Brandwatch Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 11 May 2018

4.0
Brandwatch CEO Giles Palmer (no image)
Giles Palmer
Pros
  • "Living in Brighton, my work-life balance is excellent(in 18 reviews)

• "In the Brighton office you often start at the same time as a couple of others which is helpful(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "Having to go to team meetings in Brighton, but never came to London(in 11 reviews)

• "All in all, compared to other companies with similar success stories, Brandwatch has done a good job at keeping these growing pains to a minimum(in 6 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brighton, England

I have been working at Brandwatch full-time

Pros

• Interesting range of clients (including lots of big name brands) which are fun and challenging projects to work with • Good accountability as a team of colleagues. We do what we say we will do. I feel that we have common values and goals in our work. • Opportunities to put yourself forward to get involved in cross-company projects, and move across departments or roles • A powerful product and an established market leader in the Social Listening space. Regularly bring out new product features to benefit our clients. • Meetings are capped to 30mins or 1 hour (this is partly due to demand of the meeting rooms – but this is good compared to former workplaces where meetings drag on unnecessarily!) • Very good IT and tools/systems to collaborate internationally. Monthly global meeting where we hear from leadership and colleagues. • Pat is a really good leader of Customer Success (the part of the organisation that I’m in) with many female leaders. A motivating team to be part of. • Great location of the office with discounts at local cafes, free pastries on Fridays, free fruit, good coffee etc • Nice office with standing desks if you want to request one • New people are made to feel welcome and valued. In the Brighton office you often start at the same time as a couple of others which is helpful. • Good work/life balance. Almost always leave on time at 5:30.

Cons

• I would like there to be more healthcare perks (e.g. dental, optical and health insurance) • No salary ranges on job ads and this is only discussed later in the application process. I still have no idea how my salary compares to other people in equivalent/ similar roles. • Regular changes of internal structures and processes. While it’s good to be agile and responsive, this can also have negative impacts on people’s roles and on clients. • As with many SaaS products, there is room for improvement in customer journey and enabling clients to get the most out of the platform • This one is more about the market than BW as a workplace. The product, like any Social Listening product, relies quite heavily on data coverage (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook etc). There are external threats (such as consumer privacy concerns, legislation) which might mean this data becomes less readily available, and impact the value of social listening to businesses. Brandwatch and others need to be aware of this and not place too much risk on 1 or 2 channel providers.

Brandwatch2018-05-11

"Supercharged my career"

Current Employee - Vice President Engineering in Brighton, England

I have been working at Brandwatch full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I've been able to do about 10 years of career growth in half the time. Plenty of opportunity within the company if you are intelligent, hard-working and able to work well with others. Living in Brighton, my work-life balance is excellent. The company is very flexible with working from home arrangements and start/end times. Just talk to your manager. My colleagues are smart, inspiring and I learn a lot from them. I still feel like I am making a significant difference in my day-to-day work. I am excited about the future of our company and this market.

Cons

Raw salary is less than equivalent work in London, but there are other benefits for high performing staff. I was here over the initial fast growth period and was therefore able to grow into more senior positions as they were created. That is harder for newer recruits. As an engineer, the software is not the kind of stuff I use myself, so it's harder to understand the users that we build for.

Brandwatch2018-05-03

"Genuinely great place to work"

Current Employee - Java Developer in Brighton, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Brandwatch full-time for more than a year

Pros

Open, honest and supportive culture. Teams and individuals are given a lot of freedom to work in whatever way best suits them. Great work-life balance. Management understands that stress and overworking people is bad for productivity in the long run. Surrounded by talented and intelligent people who are always happy to help Great set of benefits (top notch coffee machine, great selection of free drinks and snacks, massages) Good opportunities for developing technical skills (reading groups, tech talks, 10% of time can be spent on personal development)

Cons

Pay isn't competitive (for developers, at least) There's some politics that goes on at higher levels and in other department.

Brandwatch2017-10-19

"The Good Life"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brighton, England

I have been working at Brandwatch full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great work / life balance; arrive on-time in the morning, leave on time at the end of the day. - Great company culture; games and other fun stuff to do whilst at and out of work. - Amazing place to develop your skills in whatever discipline you work in. - Possibility of progression seems healthy. - Salary is reasonable - Some lovely perks; free food, massages, juicebar and pastries. Whilst I could not say the job is perfect, in the real world this seems about as good as it gets. It's a genuinely fun and stimulating place to be, as well as a good place to develop a career.

Cons

With that said, the product is not as polished as it could be which can cause frustrations to filter down.

Brandwatch2017-04-26

"It's not for everybody. It's what you make of it. But worth it, if you can survive."

User Experience Designer in Brighton, England

I worked at Brandwatch for more than a year

Pros

Brandwatch is very very tough. The expectation, the pressure, the ambition. It can make your career if you know how to navigate the complexity, and don't take it all too personally - which at times is challenging. The people - they mostly hire amazing, lovely, ambitious people. The location - the office, where it's situated. It's all so lovely and bright and modern. The work life balance - it's not perfect, but I found they came down on the side of generosity when one needed help. The ambition - they're dreaming big. It's exciting and intoxicating. The vision - we didn't always get product and design right, but we cared, and we tried to take bigger risks than most.

Cons

The growth - a nice complaint to have is the rate of growth. New customers and new employees bring new issues. This has an impact on feelings of stability and common understanding. The ambition - getting from where we are to the future is often unclear. That's not unique to Brandwatch, but they have as-yet unresolved problems with delivering on that ambition. The vision - great at coming up with the big ideas - not the best at identifying winners and getting them to market as quickly as possible. In my opinion, this frequently come down to a lack of support -often for purely political reasons- from that influential minority within engineering. The processes - Agile is misunderstood and abused. Again, nothing unique to Brandwatch, but it has repercussions. The stress - we could do a much better job to manage the stress, and turn it to pressure, by building trust The macho culture - there's too many big male egos at those high levels. The CEO is a genuinely nice thoughtful, and at times, visionary person, but can be inconsistent, contradictory and extremely difficult to manage. Engineering can be really cut-throat. The political machinations of middle-managers is toxic ad stressful, compared to other divisions. This is the primary reason I left, which I very much did not want to do, but I clearly understood I could not affect any positive change at that time.

Brandwatch2017-02-08

"Forward-thinking, flexible & fun"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Brighton, England

I worked at Brandwatch full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Inclusive environment Multicultural Challenging Rewarding Excellent perks (table tennis, fusball, drinks, events, parties, spontaneous rewards and activities) Work life balance is on point Perfect location - most historic, beautiful part of Brighton and close enough to the coast for lunch-time sea swimming club in the summer

Cons

American counterparts can sometimes feel segregated but the management do their best to ensure they are included in all launches/events/social activities

Brandwatch2016-10-11

"Brandwatch is the best job I've ever had"

in New York, NY

I have been working at Brandwatch for more than 3 years

Pros

Working at Brandwatch nearly three years, I've seen the company grow and change considerably. That is simply what startups/scaleups do. I truly believe that any perceived or actual "cons" about working here are outweighed by huge positives. Work/life balance is highly valued, there is a culture of ambition and hard work, and individual opinions are listened to and addressed regardless of experience, title, or length of employment. Career development is there for the taking, which isn't the view of everyone here. Working for a young company that is not solely process-driven means that if you want your career to develop you have to be proactive and enthusiastic about it. And your manager has to do the same. There are plenty of opportunities to seek out, but it involves leg work. I think that's what separates the real "Brandwatchers" from those that expect things handed to them. An entrepreneurial spirit is mandatory for success anywhere, especially here. People really care, from the HR manager in New York (wonderful!) to the "veterans" that have been here since the office had just 25 people. People are willing to help and pitch in no matter what - from interns to C-suite executives. There is palpable drive, progress, diligence, and energy. Other perks: Plenty of snacks, catered meals, happy hours, unique bonding experiences (field days, holiday parties, themed gatherings i.e. Running of the Bulls party, Olympics watching, and so much more). Internal wellness and social committees have brought us massages, healthier Friday breakfasts, and more. Good benefits for New York City. Great location in Flatiron. Access to senior leadership, opportunities to get involved in different areas of the company. Hard work is valued. Flexibility to work home if need be, support for physical fitness and external hobbies, and a general sense of camaraderie.

Cons

The work day can move in the "too fun" realm with such a young staff. Senior leadership and middle management can do more to create an environment with a little more rigor. New York seems to have a more jovial, friendly, and diligent atmosphere compared to HQ in Brighton. (Warning: not really a con) Aggressive growth goals and ambition can be challenging. If you're not being challenged, you're not growing.

Brandwatch2016-09-07

"Change isn't always for the better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Brandwatch full-time

Pros

The huge pro for Brandwatch is and always has been the people. The team/colleagues are amazing to work with and very supportive. Compared to major corporations the work/life balance is great yet we are all still challenged frequently.

Cons

Over the last year, Brandwatch has decided to try and implement a set of processes that aren't necessarily for the best. While some are great, the changes that have to do with pay reviews are leaving employees dissatisfied and less and less motivated to do their jobs happily. We are all now essentially in competition with one another for raises which is really unfortunate. Brandwatch used to be about putting the employees first but we are moving further away from that mentality with each day that passes. Different offices have more leniency and the NY office isn't one of them.

Brandwatch2014-11-23

"Great company, great people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Brandwatch full-time

Pros

Work/life balance is good. While we all typically stay past the 5:30 end-of-day hour, it still feels doable by NYC standards. The people are truly what make this place great, we all enjoy spending time with each other on the clock and off the clock. Bagel & beer Fridays don't hurt either. The work itself is awesome, the product is great and customers generally seem very happy!

Cons

"No walls" work environment - everyone is out in the open together which can make calls with clients a bit tricky. No one will hold your hand which is good and bad, so you can't be afraid to speak up and ask questions around here.

Brandwatch2013-11-19

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 9 reviews