British Gas Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 16 October 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Stupidly poor work/life balance for those in a call center roll (in 12 reviews)

• Disputes within senior management (in 16 reviews)

"Customer Service"

Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Edinburgh, Scotland

I worked at British Gas full-time

Pros

Good system for looking after their employees during times of strife.

Cons

Difficult targets to meet. Under constant supervision from ofgem.

Advice to Management

tricky place to progress, they tend to keep clever people back.

"Customer Service Advisor"

Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Manchester, England

I worked at British Gas full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent salary with achievable targets and good bonuses. Friendly atmosphere with lots of people willing to share knowledge and advice.

Cons

Make sure no one dies or you don't move house during 12 weeks of training. They are not accomodating for things like this. You may miss out of another game of charades or pin the tail on the donkey in training.
    10 Year waiting list for a parking space.
    Over priced canteen.
    Floor walkers need to help more..

Advice to Management

Training needs to focus more on the job at hand and less team building excercises.
    More compassion needed, people have lives outside of work too.

"Big"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Uddingston, Scotland
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Uddingston, Scotland

I have been working at British Gas full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great brand recognition and huge scale for progression and upwards mobility. Lots of offices and generally very flexible as an employer. Pay is generally good.

Cons

Not growing and therefore constantly at risk of re-organisation. Strong negative staff feeling over the previous five years. Reducing benefits and difficulty in the sector.

Advice to Management

Need to work on developing relationships with staff as they are at an all time low. Employee benefits and above average pay increases would be a strong way to show this.

5. "Admin assistant"

Former Employee - Sales Operations Administrator in Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England

I worked at British Gas full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, great team. Loved the job, and would recommend. Really felt like was in it to win as a team.

Cons

Although loved my job - once learnt I felt like nothing more would be taught - so unfortunately I felt I had to seek promotion elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Encourage your team to develop.

"British Gas is changing"

Current Employee - Team Manager
    Current Employee - Team Manager

I have been working at British Gas full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Worked here 6 years and when I started it was a great place to work. It's still a good job and work with some great people. Decent pay for the role I do and hours currently work for me on a fixed shift pattern. Never boring as there is always change and this is mostly for the good of the business and customer. However, the communication of the changes leave a lot to be desired.
    Decent benefits and good opportunity if you are willing to work for it.

Cons

The last 18 months have been difficult. British Gas is a company in trouble and losing customers. Been through a management restructure that was dealt with unfairly and now face changes to T&C' s, working hours and pay that will impact work/life balance for most of the staff. Overall leadership is unclear with little in the way of direction or strategy. I fear things will get worse before they improve at the moment. Systems and processes can be stressfull.

Advice to Management

Understand the impacts of business decisions on your staff. Communicate clearly. Spend more time on the front line to understand staff & customer issues.

7. "."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sheffield, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sheffield, England

I have been working at British Gas full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Rarely work weekends. Some decent staff

Cons

Got to be in the gang to get anywhere

Advice to Management

"Good Pay For Call Centre Work - Internal Recruitment 'iffy'"

Former Employee - Retention Advisor in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Former Employee - Retention Advisor in Edinburgh, Scotland

I worked at British Gas full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good rate of pay for call centre positions. When I worked there we also had free fruit, desk massages each month and good incentives for extra hours or sales/taking payments.

Cons

I worked at BG after redundancy and had many years of marketing experience. Despite various internal interviews for positions in the BG Marketing team it soon became clear that internal recruitment is not 'open and honest', or based on ability. Interview feedback wasn't honest, and when challenged they couldn't back-up many of the comments, which spoke volumes. As a result I left the company, but I did enjoy the 18 months that I spent in the call centre environment and I'm still in touch with several former colleagues.

Advice to Management

I think that it's very hard to sort out internal recruitment. Short of allowing unbiased third parties to sit-in at all stages of the process (union or agency?) it will never change.

"Not what it was..."

Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Cardiff, Wales
    Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Cardiff, Wales

I have been working at British Gas full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing Colleagues
    Good Salary for the role and level
    Good Benefits Package

Cons

Company perceived as old, expensive and outdtaed
    Managment out of touch with reality of lower level roles
    Forced to book holiday time over a year in advance
    Stupidly poor work/life balance for those in a call center roll

Advice to Management

Stop trying to change what isnt broken, stop trying to hold staff pay rises to ransom by blackmailing them with forced contract changes.

"Gas Engineer"

Former Employee - Gas Engineer
    Former Employee - Gas Engineer

I worked at British Gas full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Summer Hours, Pay, Sharesave scheme

Cons

Micro-Management, Heavily tracked van, Poor Leadership from Service managers, Sales Driven engineers looked upon better than Good repair engineers, Losing high volumes of contracts

Advice to Management

Listen more to engineers,

"Not a great company to work for"

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at British Gas part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

some nice work colleagues, benefits ok but could be better

Cons

poor management,lazy staff, no flexibility for work life balance, favouritism by TL'S which allows certain staff to do nothing when they should be working by falsifying stats and manipulating work schedules to benefit themselves, career opportunities should be based on your performance not if your friends with your manager which is happening right now. your no longer the leader in offering a good salary lidl and aldi offer far better incentives, trying to get a holiday is a joke, trying to make you work till 10pm and work a sunday as well we are a company open 24 hours 365 days a year general hours between 8am-8pm is more than suitable without trying to fleece your customers longer

Advice to Management

Take a long hard look at yourself, you are the problem with this company try doing a fair days graft then you'll know what front line staff deal with on a day to day basis spend more time dealing with the lazy sods who bring or contribute nothing to the company but see it only as a skive by manipulating the system but most importantly stop saying its all for the customer your doing nothing but rip customers off