its customers with accurate, intelligent information; it exists today only to make a profit despite being on the downward arc of its life cycle, so it's grasping at straws.

Stop pressuring employees to give high scores on Idaho's Best Places to Work. That's not encouraging submission rather it's trying to inflate your ranking.

Get some intelligent, experienced people on your management team for heaven's sake. The current crew of know-nothings is driving this company into the ground.

I wish I could rate zeroes because a complete failure doesn't even deserve a one star.

"Young Company"

I worked at Bodybuilding.com full-time

Pros

Young, Move up quickly, flexible, great benefits, they invest in employees, great office, gym, basketball court, discounts.

Cons

Bro Mentality, the work environment can be inappropriate at times give the nature of the work, lack of proper processes, if I didn't say it before...Bro mentality!

"Falling Apart, Steer Clear"

I worked at Bodybuilding.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friends, Gym, Everything you ever wanted to know about fitness, nutrition and supplementation.

Cons

zero-tolerance policy (Was talked to once and fired on the spot after 4 years, beware of RATS) open-cubicle environment, lack of leadership, corporate stronghold, no coffee provided for employees...I repeat, NO COFFEE PROVIDED, K-Cups are too 'expensive'

Advice to Management

Get out while you can

"Marketing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID (US)

I have been working at Bodybuilding.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Super company with great benefits. From day one they made this the best career move ever. Recruiting me was the best experience I have ever had with a company. New plans for the company future are energizing and promising. Most people are here to make the company successful. Good vibes mostly.

Cons

Sour and negative employees that are not down for change and make it bad for new employees who want to succeed personally and help the company succeed. Work a lot of hours but mainly it is because there are a lot of lazy employees left from the past. Not even balanced working hours for people on same teams is not fair.

Advice to Management

Keep making changes. We have a lot to fix so get rid of the nay sayers employees that are bringing us down. It is easy to ignore them but we are always cleaning up the mess they are probably making purposely because they don’t care. Thank you for planting the tree of new beginnings. I have only been here for two years so I don’t know a lot about things before that but know we needed it.

"A tell tale sign"

Former Employee - Senior Business Leader in Boise, ID (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Business Leader in Boise, ID (US)

I worked at Bodybuilding.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This company was awesome at one point. I really miss the people here. The thread of reviews is disheartening and classless. The fact that the company is engaging in this is confusing to me. They need to focus on staying a float.

Cons

Its seriously so sad that people cannot utilize a public review platform to voice their honest opinion without being debated by the CEO himself. This isn't a debate platform, it is a review column for potential and former employees. By engaging in the back and forth banter, you are showing exactly what the culture is like here. People aren't allowed to have opinions and less have the ability to voice them. BB may think they are doing themselves a favor by addressing these issues this way but really you are showing how insecure the state of the business really is. Doesn't look good to the public. Just go home the party has been over for a few hours now.

Advice to Management

Get a handle on who thinks they are your public relations person. They are killing a once amazing brand and household name in the treasure valley. I really hate seeing a company I once loved get dragged through the mud not because of their downfalls but because of people who still work there that think they know something about crisis management and clearly have no idea.