Boeing "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Boeing Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Nov 7, 2019

3.7
Boeing CEO Dennis A. Muilenburg
Dennis A. Muilenburg
2,323 Ratings
Cons

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Tooling Engineer"

Current Employee - Tooling Engineer
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Boeing full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Got to work on a lot of big projects right off the bat on a development program.

Cons

Don't get to do as much actual engineering as I'd like, more project management. Upper management doesn't seem to have career growth or interests in mind. Seat time is much more important than actual job skill in regards to advancement/promotions.

Boeing2019-11-07
  2. "Great company, takes care of employees"

Former Employee - Materials Engineer in Ridley Park, PA

I worked at Boeing full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good competitive salary, great PTO, respects work life balance

Cons

Some management / upper management politics.

Boeing2019-09-05

"In dire need of an upper management overhaul"

Current Employee - Operations in Heath, OH

I have been working at Boeing full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible Start times Work load is semi consistent for what I do Most other employees are friendly Benefits are about on par with other local big companies can't say much for entry level salary (that's in all who you know) Not much mandatory overtime - If you can't work overtime just say so

Cons

Nepotism Nepotism Nepotism The only way to get promoted or move into a higher position is to be related to someone or be a close friend. I was lied to coming in the door by them telling me that I could advance in my current position or move up into other positions if I was qualified. Upper Management will hire a completely unqualified or even barely qualified family member or friend before they hire anyone else... within or outside the company that has substantial experience and education. Promotions are non-existent. They never have the budget but then we hire 7 managers starting at 100k/yr each whom barely qualify as managers. When we get a minor pay raise each year (usually less than $.50/hr) and that is all across the board we are told that should be enough. Not keeping up with the local job market pay. Pizza delivery makes more money than some of the entry level jobs that require a secret clearance and working on defense contracts. (that doesn't make much sense) If you can't do the job and you got hired because you know someone they just move you from place to place (takes quite a bit to get fired)

Advice to Management

It's a vicious cycle. Stop promoting and hiring family and friends over qualified individuals at the lower levels. The problems aren't at the bottom of the chain of people... it's at the top. You can't keep doing this and expecting different results. We are losing good people to other jobs and early retirement because the workforce is not happy with your choices. You lose your good employees and things will only... spiral further out of control. Why? Because you continued the vicious cycle of promoting unqualified family and friends into positions they can barely manage. A senior level or project manager shouldn't be coming to a tech or other support personnel to learn their job.

Boeing2019-08-29

"Alright, But Not Spectacular"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Boeing full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

As a leader in technology, there are many large and advanced projects. The flexibility of hours is nice.

Cons

Little trust in upper management. Managers rotate too often and may have little knowledge of the field they are managing. Promotion cycles are once a year and not done at a local level. Company as a whole is way too reactive and will constantly take away and then bring back funds to projects.

Boeing2019-08-02

"Awful company. Look somewhere else."

Current Employee - Aircraft Mechanic in Renton, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Nothing worth talking about. They regard employees as the problem, not as an asset. They are very punitive. Management recently staked out the cafeteria and gave corrective action memos (3 and you are fired), to employees there 5 minutes past lunch break. Never mind that it takes FOREVER to get your lunch.

Cons

Very punitive against employees. They just want to punish you like you are an inmate at a correctional center. Also, they find the dumbest people they can, to be managers. Someone that smiles a lot to upper management must be qualified, Right? And, the discriminate towards older workers. Because all these new, young people, are anti-union.

Advice to Management

Get with the times. You are not a railroad in the 1850`s.

Boeing2019-08-17

"Where are all the adults??"

Current Contractor - Industrial Engineer in Everett, WA

I have been working at Boeing for less than a year

Pros

Pros? I guess the factory floor is pretty nifty. Being surrounded by huge partially built airplanes is fun.

Cons

This company is the most poorly managed hunk of bureaucracy I have ever seen. It's also the worst and most toxic work environment I've ever seen. I don't even know where to begin so I'll just list some complaints in no particular order: 1) The factory, workplace, and shared areas are disgusting. They hire only barebones janitorial staff so the common kitchen hardly ever gets cleaned, the floors are covered in... stains, earplugs, food remnants, garbage...Planes have literally hat mice damage to the interiors that have to be ripped out. The bathrooms are covered in...well bathroom stuff. 2) The management structure is entirely top down. In my immediate vicinity, I have a team lead, a senior team lead, a supervisor, and a manager. So I often get emails filtered through four layers of management. It also means that no one owns any decision. We routinely have meetings where no one in the room can actually do anything about the things we're talking about. "Hey, that's not my responsibility" is the most common phrase I hear around this place. 3) It really doesn't feel like anyone's voice matters or, more to the point, that anyone cares about the employees' voices. My team spent the summer implementing a system we knew wouldn't work and it costs the department and the company tons of money. Everyone said it wouldn't work, that the plan was poorly laid out - from the shop workers to the engineers. Doesn't matter, do it anyway. That's a sure ticket to low morale. 4) Holy heck these people snipe at each other! Everyone is passive aggressive and rude, from notes left written in the kitchenette to rude comments in meetings. I've seen meetings devolve into angry tirades, meetings where people walk out or refuse to even show up, blame games...Makes it hard to do your job. On top of all of that, work-life balance is literally a joke in my team. Constant jokes about not being allowed to go on vacation, needing to work on weekends, people working 10+ hours a day EVERY DAY. 5) The larger management strategy around here seems to be...non-existent. I don't think that any upper management personnel ever walk down to the shop floor to see the issues or understand the complaints. I keep wondering when competent people will show up to help. 6) I haven't been here long but I hear the compensation and benefits are pretty bad. No yearly bonuses, no year to year inflation increases, poor advancement opportunities.

Advice to Management

Uhm, please quit and let someone competent take over.

Boeing2019-08-11

"The Boring Company"

Current Employee - Data Scientist

I have been working at Boeing full-time for more than a year

Pros

You can have a lot of control over your work schedule and work from home periodically.

Cons

There's very little support from upper management to address problems. It's very difficult to get access to data and to get approval to use new tools or technologies. No one at Boeing as any sense of urgency so project drag on way longer than they need to.

Boeing2019-06-25
  8. "Non-Software company attempting to be a software company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Boeing full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Pay High Turnover Ability to transfer to another location

Cons

Limited control over your work. Upper management doesn't care or understand base level employees. High Turnover

Boeing2019-07-10

"Challenging... not in a positive way"

I worked at Boeing full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pretty good benefits, big name

Cons

There is no investment in you as an employee. They can leave you in a niche for years without caring about your growth. There’s a large culture of stagnation and “we’ve always done it this way”. No real innovation happens. Another really glaring problem is the fact that they’ll never let you go, no matter how terrible of an employee you are. You can be a parasite who contributes nothing and still be on the payroll... as long as you keep your head down. There’s no long term vision. Upper management expects you to get things done but there’s not a culture of planning for the future so people’s jobs are less cluttered and less about fire fighting. Instead, there’s constant finger pointing and knee jerk reactions to problems that can be solved if leadership would only put the initial investment to implement technology or training that will contribute to long term growth and not just band-aids. It is truly a shame that a company with such a magnificent legacy is run this way.

Advice to Management

Be present for your employees. You’re getting paid manager rates for a reason.

Boeing2019-05-13
  10. "Good work life balance"

Former Contractor - Packaging Engineer in Hazelwood, MO

I worked at Boeing for more than a year

Pros

Work-life balance, Pay, Culture, Training.

Cons

Upper management not flexible with change

Boeing2019-05-02