British Gas Gas Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

British Gas Managing Director Mark Hodges
Mark Hodges

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Stupidly poor work/life balance for those in a call center roll (in 12 reviews)

• Disputes within senior management (in 16 reviews)

1. "Gas"

Current Employee - Gas Engineer in Cardiff, Wales
    Current Employee - Gas Engineer in Cardiff, Wales

I have been working at British Gas full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A great salary and opportunities

Cons

can be Long wokring hours

"Sales, Sales, Sales!!!"

Current Employee - Technical Gas Engineer in Whitley Bay, England
    Current Employee - Technical Gas Engineer in Whitley Bay, England

I have been working at British Gas full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good salary, good benefits... (Qdos) good shifts in the summer, horrendous in the winter, some good engineers work here. Struggling to find anymore pros

Cons

British Gas are only interested in sales, as soon as you get into a customers house they expect you to flog something, preferably a Hive. It's sales 1st then repair the appliance 2nd. Obviously some customers have had enough with 400k leaving in the first 6 months of this year. It's not just the customers who have had enough though, the bully boy techniques and micromanagement have taken a toll on the work force too, as many engineers have left this year (including myself at the end of the year) the GMB union don't care and don't do anything, too much in BG's pocket.
    It's a well paid job but simply isn't worth the stress. Such a shame as it used to be a great place to work. Now it's just toxic. Counting down the days to when I leave.

Advice to Management

Stop with the micromanagement, treat employees as people and not money making drones. Communication is very poor, morale rock bottom, the management don't realise as they are so out of touch. Greedy shareholders are ruining BG and it's brand.

"Gas Engineer"

Former Employee - Gas Engineer
    Former Employee - Gas Engineer

I worked at British Gas full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Summer Hours, Pay, Sharesave scheme

Cons

Micro-Management, Heavily tracked van, Poor Leadership from Service managers, Sales Driven engineers looked upon better than Good repair engineers, Losing high volumes of contracts

Advice to Management

Listen more to engineers,

"16 Years service, More like thieving Gas"

Former Employee - Technical Gas Engineer in Birmingham, England
    Former Employee - Technical Gas Engineer in Birmingham, England

I worked at British Gas full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

3 and 4 day weeks in Summer
    Good fellow gas engineers willing to support each other
    Sharescheme (not very good anymore share price not really risen in past few years)
    Pension ( which recently cut by approx 30%)

Cons

Bullying
    No Respect
    Union GMB have no backbone seem to be in the back pocket of BG, and when questioned seem to forget who pays for them they should be serving the employees Not BG
    Forced to Sell
    Miss Selling encouraged by Management
    Want you to sell not Fix Boilers
    Micro managing
    Dispatchers moved to India and not trained properly
    Good engineers leaving or Pushed out and not being replaced.
    Poor Morale at company
    Management hound engineers when expensive parts need to be replaced on Boiler
    Losing Customer due arrogance of Company

Advice to Management

What once was a great company to work for and be a customer is a shadow of former self. Losing customers in the thousands,

"Technical Engineer"

Current Employee - Gas Engineer in Mitcham, England
    Current Employee - Gas Engineer in Mitcham, England

Pros

Holiday Pay.
    Sharesave.
    Dependant leave.
    28 hours in summer though all over the place.

Cons

-Cant use your holiday when you want to unless your a service engineer only, if you dont do breakdowns you can have time off when ever you want, unfair really.
    -Use dependants leave and your made to feel bad/guilty for taking a day off to sort out care (my young baby boy in my situation)
    - OT dependant on how busy your patch is, if you work on a quiet area, good luck getting any additional pay
    - We are repair men/women. we dont mind giving the best honest advice for the customer but do not apple preassure/hard sales when you would rather us sell a boiler than fix it.
    - Working on boilers that no other firm would touch, mainly the rubbish. (ferrolli/heatline/ravenheat)

Advice to Management

Start making us enjoy our job in S&R, stop forcing us to take on rubbish boilers then moan at us when months later it needs a £500 heat exchanger or £300 PCB. The majority of us do a hard days work and stop micro managing us and let us do what were good at and enjoy, fixing boilers (ideally decent ones)

7. "Benefits"

Current Employee - Gas Engineer in Aylesbury, England
    Current Employee - Gas Engineer in Aylesbury, England

I have been working at British Gas full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good hours during summer and rest days which is really good it give you time to spend with your family

Cons

To much paper work before to start work very slow 3G so uploading takes to long. Which in turn reduces productivity

Advice to Management

To much paper work

"treating customers in a way i wanted to be treated was fantastic as an engineer"

Current Employee - Gas Engineer in Scarborough, England
    Current Employee - Gas Engineer in Scarborough, England

I have been working at British Gas full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

the benefits of being out on the road and meeting new people each day was rewarding. Meeting and helping OAP's who would have struggled with no heat or hot water was a nice feeling

Cons

Work life balance is always going to be a challenge in this job because of the hectic schedule. Managers who dont understand the work involved will always put a downer on things but the way to think about it, is to remember that i am more qualified than them and i will be here longer!

Advice to Management

Remember the customer