Boots Opticians Trainee Optical Consultant Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Find jobs for Trainee Optical Consultant

Boots Opticians Trainee Optical Consultant Reviews

Updated 6 Sep 2019

2.8
Boots Opticians CEO James Arrow  (no image)
James Arrow

"Really great company to start a career with"

Current Employee - Trainee Optical Consultant

I have been working at Boots Opticians full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you want a career and not just another day time job I highly recommend getting a job with boots opticians. Not only do they have many paths you can take but they are serious in regards to their training. The benefits aren't bad either and you won't ever be bored!

Cons

Sometimes the company is a tad bit unorganised but then no company is perfect.

Boots Opticians2018-07-27
  2. "good environment"

I worked at Boots Opticians part-time

Pros

lovely staff great communication and support

Cons

a lot of information to learn

Boots Opticians2019-09-06
  3. "Good Job"

I worked at Boots Opticians full-time for less than a year

Pros

Easy job when you get the hang of it Good pay (£8.50 per hour) Talk to customers/patients on a daily basis Good phone experience and customer service experience

Cons

Can get fast paced No real training (learn on the job) Management can be awful

Boots Opticians2019-06-19
  4. "Very reluctant to provide training"

Former Employee - Trainee Optical Consultant in Watford, East of England, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Boots Opticians part-time for more than a year

Pros

Staff Discounts are very good.

Cons

Very reluctant to provide training ( I received none despite asking multiple times) Everything is done on paper, which makes finding record cards and organising clinics a nightmare. No organisation within the company, head office is incredibly slow at sorting any issues regarding pay or references.

Advice to Management

Provide staff with adequate training.

Boots Opticians2019-06-18
  5. "Recently started working there, the staff are lovely and extremely helpful.. management are ruthless and contradictory."

Current Employee - Trainee Optical Consultant in Basingstoke, England

I have been working at Boots Opticians full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay is alright, work is exciting, patients and staff are friendly.

Cons

Management contradict each other, conflicting jobs and information, no stable structure for prescreening. What you learn from on colleague will be wrong to another colleague and you never shadow the same person so be prepared to continuously have them unsatisfied with the way you learn. Colleagues who have been there the longest seem self inflated and quick tempered, blaming a majority of things on new staff.... Derogatory tones and eye-rolling are extremely common, I don't think you'll make friends here. I'll be moving on as soon as I qualify, disappointed and disheartened..

Boots Opticians2019-05-02
  6. "Work culture is dependent on branch"

I worked at Boots Opticians full-time for less than a year

Pros

Not too hard a job Pay was more than I was expecting for my first ever job Not very intellectually stimulating If you work there 2 years, you can go on a course to become a dispensing optician paid by boots; and if you want to contribute your own money then can top that up to an optimetrist.

Cons

My branch was very racist. The biggest example is someone who joined after me got qualified before me but there were many others. Work is very dependent on your colleagues so can’t really make any generalisations. Also my manager refused to give me a p60 even after 2 years leaving I still haven’t managed to get it as HR said my branch manager should give it to me.

Advice to Management

Teach your employees that racism isn’t ok. Also, a lot of people think it’s ok to do illegal things ie dispense glasses for people with -10 vision without doing the legally required measurements

Boots Opticians2019-04-22
  7. "Optical consultant"

Former Employee - Trainee Optical Consultant in Norwich, England

I worked at Boots Opticians full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Get to learn ALOT straight away - People are fairly nice

Cons

- Was thrown into the deep end in store with NO training - its only until you go to their main branches that you will be trained for a few days at a time. - Expected to know everything straight away as they are such a small store

Advice to Management

- Hire MORE staff at once to help each other whilst you dispense everyone, it is WAY too much for anyone to do the job alone with next to no training!!

Boots Opticians2019-03-09
  8. "Good company to work for"

Trainee Optical Consultant in Royal Leamington Spa, England

I worked at Boots Opticians for less than a year

Pros

Good company to work for Ok pay but not enough for the amount of work you need to do as a trainee Optical Consultant.

Cons

Management isn't that good, could manage the practice better Repetitive job and didn't train me that well so I got bored doing the same thing all the time

Boots Opticians2018-11-20

"No Employee Care"

Current Employee - Trainee Optical Consultant in Folkestone, England

I have been working at Boots Opticians full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay is good and same hours every shift and free training.

Cons

I have only been working within the branch for 1 month and everything has been unorganised since starting. my first day I was expected to pre-screen without any training due to staff illness. I haven't been designated a mentor and feel uncomfortable going to management for help. I recently went on a two day training course to Nottingham which was a long travel but an interesting event and then 4 days later had to... travel to Bristol to take part in a dispensing training course which was at my "local" training hub which was not local and I had to travel past another more local hub to get to that one.

Advice to Management

After experiencing a fainting episode in Bristol whilst training my management was informed but I have received no employee care (I received no calls to ensure I was okay). Since returning back I have been forced to sign off whilst having tests done via the doctors revolving around the episode experienced at the training course yet management have not taken this seriously and have provided their opinion suggesting I... should not take any time off because it was only fainting. Overall feel this should NOT be how management treat staff and strongly suggest management should be taught how to deal with these situations (especially as I do have other medical problems documented on company records)

Boots Opticians2017-12-16

"Trainee Optical Consultant"

Trainee Optical Consultant in London, England

I worked at Boots Opticians for less than a year

Pros

cant think of any

Cons

extremely heavy workload, no training in regards to pre screening expected to know everything from day 1, then expected to be on shop floor when you have 4 clinics to run? and to prepare clinic and file. Then expected to know how to dispense numerous times of my pay being messed up, even asked to transfer previous paycheck due to incorrect amount received ; you get paid monthly?!!

Advice to Management

please train candidates thoroughly, and to invest time not expecting too much from day 1 and online mary gobber doesn't work please have better material for the online learning like proper tests for instance and documents in which you can learn the required material for the job instead of silly gamey type tests

Boots Opticians2017-08-01