British Gas Team Manager Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

British Gas Managing Director Mark Hodges
Mark Hodges

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Stupidly poor work/life balance for those in a call center roll (in 12 reviews)

• Disputes within senior management (in 16 reviews)

"Manchester"

Current Employee - Team Manager in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Team Manager in Manchester, England

I have been working at British Gas full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits!!!! From cars, gadgets, health/dental cover to vouchers, shares and great pension! If you pay the higher amount to your pension you get the higher amount in benefits to spend (plus after 2 years at paying the higher amount Centrica double your contribution!)

Cons

Managers lost QDOS 2 years ago ! They still are in no rush to replace it.... As normal expect more for less !

Advice to Management

Reward your managers as we might drive better "numbers". All we hear is, what is it the new guy saying to UK Home ? "Hit your numbers". We say "reward your managers".

"British Gas is changing"

Current Employee - Team Manager
    Current Employee - Team Manager

I have been working at British Gas full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Worked here 6 years and when I started it was a great place to work. It's still a good job and work with some great people. Decent pay for the role I do and hours currently work for me on a fixed shift pattern. Never boring as there is always change and this is mostly for the good of the business and customer. However, the communication of the changes leave a lot to be desired.
    Decent benefits and good opportunity if you are willing to work for it.

Cons

The last 18 months have been difficult. British Gas is a company in trouble and losing customers. Been through a management restructure that was dealt with unfairly and now face changes to T&C' s, working hours and pay that will impact work/life balance for most of the staff. Overall leadership is unclear with little in the way of direction or strategy. I fear things will get worse before they improve at the moment. Systems and processes can be stressfull.

Advice to Management

Understand the impacts of business decisions on your staff. Communicate clearly. Spend more time on the front line to understand staff & customer issues.

"Team Manager"

Former Employee - Team Manager in Uddingston, Scotland
    Former Employee - Team Manager in Uddingston, Scotland

Pros

Reasonable company benefits. Is aware of some of the key issues and is trying to resolve some of them. Issue is just too slow For Such A Large And Important Company.

Cons

Jobs for the boys culture. Behind the times. Extremely poor senior management support. Took exception to anyone that dared jump into their domain. For such a big company they are way behind other blue chip organisations. Overall moral amongst staff very poor.

Advice to Management

Your staff need consistency, support, encouragement, and fairness as well as transparency. Without good staff your own positions become untenable never forget that. Sad to say one of the worst companies I have ever worked for and this mainly down to the Senior management.

5. "I have the ability to make a difference every day"

Current Employee - Team Manager in Cardiff, Wales
    Current Employee - Team Manager in Cardiff, Wales

I have been working at British Gas full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I am empowered to make the best of myself, the teams and the company every day, the company want to invest in me from a development perspective and offer some awesome perks too. Our policy's support people in an incredible way and from a wellbeing perspective we are streets ahead of other leading companies. I have worked for BG for 15 years and would not want to work anywhere else.

Cons

The rapid change can be a challenge but this then becomes part of the moulding to being an ambassador for BG. Sometimes the company gives 'too much'.

Advice to Management

Take more risks and avoid politics.