Booking.com Employee Reviews about "team leaders"

Updated Jan 18, 2021

Found 59 of over 5,208 reviews

3.8
Booking.com President and CEO Glenn Fogel
Glenn Fogel
1,069 Ratings
Pros
  • "Open environment, Good Benefits(in 120 reviews)

• "Great environment and friendly staff(in 101 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Very low salary, required to work BH(in 68 reviews)

• "For example should a staff member that happens to be gay, is in the wrong no one will say anything as that person will scream homophobia(in 60 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "team leaders"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great people, fast paced environment

Nov 5, 2015 - Customer Service Executive in Cambridge, East of England, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- beautiful office with nice dining hall, kitchen with plenty of food (not just fruit but cereals, toasts and jams and lots of more...) - gaming room but everybody is working so hard that you rarely see someones playing games there, room is use for meeting most of the time - great people, most of your colleagues you work with are really nice and you feel very welcome - nice company benefits - travel discounts, free lunches, pension scheme... - the company is consistently developing and trying to improve - if you show interest yoou surely can get opportunity to participate in internal projects - Booking.care - amazing project where you spend day out helping others and you get paid for it

Cons

- very fast paced environment. not everyone is able to absorb so many changes as they are coming very fast and they are big. Sometimes you are not very well informed so this can be frustrating - the company has very high expectations from its workers which is causing self-destruction, costumer service executives are expected to be fast and having high satisfaction score however this is impossible because when they expect you to be fast, you cannot give the care to customer you would like to as you need to meet the target each month. We are struggling it each month and lots of my colleague resigned from doing great job as they been pushed by team leaders and management to be faster so thee are but service is much worse. it is shame. - the company is not able to value people with loyalty and people who have been working in company for while as they treat every one same way. I am not that long there but I have colleagues who have been there for while but they have no benefit from that in comparison with others. - as the company does not really have any loyalty plan, there is abnormally high fluctuation - lots of people leaving and lots of people coming. - in UK Cambridge office, the career for non-english speakers is more complicated. I suspect that UK office is the only one having so many UK people in management. Unfortunately from my experience, English character is very tough and the lack of understanding for multicultural environment is sometimes very perceptible. When you really need a help or you get into the trouble because of your healthy conditions, you cannot expect any extra mile neither help and this also depends on your team leader. Lot of them pretend they do care about you but it is much easier to say than do. - Yes, you are expected to behave in their standard so it means you cannot show your nature as they would feel highly uncomfortable. You have to often pretend that everything is so great and be smiling even it is not true. - not many opportunities to grow in the local office

5 people found this review helpful

Booking.com Response

The People Team at Booking.com

This is valuable feedback for us. Thank you for writing this review. We are experiencing rapid growth and evolution which leads to lots of changes. That is why we are actively working on improving our change management capabilities through better project management but also dedicating more local resources to change with Implementation Specialist and Communication specialist now on every site. Furthermore, We are working on reviewing our absence policy in order for people who face a serious issue in their life to be treated with more empathy while making more reasonable adjustments to working conditions when appropriate. But, if you’re seeing ways we can further improve, we’d love to hear them directly so we can include that feedback as we plan for the future. That can be done by speaking with your manager, HR Business Partner. We also believe that we make efforts to reward employees through development opportunities and promotions. Currently, around 80% of our managers and team leaders within the CS Cambridge departments are the result of internal promotions globally. Having a discussion with your manager is the best way for you to move forward. We’re also strengthening our management capabilities to ensure every interaction with your local manager feels productive and supportive. Thanks again for your feedback, it helps us improve as we continue to make improvements. Thanks, The People Team at Booking.com

2. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to work for, until the new CEO came in

Dec 28, 2020 - Customer Service Specialist in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great place to work, due to the high KPIs the company offered many incentives such as high pay, different shift patterns and cashback for properties booked via the platform. Moreover, this is a great company to work for especially coming out of university, as the atmosphere is primarily young, active and diverse. I was able to constantly swap my shifts and have time off in the future without using my holidays, free food, free coffee and free healthy snacks.

Cons

No company is ever perfect, but please take this as constructive criticism. In order to have a good work-life in Booking, depends on the Team leader that you are assigned to. As micromanagement is at the forefront in this role, luckily my TL treated us like adults and continued to let us get on with our work, so long as we met the office targets; whereas other TLs will put a lot of high pressure on their agents in an attempt to surpass the min office targets, as a result, this is counter-intuitive and produces the opposite results. The TLs only want high results so that they can get higher bonuses and if that does not happen, they will find ways to make the agents work-life not so great, giving them an excuse to leave the firm and thus giving the TLs better stats, leading to another criticism, the firm is all about numbers. Whilst they heavily preach that the "customer is at the centre of everything we do", could not be further from the truth. I will not go into full details, but due to the firm being so stat driven and TLs wanting high team stats, this has led to agents cheating the system, in order to elevate the pressure that they are receiving and not be constantly threatened with a Personal Improvement Plan or dismissal. It is very hard to be dismissed by this firm, and that is a good thing however some of the TLs will try to find ways if the agent is not meeting their personal expectations, even though they are meeting office targets. Nonetheless, I do admire the organisation trying to find ways to improve personal development and hire from within, but unfortunately, Booking is also a victim of brown nosing and who you know, in order to be promoted or to be part of certain CRM projects. This company is a very LGBT friendly environment and that is amazing for being inclusive and progressive, however they are constantly shoving their own beliefs in our throats and it can be overwhelming at times. Some staff and Management as well need to be reminded that this is a workplace and not a drag Queen race or a club. I have seen some pretty obscene stuff and heard some pretty hurtful things for someone having an opinion or raising concerns. For example should a staff member that happens to be gay, is in the wrong no one will say anything as that person will scream homophobia. I strongly believe in equality and that we need to treat everyone the same, but we need to be professional and if there is insubordination, people should be able to comfortably raise concerns to management as this is a workplace. Lastly, the new CEO Glenn I would describe him as a Shareholders w3t dream, but just like when seeing a lady of the evening, the pleasure is only temporary and does not last very long. Some of the decisions that he has made are understandable, given the current pandemic; however in the long run, it looks like he will be shifting operations over to the USA due to its lax labour laws in comparison to the EU and closing some operations down and giving them to 3rd parties instead. Working life was great under the previous CEO Gillian, who recognised the importance of work-life balance, however as I cannot go into detail, some of the decisions made are highly questionable and that has led to a mass exodus of staff leaving the company, whether this was intentional or not, we will never know but staff retention and satisfaction were very high under Gillian, but the trend is now declining under the new CEO. Finally, I would still recommend this company, it is a great place to work with great people, however due to an American CEO who not only knows how to please the shareholders but also taking over a European company; please be aware that you are now a number and expendable, only work for Booking if it meets your personal criteria and goals.

7 people found this review helpful

Current Employee, more than 3 years

big pressure, unfair treatment,

Sep 22, 2019 - Customer Service Specialist in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The company has a friendly environment as employers and managers are young. Many activities taking place, salary is quite good when you do unsociable hours such as Saturday and Sunday. lunch Provided for free

Cons

- The office is not stable as the management is changing all the time. - Agents are leaving the job quickly due to the high pressure in the office. - All team leader can intervene in other teams affairs and agents. - To get promoted in position is not based on experience or hard work but on people you know and hung around all the time (need to have the same principles and values as them) or you need to be Italian. - Some Team leaders treat their agents differently. - The holiday can not be taken unless the computer allows you, and never gives what you asked for. or can allow it at the last minute when the travel ticket is extremely expensive. - Big pressure on agents to reach the target which is changing all the time in order to push agents till the edge otherwise you will put under PIP program to increase the number if not you may get fired. - The office is currently currying an investigation in regards to the outbound call, as due to the big pressure, agents started calling suspended numbers in order to decrease their (finalize time) and to close their uncomplete cases such us complains and relocation. but the management considers this as gross misconduct and dismissed many of them. - The investigation was unfairly handled, some agents were not invited to this at all, some got just a warning and many were fired without taking their (3 or 5 years) great performance into consideration, however, if the team leader is you friend and you are one of the B.ready Agent you will have the privilege to get the asylum to be protected .

16 people found this review helpful
    5. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Serious problem with the office management

Oct 20, 2019 - CSE in Cambridge, East of England, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great co-workers, international work environment, a proper global set up, still the local management and draconian policies that are on basically restricting basic human rights, spoiled something quite good! I worked for CBG office for more than 5 years, and at the start, there was strong management, quite strict but strong, and their decisions were based on the benefits of business (promotions, career development, team structures), not on the basis who is your favourite in the office. Basically, there was a vivid intention to stick to the company's code of behaviour and meritocracy. Thanks to changes of the site managers, (a person got the position based on CV that was, let say, inaccurate), from bad to worse, once a good place to work, in 5 years changed to a place that was unrecognizable! From the best to the worst HR practice!

Cons

Customer service jobs are always difficult, still, as mentioned before, if the company has the right culture, providing enough support, training, downtime, and not pushing unrealistic targets and KPI's year on, it could be a good place to work. Just to sum up the main negatives: Team leaders are 90% local people that forged a strong connection, protecting each other no matter what they have done! Most of them are not highly educated (no degrees), on the other side, most of the employees are foreigners, with a strong international background and high education, they speak several languages, combined with good IT skills and master degree in various subjects. Still, the majority of employees doesn't know UK employment law. The management is fully aware of this fact and constantly takes advantage of young and vulnerable employees. The result is that incidents of bullying and sexual harassment were never handled properly. Just one example: during the post company's social event, a team leader sexually harassed an employee, a member of another team. The best practice, in case of young and vulnerable, would be to put the team leader in another office until the investigation is done (to prevent his influence on people's statements), and actually, the company should have advised the victim to go to the police and report the incident. None of that was put in place, the victim was silenced, and the team leader still works in the same office. HR is one of the weakest links in this business operation, and they just serve one purpose, to aid team leaders whilst firing employees. In spite of that, all serious official complains, submitted via regular company's channels, were never upheld. Even in the case when the members investigating the case and finding that the complaint was based on solid evidence, no appropriate action was taken to make things better. The sick leave policy is appalling, there were instances that employees with cancer were bullied into leaving the company (there is always disciplinary procedure), hence if you have young children, or occasionally suffer from flu or cold, this is not the place for you.

10 people found this review helpful
    6. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Always cover your back!

Aug 21, 2019 - Senior Customer Services Specialist in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Free lunch, warm soup/sandwich, bread and dessert with a salad bar or warm meal and salad bar - Free warm drinks, free fruit plus free cereal - The office stays upto date with festivals and implents the celebration if requested - Shorter lunch break allowing you to finish earlier, in time you'll realize this is not something to complain about. - Grace period - leave 15 minutes earlier or later (no earlier or later, this is monitored) - Area to grow if likable and enthusiastic - Nice open office with multiple floors (2) - Private lockers - Small shops nearby - Right by the station - Multicultural office - diversity - incentives in pay and flexibility to change shift pattern every 6 months - salary increases are good - booking freebies - quarterly bonus if on target. - possibility to have more days off for annual leave or more money.

Cons

- pressure to stay on target was unreasonable when a change of circumstances affected employees - even when on target, constant warning of going on a PIP (personal improvement programme), varied from TL to TL. - higher management failed to support when mental health was being effected (not all Team Leaders were bad, but some could make you feel uncomfortable). Mental health really needs to be supported especially when it is caused from stress on the job. - regardless of how long you've been in the company, there was not a sense of job security. I would advise all employees to join a legal union not matter what company you join but especially for Booking.com. - hard to trust some team leaders as some were two faced towards their own colleagues let alone agents. Never go alone in a displinary meeting. - once locked into pension after a certain time period, I was personally unable to leave however was told there was a way but clearly it wasn't made clear to me. - sickness- a TL once said to me to prove I was sick if I was sick and wasn't in work at the time if this was within the time period of the sickness period before having to provide a Dr's note but not all TLs needed to see you looking physically unwell. 3 sickness within a year max before going on a displinary. - TLs told me conflicting information of the companies sickness and lateness policies based on personal opinion without a proper source of proof online. (If ever in trouble, proof is required). - discount - 25% capt to 1000 EUR a year for friends and family, takes 3 months to recieve in paycheck so it's not upfront repayment. - overtime rate was always given with uncertainty, overtime was only available during peak and not for all languages. - everything is monitored, so follow you schedule, you can only be around 3 minutes off according to your schedule, 6 minutes is pushing it. This is a global statistic - if you get the wrong TL, things will not be easy, but having being there for may years I had the best and worst. A TL once said to an agent "you cannot become a Team leader, you don't have it in you, you're not ready yet". This agent then applied elsewhere for a more flexible position than the team leaders and is still building herself there within the same company, different office. That team leader still works in the office as it goes to show, your potential is what you make it, don't let people knock you when you're meant for bigger and better things.

6 people found this review helpful
    7. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

On a downward spiral as the years pass. Terrible place to work.

Sep 12, 2019 - Senior Customer Service Executive in Cambridge, East of England, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Paid lunches. - Enough employees to find some nice people to get you through the day. - Salary was competitive for the field. - Booking.com(as a company) is not a bad employer, it's specifically the Cambridge office that is a bad place to work.

Cons

The management over the past 5 years have taken this office in a really unfortunate and negative direction. Looking back, it was a great place to be, nearly everyone was happy to come to work. However, due to a steady influx of negative/idiotic changes, it's been turned into a joyless machine that churns through staff on a regular basis. My main points of contention are as follows: - High turnover of staff due to unrealistic expectations. And the ones that are left are thoroughly miserable and looking for other work. Horrible atmosphere in the office due to this. - The management have no sense of what it's like to be an agent, take no care in the wellbeing of their employees and just push them to edge of their sanity. It's as if they have come to an agreement that they don't want anyone in the company to last more than a couple of years(most likely so they can keep hiring cheaper new people rather than pay loyal, hard working employees a higher salary). - If you do manage to struggle through and survive the unrealistic targets set by the management, you're not rewarded for your loyalty. Being a long standing employee garners no benefits, the management don't want you there for long. - Equal opportunities doesn't exist. The only opportunities to be promoted are given to those who can consistently fake a positive attitude. To those who consistently tell the management what they want to hear. The hard working people, who add constructive criticism are punished for speaking out. - Very, very harsh handling of sick leave. All employees are under extreme pressure to never take a day off sick. If you are sick, on your return you have to justify that sickness and are asked questions like "How could you avoid being sick in the future?". They literally set targets such as "Don't be sick for the next 6 months". If you continue to be sick, it's highly likely that you'll be dismissed. - Clear favouritism towards Team Leaders, HR and Management. If you are a team leader, you can essentially abuse your position and get away with doing very little for a lot more money. Quite the opposite to that of agents and senior support staff. In my time there I saw many turning up late with no repercussions. Saw team leaders quite literally bullying agents, targeting agents that they didn't like to push them out of the company. HR are supposed to be impartial and there if you feel something is not right or not fair. The problem is that HR protects management and team leaders. They are far too friendly with them to remain impartial and professional. Due to being protected, they can do no wrong, as far as the company is concerned. - Planning/scheduling is all that matters anymore. Adhering to the ridiculous schedules is the only thing that management care about. There is no flexibility with your day. You're told when you can take a break and will be punished for being minutes out of adherence. Even if you're forced to be late for a break due to a difficult customer shouting at you on the phone for ages. I worked there a long time. I have near unlimited further points to justify why I think the Booking.com Cambridge office is a terrible place to work. But frankly, I've already given too much of my life to this company. Even airing my complaints is tiring. I hope that I've at least made it clear to those reading this that they should not apply for a job here. And to those who are currently working there, hang in there, keep searching, you'll find something much better soon enough. Avoid this office like the plague.

12 people found this review helpful
    8. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Big company , big budget , worst management style and no

Aug 15, 2019 - Customer Service Specialist in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good payment rate for weekends shifts , Nice office and location ,

Cons

There is a huge lack of support from the management team towards the agents , - The London office is controlled by sort of troupes ( internal position are given to specific people , there is a huge discrimination hidden within the office , - There is a huge pressure on the agents on stats compared to the team leaders , the agents are required to stick to their targets weekly ,hourly and quarterly - There is huge lack of internal recruitment and there is no appreciations for high performance from the management team - The in one year period there was a huge number of resignations from top management team , which affect the atmosphere of the work environment - Agents are not able to take holidays only for specific time , however for the team leaders and management there is more flexibility , - Overtime is related to your kpi and based on the approval of the team leader which is not the case in the other offices , this is totally discrimination towards agents working in London office - there is unfair way of distributing the shift pattern of calls and emails for the agents , which cause huge pressure on the agents and the opposite on others , being on phone all day or working on emails all day is not the same at all . - Some team leaders are so unprofessional , there is not communication or leadership skills to see team leader jumping and running around like a child , there is not strict rules for the TL around the office or their schedules , some TL skip their meetings one to one to have some rest ,and some are not bothering to deal with their agents or their issues . - The system used to calculate the performance of the agents is not accurate and make huge pressure on the agents accordingly , - All CSMs cares about is the stats and reaching the targets of the contacts due to the pressure from the head office -Lack of training and professional from the outsourcing agents used by the company to cover the peak season busy time. which causes more work to the agents instead of helping reducing the backlog . - There is no appreciation of the experienced agents or their feedback towards the procedures and the work guidelines

12 people found this review helpful