BookingGo Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 18 July 2018

Full-timePart-time

4.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "A great environment to work in and always looking to improve" (in 28 reviews)

• "Dynamic and nice environment to work in (free breakfast, Perkbox" (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • "Communication between departments and managers is poor" (in 5 reviews)

• "still some way to go engaging with people - but making great progress" (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A company worth jumping out of bed for!"

Current Employee - Service Desk Manager in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Service Desk Manager in Manchester, England

I have been working at BookingGo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

• The company is built upon strong ethics and diversity
    • There's a work hard, get the job done and have fun mentality
    • The company takes tech seriously, investing in people and systems to get ahead of the competition
    • You can make use of your abilities and your decisions count for something
    • People are treated with fairness and respect
    • There's a development plan and career path for everyone
    • Fantastic physical working conditions
    • Paid fairly and the company is expanding

Cons

• If you are like me, you love your company so much that you end up working too much!

24 Mar 2018 – People Director

Hi and thanks for your review and rating it really is appreciated. I know we still have a lot to do but our ambition is to make us such a good place to work, everyone is excited about getting out of... More

"Just fantastic"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England

I have been working at BookingGo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Where do I start. The team I work with are the best team I have worked with in my field- we have a great time, but also get through a load of work which is the perfect balance. The shear diversity in the company is fantastic to see and its amazing to think that there is still so much more that the company are trying to do to further this. There is an internal system which allows everyone to connect with one another- there are regularly hundreds of things happening on a weekly basis, where you can meet so many different people to do different activities both in and outside of working hours.

Cons

Nothing that i have noticed yet!

Advice to Management

Just carry on doing what you are already doing,

2 Jul 2018 – People Director

Hi and thanks for your review and rating, it really is appreciated and I promise we are working hard to make BookingGo an even better place to work. Thanks again Ryan

"Senior Operations Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Manchester, England

I have been working at BookingGo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Multicultural and up-beat environment. There is a sense of family and connection throughout the whole business. There is a lot of in-house coaching and training, allowing you to grow and expand to areas where you wouldn't have thought you would to begin with. Allow for a lot of new and interesting opportunities.

Cons

Internal People Policies regarding fairness, a lot of the times when a situation is brought to the Human Resources Team, the outcome seems rather unfair and not fully addressed. Transparency when it comes to new roles application processes

Advice to Management

Be unbiased and let go of "legacy" as an excuse to not allow fresh blood to succeed.

4. "Nice"

I have been working at BookingGo full-time

Pros

It is a nice place to work.

Cons

Normal. It is a normal company

5. "Declining company and low salary - unless you're a grad?!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

I have been working at BookingGo full-time

Pros

Nice food, fellow employee and social scenes
    Company parties
    Updates from CEO
    Canteen staff are nice
    Three buildings to work from and hot desk
    Close with Call Centre ops so understand their woes

Cons

Go to 5 different teams as don't want to deal on legacy work only on Aws or similar mind set
    Not able to work from home realistically
    Manager go to stand up to shout loudest to get the vms work prioritised?!! This not DevOps!!
    No private health insurance of company this size
    Product groups keep changing
    Not focusing on legacy apps and these tools are used daily!!!!!!!
    Different rules for different teams and click on who gets windows or Mac no support for Linux (why not?!!) The architect get all the cool new shiny laptops- what about the Devs who have to work on the horrid codebase?!!!

Advice to Management

Instead of focusing on more money fix your underlying code instead of giving to senior Devs who get fed up and leave company as you try to sway new hires with shiny instead of reward loyalty

More comms from technical less about call centre stats the csat score means zilch to most of the devs

Listen to feedback on here many people not happy and need to change super fast else loosing talent

"Great Company with a multicultural environment"

Former Employee - Analyst in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Analyst in Manchester, England

I worked at BookingGo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great working environment
    Very good company performance
    Very Good work/life balance

Cons

No room for skill improvement
    Same tasks were done on a daily basis
    Reluctant to use new tools and technologies.

2 Jul 2018 – People Director

Hi and thank you for your review and rating it really is appreciated. I'd be interested to hear more about your concerns if you'd like to drop me a line. We have made a lot of strides forward and... More

"I just hope not all managers are as bad as my manager was"

I worked at BookingGo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I actually enjoyed this place until it got to a certain place. I loved the people, I loved the old and more approachable leadership team. Sorry, but whatever will be responded back, I didn't find the leadership team from the last couple of years as approachable as it used to be. Too much red tape these days compared to what it used to be.
    Colleagues were amazing and I made friends for life. A lot of career opportunities, but unfortunately not for me (which I will eloborate on in my cons).
    Great social events - this used to be better when we were all on the same floor in Sunlight House rather than when all departments were moved to different floors on Foutain Street. Logistically, I see why this was necessary due to the growth of the company.
    I did learn A LOT, got to be involved with loads of creative and interesting work and work with cool technology and got to work with some amazing people, but in my cons I will explain why I can't rate the company higher.

Cons

My manager was the worst manager I ever had! Simple. Since I've started managing people myself, I use this person as the example I don't want to be, so I suppose I can turn that positively around. At the time I was probably a bit naive and may have thought that this was the right management approach as I didn't have that much work experience, which is why I never raised it with either their manager or the HR team. Looking back I should have raised my concerns though.
    This was a manager who was abrupt, judging when they were meant to listen. It was so obvious that this person didn't like me on a personal level and rather than trying to be neutral and workplace professional, they let their emotions get involved with the working relationship which eventually broke it down, as I lost all trust in this person and they had already decided they didn't like me. I was actually going through some serious personal issues during the last 5-6 months of my employment, but this person's management approach meant that I didn't feel confident speaking to them about this, as every conversation with them felt like an interrogation. It also meant that I had very little chance of considering my career even if I would probably have liked to stay on longer.
    In the end I saw no other option than leaving. Rather than showing any type of support, I feel like this manager was always working against me.
    The move from SLH to Fountain Street made it a less fun place to work although a lot of improvement still happened around that time. It was just a lot less corporate and more departments were on the same floor and it made you feel like you were part of something and everyone was a big team. A lot of the fun, after we moved and the most massive changes happened, was all very 'staged'.
    The sick pay was a joke and I hope it's changed as it created a lot of presenteism in the office, as people couldn't afford being off ill from work and would instead stay and pass their illnessess on to the team.
    They used to make you think that this was the only company in the world to work for and make it seem as if there's nothing after Rentalcars. Not sure if this was the intention, but would probably think of how this gets worded.
    I left the company with a completely broken confidence and it has taken me a long time to build a trustful relationship with my manager because of my experience at Rentalcars.
    I don't know if there's still massive letting go off call centre employees after peak, but if this is the case, it's embarrasing and not worthy of a company trying to be a fair and amazing employer.

Advice to Management

I hope there's some proper management training going on this business which does not just include how to document a conversation or how to chair a disciplinary, but actual management training on how to have career conversations, how to support your team member etc so more open management relationships can be built and so treating employees like children can get discarded. I am hands on heart the living proof that people leave their manager and not the company.

"Glad I came here for my Apprenticeship"

Current Employee - Apprentice Software Engineer in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Apprentice Software Engineer in Manchester, England

I have been working at BookingGo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Plenty of learning time given to us, we have a weekly apprentice bay for sharing knowledge and learning together, and I also spend some time in learning sessions with my product group
    - My team is really nice and supportive of me in both my work and my apprenticeship, I really feel like I'm part of the team
    - Mentor and buddy system - buddy helps with any problems I have with day-to-day work and mentor helps with broader things like ensuring I'm satisfied with how I'm progressing, along with chasing any issues I'm having or questions I have within the company or within the apprenticeship scheme
    - Free cereal for breakfast
    - I feel like I can say where I think things could be better to anyone, my opinion feels important and valued.
    - I'm able to work remotely from home when I need to, which is really good as I commute into Manchester

Cons

Mostly just a few really picky things
    - Can be a bit "business as usual" - newer technologies have been more reserved for hackathons etc. rather than day-to-day work as we are held back by legacy systems. There is work being done in this area so it's not all bad - I get to learn about why good practices are good practices, and also to help my team move towards newer systems which is exciting.
    - Canteen food quality in The Beach has been going downhill for a while, when I started it was really good but for a while I've preferred to go out for lunch. The free fruit can be a bit hit and miss (but then free fruit is better than no fruit). Cake options are good though.
    - Some of the meeting rooms don't make much sense and it can be hard to book the meeting rooms that are useful, also the meeting room software keeps crashing so you can't lock in your meeting room and then people turn up because they've booked the meeting room for the second hour of your two hour meeting that you couldn't confirm because the software crashed. This happens a lot.

"Apprentice Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Apprentice Software Engineer in Manchester City Centre, England

I have been working at BookingGo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As an apprentice, BookingGo is the perfect place to learn and develop my software development skills. We get an assigned a mentor when we first join and receive an abundance of support from our team, our mentor, and each other.

Every week the apprentices get together and practice what they have learned, share their experiences and try to learn new concepts and ideas which is a great opportunity for self-development and group learning.

There's a clear defined competency-based career path; if you are working at a level higher than you are currently at, you can apply for a promotion and if you meet the competencies you will receive one.

Everyone I've come across at BookingGo is welcoming, supportive and always happy to help.

Cons

The benefits package isn't the best, but this definitely isn't a huge issue.

"Software developer apprentice"

Current Employee - Apprentice Software Developer in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Apprentice Software Developer in Manchester, England

I have been working at BookingGo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible working hours along with a company full of friendly and supportive people. As an apprentice there is lots to learn so having a mentor who I can ask as many questions as I want and he is always ready to answer and help me is amazing.

Not only my mentor but I could just go to anyone in my team and they are always happy to help me no matter how busy they are. It’s a really nurturing environment that makes me feel valued. I absolutely love working here

Cons

I don't think there is any

2 Jul 2018 – People Director

Hi and thanks for your review and rating. "I absolutely love working here" is one of my favourite comments I've seen in one of these reviews. I'm glad your Apprenticeship is going so well and I... More