Box Reviews

Updated 22 Jun 2020

4.3
Box Co-founder and CEO Aaron Levie
Aaron Levie
Pros
  • "There is a lot of transparency and there is a great culture(in 47 reviews)

• "Great work-life balance and very hands on approach from C-Suite(in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • "There is no 401K matching even though people have been asking for this for years(in 29 reviews)

• "No 401K matching - truly have no other complaints(in 26 reviews)

1. "Great culture, dynamic environment"

Current Employee - Sales in London, England

I have been working at Box full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I've worked at Box for nearly 7 years and have had a chance to experience work in different functions of the go-to-market business. Box has always strived to help employees succeed. Culture has been always in focus, all the way from recruitment to day-to-day interactions between employees. Box is a very dynamic company, a its product and market keep evolving quickly. As such it's a great fit for people who like to learn and build new skills. The sales process requires interaction across all GTM functions, and the Box team are always ready to help each other.

Cons

Not really a con for me, but prior to applying, it's important to realise that this is a fast moving company. A]s such one needs to be ready to challenge themselves to succeed.

"Incredible culture and values has kept me here 7+ years"

Current Employee - Director of Solutions Engineering in London, England

I have been working at Box full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Amazing people from entry-level Boxers to executive team - Collaborative, team-based culture where everyone pulls each other up to success - Fail fast, not afraid to admit mistakes and pivot quickly

Cons

- Stiff competition if you get in the wrong deal cycles

Continue reading

"Every day is a good day @ Box!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Box full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I've been very fortunate to be working at Box for nearly 6 years and in a nutshell working at Box made be love Mondays! I've never left the office feeling relieved to be out of the door, everyday I've had at Box has been a good day even when I've had challenging days. The Box at culture has evolved over the years from when I joined the Box's family in 2014 but I've always held on to our core values "Make Mum Proud!", Take Risk, Fail Fast and GSD whilst adapting to the changing culture as new Boxers join. Apart from my love of the cultural and the wonderful colleagues I've been privileged to have worked with over the years. I have also been exceptionally blessed to have had great managers and regionally leaders supporting, mentoring and championing my efforts and trusting me to take on new challenges with like experience which eventually led to me transitioning to a new and unorthodox career path and for that I will always be truly grateful.

Cons

No one is perfect and there areas for improvement but what is great about Box is we don't shy away from facing up to mistakes and holding ourselves accountable.

"Great solution however very weak senior management in EMEA"

1.0
    Former Employee - Account Executive in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Box full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great solution with a viable place in the market

Cons

- EMEA senior sales management have very little sales experience - Management don't take any responsibility for failings, to quick to blame people on the ground - Evident divide between sales teams and other departments (Marketing, CS, Legal) - Customers are no longer the priority as the egos of EMEA leadership's have taken over - Very poor office culture in EMEA HQ

Box Response

June 11, 2020People Team

Thank you for the feedback. We've been transitioning our EMEA organisation over recent quarters, this is to better align our teams with the opportunity in front of us. We recognize that change is not easy and not for everyone. However, as a result we have seen significant revenue improvements in FY20 vs FY19 and continue to see our business grow. If you have any further feedback, you can always reach out to our EMEA People team who are available to speak confidentially regarding organisational engagement.

"Highly Recommend Avoiding A Career Here"

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in London, England

I worked at Box full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Great benefits including lunch and snacks (not that you can pay your mortgage with mashed potatoes, but still) - Opportunity to travel - Some fun logos as customers - Many people at Box are highly talented and enjoyable to work with

Cons

- Compensation is nowhere near industry or role standard, one of the many reasons a deluge of employees are Elvis'ing right out the building. - Toxic sales culture and because of low performance in-region, bad behaviour is allowed to continue within the business, permeating a sense of disrespect and mistrust. - Constantly repairing other peoples errors due to bad hiring and a lack of care through the sales organisation - Hiring is nonsensical at times and some hires are as confusing as they are quick to roll right back out the revolving door (there used to be a slide, it should have been kept to speed up the exits) - Weak leadership (where there is any) and a constant churn in employees and leaders has not only created a Libyan style power-vacuum but also created a blurry strategy which is impossible to implement. - The biggest con, sadly, is that the "sinking ship" atmosphere led to poor decision making, many people leaving (including not by choice) and a toxic environment and culture. I would think very seriously before considering a career at Box.

"EMEA Leadership Failing"

Former Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in London, England

I worked at Box full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Strong product vision and strategy

Cons

No sales culture or leadership Zero ownership from EMEA Senior Leadership

Continue reading

"Dark outlook | Sinking ship"

1.0

I worked at Box full-time

Pros

- Good product recognised as a leader in many categories - Access to best-of-breed tools - Supportive of diversity and minorities - Good tech-industry perks - Gorgeous office (The teams are shrinking so much that I doubt they’ll be able to keep it for long)

Cons

- At least 4 of the 2020 EMEA Glassdoor reviews are clear Marketing / HR driven posts - They have openly approached managers asking for them! - They don't live the corporate values at all making them simple words, not actions employees are held accountable for - Very unsupportive of diversity of opinion - Sales and leadership seem to be exempt from any rules, being allowed countless behaviours and attitudes other teams would fire for - Too many long tenure employees showing little to no value - Disturbing high levels of gossiping (both among individual contributors and management!) - Very high rates of employee turnover (teams are shrinking very fast and departing employees are not being replaced aside from Sales) - Very high workload due to the above - In general, a very unstable work environment outside of HQ with lack of direction and a clear “brush things under the carpet” attitude

Box Response

June 10, 2020People Team

Thank you for the thoughtful feedback. It is great to hear you recognize that Box is supportive of diversity and minorities, bring your ____ self to work is a value that we live and breath. Whilst there are always areas to improve, during FY20 we saw all time high levels of internal mobility and diversity hiring, we are delighted to see new Boxers across the business thrive in their roles. If you would like to confidentially share your "advice to management comments" with our EMEA People team, we would love to hear your thoughts on how to improve organisational engagement.

"Awesome company to learn and build your resume, but many challenges ahead"

4.0

I worked at Box full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Amazing company culture - work-life balance - people - projects (depending on the teams) - management

Cons

- too many changes in a short time - unclear vision - tough competition

9. "Great culture"

4.0
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Box full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Grest culture with hardworking and friendly colleagues. Great benefits.

Cons

misalignment between teams / departments

10. "Could improve, however.."

I worked at Box full-time

Pros

Gorgeous office. Nice people. If you join the right time, it can be rewarding.

Cons

Compensation below average. No career progression. No remote working. Lack of technically skilled people.

Found 500 reviews