Boxwood Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Boxwood Reviews

Found 16 reviews

3.7
  1. "Hard projects, great results"

Former Employee - Manager in London, England

I worked at Boxwood for more than 3 years

Pros

You get to work at the most senior levels in UK, European and Global organisations. The projects are typically top priority. There are high expectations to deliver amazing results.

Cons

It's hard work and long hours which hurts the work/life balance. Management pushes people to deliver results, sometimes without consideration of ability. It's a growing company in a volatile market. You have to be able to handle risk if you join.

Advice to Management

Keep the big picture in mind and bring the rest of us along for the ride.

Boxwood2015-04-13
  2. "Great work and a great culture but most of all great people"

Current Employee - Director in London, England

I have been working at Boxwood

Pros

Great people. Fantastic, challenging projects anchored at the highest level. A open and non-hierarchical culture. A place with real values and personality.

Cons

Being in a small company sometimes demands a level of flexibility, creativity and bravery that is not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Protect the integrity of the employee proposition, invest more in systems and knowledge to harvest the IP gained from such great work and; keep finding and hiring great people. Keep growing but keep it fun.

Boxwood2015-04-13

"Great people, clients and projects"

I have been working at Boxwood

Pros

I joined Boxwood from a large consultancy and I'm so glad I made the move. Passionate leadership, engaged colleagues and a really good mix of projects makes Boxwood a great place to work.

Cons

The challenge of being with a smaller consultancy is that you need to be more flexible with projects. You cannot specialise to the same extent, but the flip side is you're not pigeonholed and have opportunities that you wouldn't get at a large firm

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and continue to bring in the great projects.

Boxwood2015-03-09

"Great opportunities with a team of talented, fun individuals"

Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Boxwood full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Many interesting projects and opportunities. The employees also have diverse experience and often provides new insights to solving problems. As a smaller company, it is also more able to support and realise individual career aspirations as well as invest in social events where colleagues can relax and get to know each other better.

Cons

As it is a smaller company, there are less IP from similar, past engagements to utilise and build upon.

Boxwood2015-02-03
  5. "Good colleagues and interesting work but lack of cohesive management"

Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Boxwood full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The projects sold and delivered by the company are very interesting and give a good opportunity for development People employed have a go-get attitude and are interesting to work with

Cons

Boxwoods management does not act as a coherent team which impact the implementation of the strategy There is a coaching mechanism in place but it still feels like the management has little interest in the people working for the company

Boxwood2014-11-29
  6. "Boxwood has opportunities: you can get as much out of it as you want, both in terms of your career and socially"

Current Employee -

I have been working at Boxwood full-time

Pros

As a smaller company it is non-hierarchical which means that if you have any ideas for the company or a on project you will be heard and can make a difference. There is also the opportunity to be part of interesting transformation projects in a number of different sectors, so there is no lack of variety or challenge. Everyone at Boxwood has a career coach to help set your personal learning and promotion goals. The...

Cons

It is a smaller company and this does not suit everyone. There aren't set rules and procedures for everything, when big deadlines are coming up the team works hard and people off project help out and working life is not always predictable.

Boxwood2014-02-16
  7. "Two years with Boxwood"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Boxwood full-time for more than a year

Pros

A company that gives me a lot of autonomy to play to my strengths on very strategic projects for clients. Sometimes it is hard work but the achievements and the learnings have always been worth doing.

Cons

It is a small company – so have to accept that not all processes and knowledge are formalised. But it is better than a big machine in my eyes.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on transformation projects that are strategic for the CEOs of the companies we work for. That’s what we’ve always done, that’s where we are good at and first class projects are the only ones worth investing our resources in.

Boxwood2014-01-29
  8. "Excellent place to grow your transformation skills"

I worked at Boxwood full-time

Pros

Great exposure to corporate transformation, notably in building and selling the business case for change, and going on to help the client delivery the benefits. Exposure to multiple sectors, each with their own transformation challenges. Experienced, dedicated, supportive personable and interesting colleagues.

Cons

Like other consulting companies I have worked for, I have had to: work out-of-town, work long hours, cope with significant ambiguity, deal with challenging individuals, deliver against high expectations and meet short deadlines.

Advice to Management

Increase the leverage the knowledge built on client engagements.

Boxwood2014-01-21

"Very poor management and leadership with no direction."

I worked at Boxwood full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people - however most of these have now left or are trying to leave. Had a lot of potential to be a fantastic company but unfortunately there has been very poor leadership which has resulted in poor morale and very high staff turnover. Good success rate in MCA Awards.

Cons

Very poor management. Failed to take on board or believe feedback given by the majority of the company. Poor career development. Many catastrophic projects.

Advice to Management

Recruit people who will work well in a traditional, militaristic, hierarchical style of working and will take orders and not challenge.

Boxwood2014-02-03

"Disappointing!"

Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Boxwood full-time

Pros

Some great, really smart people. When things are good, there are lots of company events. Some really interesting and exciting projects.

Cons

Poor behaviours at the exec level. Unclear strategy for the company. Culture has become too deferential to 'rank', which may be the result a large number of ex military personnel. Too top heavy with respect to the. Number of directors and back office staff. Promotion is a black art.

Advice to Management

The same rules that apply tour clients must apply to us! You need to role model the right behaviours. Many of your employees have more real world / consulting experience then you, so listen to them. Be more open to change and new ideas.

Boxwood2013-10-20