British Gas Data Analyst Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

British Gas Managing Director Mark Hodges
Mark Hodges

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Stupidly poor work/life balance for those in a call center roll (in 14 reviews)

• Disputes within senior management (in 18 reviews)

1. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Data Analyst in Leeds, England
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in Leeds, England

I worked at British Gas full-time

Pros

Good development opportunities, flexible hours inc.home working, continuous improvement culture, friendly colleagues, office facilities managed well, car share and visitor parking, free fruit, free massages, on site concierge, lots of charity and social events, great benefits package.

Cons

Pay inconsistencies across business/different offices, almost yearly restructures in ops, poor communication between different business areas, office could do with an update/decorating

Advice to Management

There needs to be a balance to retaining talent in mid-level roles vs restructure. Renaming a role and recruiting at a lower wage may cost more in the long run

"Lack of direction, support and general motivation"

Former Employee - Data Analyst in Leicester, England
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in Leicester, England

I worked at British Gas full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere
    Good additional benefits
    Some flexibility with the option to work from home
    Decent working hours
    Bonuses

Cons

Lack of direction was clear from the moment I joined. Throughout my time at BG I have had little understanding of the direction we was heading and little impact to the organisation.
    No objectives given at the beginning of each quarter - on quarterly review it was then a case of 'what have you done and we will use this as your objectives for the quarter'.

Teams are unwilling to support, provide data and scripts in order to complete tasks, thus leading to unnecessary delays.

Constant restructures and redundancies.

Advice to Management

Provide clearer direction to enable employees to collaboratively work together and not against one another.

3. "Great Environment, some areas need improvement"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Leicester, England
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Leicester, England

I have been working at British Gas full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere is great and the staff are pretty much all really easy to talk to and work with. If you have potential and work hard you are rewarded and recognised for your efforts, which is refreshing. Being full time gives you flexibility with work hours/locations and there are plenty of opportunities for business networking. Upper-managerial staff communicate regularly with their staff and pay attention to the requests and concerns of their employees.

Cons

Open plan offices are horribly noisy, and with teams spread across sites it's awfully hard to get everyone in the same room, or on a quiet teleconference. The food and drink on sale in the staff canteen is massively overpriced and not very good quality. Diversity awareness training is dated and heterosexist, focuses almost entirely on race and physical disability.

Advice to Management

Get DMU in to administer Diversity, Discrimination & Ethics training that actually covers the myriad of things that people should be aware of instead of just a few incorrectly discussed buzzwords. Consider finding a better Information Systems team - the company we use currently is overpriced and ineffective.