British Heart Foundation Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.9
  1. "Pressured"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Whitby, England

I have been working at British Heart Foundation full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good experience working with volunteers

Cons

High pressure weekly and monthly targets

Advice to Management

Check out. Staffing levels

British Heart Foundation2019-05-28
  2. "good company to work with"

Current Employee - Electrical Testing in London, England

I have been working at British Heart Foundation part-time for less than a year

Pros

easy job and you will have a %15 discount

Cons

nothing really to say about it

British Heart Foundation2019-04-25

"British Heartless Foundation"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ashton-under-Lyne, England

I worked at British Heart Foundation part-time for less than a year

Pros

Helping a good cause. You get to see really interesting donations/items.

Cons

If you have any sort of mental health problems, do not work for this company. There is alot of ignorance amongst staff (especially management) and the company will do nothing to help you. This is a company that is still in the dark ages when it comes to mental health among their workers. I would not recommend working here.

Advice to Management

I think all paid staff (especially managers) should have to take part in sensitivity training. I think the ignorance and judgment towards people with mental illness is disgusting.

British Heart Foundation2019-05-18
  4. "Modern, commercial charity"

Current Employee - People & Organizational Development in London, England

I have been working at British Heart Foundation full-time for more than a year

Pros

- work life balance - friendly - good company culture - invested in training staff - great benefits and generous annual leave of 30 days for head office - modern head office

Cons

- need more internal succession

British Heart Foundation2019-04-10
  5. "Overall a good place to work"

Former Employee - Human Resources Advisor in London, England

I worked at British Heart Foundation full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Generally a great bunch of people. Plenty of opportunity to get involved in projects outside your remit and contribute to the cause.

Cons

Rapid change challenged some old school views which could be frustrating.

Advice to Management

Be a bit more flexible when initiating change.

British Heart Foundation2019-04-10
  6. "Great place with Great opportunities"

Current Employee - Program Manager in London, England

I have been working at British Heart Foundation full-time for more than a year

Pros

working with a large group of like minded, talented people who have the same goal in mind which is to make a difference and help save lives Having good exposure to all different types of technology, ways of working and delivering life changing projects and programmes open to ideas and new ways of working to help depts. and functions across the organisation

Cons

Some of the facilities could do with updating at some of the offices (I know that's being looked into)

British Heart Foundation2019-04-10
  7. "Customer sales assistant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England

I worked at British Heart Foundation part-time for more than a year

Pros

Easy going environment and friendly worker

Cons

Long hours and less break time

British Heart Foundation2019-04-22

"Shocking Treatment and Unprofessional Outfit"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Carlisle, England

I worked at British Heart Foundation full-time for less than a year

Pros

Really really enjoyed meeting and getting to know a lot of volunteers and listening to their life stories. Enjoyed the chance to travel and cover another shop for a week and being put in a very nice hotel with a brilliant restaurant joined onto the hotel. Some generally very nice people in some management positions, unfortunately not all of them.

Cons

Having passed my probation the new area manager decided to not put the paperwork through properly, or admin decided to ignore and knock it back for no reason (performance was excellent, without myself and a few other staff members and volunteers the shop would have fell apart). To then later be falsely accused, not have a proper investigation done, judged, jury and executed in the matter of 20 minutes using... probation. (Even though I had passed my probation weeks earlier). To be sold out by a very green area manager who single handedly destroyed the shop and its pricing. To then also be told my health and safety work booklet had not been put in my file, although being told by another member of management it definitely was in my file as we had an audit and this would have been flagged in the report. To provide no evidence or details to follow through on ending probation, to refuse my manager to represent me in the meeting, to claim the meeting was probation review, even though it was questioning me so should have been a fact finding meeting. To feed false information to HR, so when I appeal the decision I am flat out lied too. To waste charity money on tipping loads and loads of furniture (bear in mind tip runs can cost £200-300 per van run, not including payment to van crew yet). To treat volunteers like slaves and forget they are not paid staff members. The worst admin and systems in a "professional" company. To be stabbed in the back after being the only one to take up extra days work to cover the shop, the only one who would volunteer to do extra work and things not in my contract and to try and go above and beyond for the store and the charity. Delivery charges are extortionate, some very poor and devious van crews. Some managers are on way too much money for a charity and do very little work compared to those under them. In general not following any type of procedure for anything. No 3 month probation review as stated in contract, no 6 month final probation meeting. On the 7th month finally had a probation meeting to be passed only to be shafted weeks after. Clear pattern exploiting the use/extending of probation to change your mind on a person when you like.

Advice to Management

Remember its meant to be a charity, and dont lie to people. Dont falsify that someone didnt pass their probation when they did just so it suits you when you dislike them.

British Heart Foundation2019-05-03
  9. "Volunteer Shop Assistant"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Brandon, East of England, England

I worked at British Heart Foundation part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Gaining new skills & experience of telephone enquiries, serving customers & operating the till.

Cons

Unpaid work & hours for a period of time without employment

British Heart Foundation2019-04-14
  10. "Brilliant place to work"

Former Employee - Graduate in London, England

I worked at British Heart Foundation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people, social life if you want it, important cause, leadership who listen and you feel part of something much bigger.

Cons

Some teams can be very stretched at times but there’s usually support in place should you need it.

Advice to Management

Carry on listening to people and involving colleagues of all levels in decision making.

British Heart Foundation2019-03-28