BookingGo Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

BookingGo Reviews

Updated 15 April 2019

3.8

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Benefits, career progression, free breakfast" (in 33 reviews)

• "Great work environment, really feel like I have a voice within the company" (in 32 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Amazing company to work for"

Current Employee - Technical Lead in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Technical Lead in Manchester, England

I have been working at BookingGo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had worked as an IT Contractor for over 10 years working for many companies in the North West before accepting a contract at BookingGo. After 3 months into my 6 month contract I enjoyed working at BookingGo much I applied for a permanent position, and I can honestly say its the best move I have ever made. There are many interesting projects to work on and the Technology stack keeps getting better. There are Innovation Weeks, Hackathons, company parties and events run during the year, its a real learning culture.

Cons

Its based in Manchester city centre so its good if you like that kind of location.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work your doing amazing

23 Dec 2018 – People Director

Thanks so much for your review and rating, I'm glad you liked it so much. We'll keep working hard to make it an even better place to work - Ryan

2. "A brilliant place to work!"

Former Employee - UX Designer in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - UX Designer in Manchester, England

I worked at BookingGo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It has a brilliant culture, for such a big company, everyone is easy to get on and work with. It really invests in its employees and has a lot of perks. Perks include the Perkbox app, in house canteen and flexible work hours. They use Workplace which is a great tool.

They are moving into their own building soon which will make it an even more amazing place to work :)

Cons

Depending in what teams or building you're in, it can feel detached from the rest of the business sometimes. Especially in other countries or cities, but even in Manchester.

The salaries dont increase much over years of employment, I know it has forced some employees to look elsewhere even if they may have preferred to stay. Salaries arent everything but when they dont increase much over time and other companies offer, I know people ver the yeara haven't been able to say no.

Advice to Management

Each year the company makes lots of effort to improve life for the people there, keep doing it, its appreciated :)

"Good place to work but not the best for apps"

Current Employee - Senior Android Developer in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Senior Android Developer in Manchester, England

I have been working at BookingGo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great environment, great people to work with. Excellent benefits package. Salary is good

Cons

Old tech - but getting better. App development environment not great, no real focus or drive in the area. Still website focused.

16 Apr 2019 – People Director

Hi thanks for your feedback and rating it really is appreciated. Appreciate your comments on benefits and salary as this is an area we are continually looking at. It can be challenging in a "hot... More

"Amazing for SysAdmins/DevOps"

Current Employee - Engineer in Manchester City Centre, England
    Current Employee - Engineer in Manchester City Centre, England

I have been working at BookingGo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Probably some of the friendliest engineers I've worked with. They're not afraid to have fun and understand the need for a work/life balance. Feels more like a group of friends than colleagues.

- Engineering Leads are fair and relaxed. They're more than happy to dedicate time to sitting with engineers if any support is needed and genuinely care about your career progression.

- Engineers are actively encouraged to develop themselves in company time and provided with the tools and time to do so.

- Engineers are trusted to be responsible adults. Engineering management understands that life is full of obstacles and as long as you get your work done and don't take the proverbial, you'll be given leeway.

Cons

- Office is a little loud/distracting, hopefully this will be remedied when we move to the new office.

- There's a few snowflakes within the company who are prone to raising complaints if their feelings are hurt. Not really the fault of the company and a seemingly more common occurence in the industry, but a con nontheless.

Advice to Management

Make the 'Booking Do It' events an annual event, or maybe do it over the hackathon time. Talk to people face to face. Ask their opinions even if you're just in the lift.

Be more transparent around the most common questions you receive on Slido.

24 Mar 2019 – People Director

Hi thanks for your feedback. The working environment in the new office is very much on our minds at the moment and we have had some great feedback from the engineering team so it is top of the... More

5. "Best company"

I have been working at BookingGo full-time

Pros

Benefits, career progression, free breakfast

Cons

None none none none none

29 Mar 2019 – People Director

"Focus on growth and nothing else. Design upper management is non existent."

I have been working at BookingGo full-time

Pros

Good perks with Booking
    Autonomous working environment

Cons

Focus on money not users
    No design upper management
    Lack of clear direction
    Promotions are extremely difficult

"Makes you feel like a number working here at times"

Current Employee - Ops Night Team in Manchester City Centre, England
    Current Employee - Ops Night Team in Manchester City Centre, England

I have been working at BookingGo full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

location for working is good and colleagues make up the place

Cons

get told by high management that they are looking into increasing night allowance to be competitive with other companies and to stop people wanting to go onto days but then when it comes to april we get a 1% pay increase, Being a long serving member of staff this is very under valuing and makes you wonder giving up your social life working nights for just a little bit extra on salary is worth it, Alot of colleagues share this point and are all constantly on the look to join a new company

Advice to Management

Be straight up with the staff and dont make false hope about making night allowance more to then it be nothing

5 Apr 2019 – People Director

Hi I'm really sorry that you were disappointed by you recent pay review which was actually 1.8%. Our annual review is designed to give everyone a pay rise in line with cost of living and as we have... More

"Pretty fun but technically behind the curve"

Current Employee - Graduate Software Engineer in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Graduate Software Engineer in Manchester, England

I have been working at BookingGo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good opportunities for learning and development

Cons

Misguided technical leadership and decision making, hiring contractors to get the interesting projects done but wildly over engineering to the point of needing to cancel or restart a lot projects. Lots of teams sat around feeling unfulfilled.

I've heard the in-role promotion process is awful, but can't speak for myself, as graduates aren't allowed to apply early (which seems terribly unfair if everybody else can be rewarded for their capabilities)

24 Mar 2019 – People Director

Hiya thanks for your feedback, we really appreciate any feedback good or bad as that is the only way we will improve. I'm not sure which graduate intake you are part of but the grads have a very... More

9. "review of RC.com"

I have been working at BookingGo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun environment
    Company perks - pension, breakfasts, holidays, cinema
    Interesting & exciting challenges every day
    Great environment and friendly colleagues
    Mental health first aiders and courses on professional development - want you to improve

Cons

Misguided technical leadership and decision making
    LT can be extremely unprofessional
    Lack of confidentiality and privacy with HR
    Still has start up mentality but with little thought to out of hours support
    The company need to look at and help employees to progress their career.
    Low salary in exchange for huge workload
    Unfair focus on software not technical engineers
    Some departments don't get enough recognition for hard work.

Advice to Management

Work harder to keep the best employees otherwise the knowledge will walk out and go elsewhere.

Lot of insecurity on integration and role, reassure

Include more engineers in cloud stack, remove unicorns if they leave business

Chaotic but fun environment, keep it fun and don't become too corporate

24 Mar 2019 – People Director

Hi and thanks for your feedback it is appreciated, although clearly some of your comments are a concern to me. Clearly I don't agree about the LT being unprofessional or my team not maintaining... More

10. "customer service"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Manchester, England

I have been working at BookingGo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good working place, nice people there

Cons

high press, sometimes no paid overtime working

24 Mar 2019 – People Director

Thank you for your feedback, appreciated Ryan