British Heart Foundation Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

British Heart Foundation Chief Executive Simon Gillespie
Simon Gillespie

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "too many volunteers and not enough paid staff" (in 13 reviews)

• "Co-workers (stockroom assistants) would break items on purpose if they couldn't be bothered to take them up to the shop floor" (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best place I've ever worked"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Wolverhampton, England
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Wolverhampton, England

I have been working at British Heart Foundation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Meeting lots of lovely People, great working environment, never a dull moment, very supportive management

Cons

No complaints from me, very happy to be here

Advice to Management

Thank you !

30 Jul 2018 – Recruitment Partner

Hi, thank you so much for your feedback. It is good to see you love working as part of a team that makes a life-saving difference, and that you particularly enjoy the working environment. We thank... More

2. "Dynamic and Challenging"

I have been working at British Heart Foundation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The BHF is always changing which create a dynamic and challenging environment in all the right ways! You get to own your work and set expectations.

Cons

As you would expect within a charity the staffing model is lean, but don't let that put you off.

3 Oct 2018 – Recruitment Partner

Hi, thank you so much for your lovely review. It is great to hear that you feel challenged in your role and enjoy the autonomy that is provided. We wish you continued success with us!

3. "Retail Assistant"

Former Employee - Retail Assistant in London, England
    Former Employee - Retail Assistant in London, England

I worked at British Heart Foundation part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly and approachable staff. Various roles to gain experience in.

Cons

Needs more recognition on adverts and leaflets so that more customers can donate.

4. "Sales assistant"

Pros

Friendly colleagues
    Lovely customers
    Fun working environment

Cons

There are not really any cons.

5. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Area Manager
    Current Employee - Area Manager

I have been working at British Heart Foundation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Health and well-being is #1 focus. Employees are looked after with great duty of care and supported when they need it most.

Cons

They are not cons but just something to be aware of as the perception is often the total opposite of this: hard work, high targets, short staffed almost always.

Advice to Management

Continue to empower and listen to your staff. They have some fantastic ideas

6. "Hand on heart, the best place I've worked!"

Current Employee - Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Manager in London, England

I have been working at British Heart Foundation part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with such wonderfully gifted and enthusiastic people. Everyone who works here seems to have a genuine commitment to making a difference for our cause and desire to do the best work towards it. There are great opportunities if you want them to get involved in a variety of activities and effort by leaders to make this a great organization to work for. It is an ambitious, inclusive and caring organization, offering you the chance to shape it and have your say. I've really been able to make a difference to the organization and have had great support from my manager.

Cons

Very few cons I can think of. If you are looking to make your millions this is not the place and neither should it be, but if you are looking to have a rewarding career and know you are working for a greater cause, you can't go far wrong. Anything that needs attention is getting it so I have optimism it will continue to just get better.

11 Sep 2018 – Recruitment Partner

Hi, thank you so much for your fab feedback! It is good to see you love working as part of a team that makes a life-saving difference, and that you particularly enjoy the people and all of the... More

7. "Volunteer"

I have been working at British Heart Foundation part-time

Pros

Friendly place to volunteer,
    25% Employee discount
    Nvq person comes out fortnightly for those wanting to gain nvqs whilst being there.

Cons

Sometimes there's too many volunteers and other days they can be struggling for staff

3 Sep 2018

Hi thank you for your review . We love to hear from our volunteers and it was great to read your comments.
    Jo
    Volunteering Team

"Great Culture!"

Current Employee - Senior Director in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Director in London, England

I have been working at British Heart Foundation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is the best place I have ever worked! I really enjoy working with such great, enthusiastic and talented people! The BHF is doing some really interesting things, investing more in its work and conversely in it's people with new digital tools and new technologies like Workday - always trying to improve itself and do better. This makes for a friendly and warm place to work where people can be themselves, are listened to and where the Values are very strong. People matter here!

Cons

I cannot think of a downside, it really is a great place to work with an open culture!

Advice to Management

Keep living the values and being open and transparent and engaging.

3 Oct 2018 – Recruitment Partner

Hi, thank you so much for your review and feedback. It is great to hear that you really enjoying the working environment, the exciting projects and open culture! It is also great that cannot think... More

9. "Guidance."

Current Employee - Volunteer in Perth, Scotland
    Current Employee - Volunteer in Perth, Scotland

I have been working at British Heart Foundation part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a very homey place to volunteer, my nervousness is slowly slipping away, thanks to the manager.

Cons

So far, I have none.

3 Sep 2018

Thank you for your feedback we really do love to hear from our amazing volunteers!

Jo
    Volunteering Team

10. "Management Great , Co-workers not so much"

Former Employee - Stockroom Assistant in Leicester, England
    Former Employee - Stockroom Assistant in Leicester, England

I worked at British Heart Foundation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great management.
    Great for work experience.

Cons

Co-workers played around too much.
    Co-workers (stockroom assistants) would break items on purpose if they couldn't be bothered to take them up to the shop floor. Wasting money.

Advice to Management

Look out for your stockroom assistants as they play around too much.

e.g. throwing/breaking items, disrespecting others and their families.

11 Sep 2018 – Recruitment Partner

Hi, thank you so much for your feedback. It is good to see that you gained good work experience and skills whilst working for us. With regards to the other points you have raised, we will ensure they... More