British Heart Foundation "bhf" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

British Heart Foundation Employee Reviews about "bhf"

Updated Sep 10, 2019

Found 169 reviews

3.9
Pros
  • "Great office and colleagues who are all working hard to help the BHF achieve its long term strategy(in 17 reviews)

• "friendly staff, nice environment, good location(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "Charity pay doesn't compete with private sector(in 27 reviews)

• "Often left alone on shop floor as a new volunteer(in 23 reviews)

Reviews about "bhf"

Return to all Reviews
  1. Featured Review

"Super place to work"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in London, England

Pros

Cons

Food offering isn’t great in the food court on the 5th floor but Camden has plenty to offer

British Heart Foundation2019-06-26

July 17, 2019

Thanks so much for your review! It’s great to see how much you enjoy working with your colleagues to make a life saving difference! We wish you continued success with us!

2. "Passionate people working hard to make a difference"

Current Employee - Senior Organizational Change Specialist in London, England

I have been working at British Heart Foundation part-time for more than a year

Pros

I've worked at BHF for two years and it's the best place I've ever worked. The people are all really passionate and committed to our cause. The senior leadership are great at communicating the vision and it is clear how each person's job contributes to the overall strategy. We are always looking to improve and I think it will just get better and better over time. Personally my manager is excellent, my team are... supportive and I love the actual work I do. I would definitely recommend it as a place to work.

Cons

At the moment I think our passion and ambition means that we take on too much as an organisation and don't always prioritise the important things. This can mean that people's workload is high. However, the leadership are aware of this and are looking to improve our approach. I also think we could collaborate better as an organisation but again that is something we are working on.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing and thank you!

British Heart Foundation2018-12-21
  3. "Shocking"

Current Employee - Volunteer in Kingston upon Hull, England

I have been working at British Heart Foundation part-time for less than a year

Pros

I have heard that many BHF stores are very good however that was not my experience.messed up once doing reductions in my 3 week was then not trusted to do anything else. I constantly asked to benter shown how to do stuff so I could take on that role in the future and build my skill set. I was as you can imagine very dissapointed when people who started after me where shown things straight away without asking. Oneach... day I got into store at 12:30 and walked around until (they don't like you stood still) all the management at the front desk where sat down having a chat with a friend who had come in. I was tired after walking for so long an sat down on a chair at the other side of the stores within 1 minute the assignment manager was screaming at me from across the store even with customers present. Ithe is dissapointing that this was not an isolated incident.

Cons

Lots of people who come through job center are given a hard time because they are on a bit of a leash

Advice to Management

Get some structure into developing employees

British Heart Foundation2018-11-23

November 27, 2018

Hi , thank you for taking time to leave a review as volunteer feedback is key to helping us improve the volunteering experience and I would very much like to discuss your comments and the points you have raised . If you are happy to email me on vaadvice@bhf.org.uk Regards Jo - ...

4. "3 Years In"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at British Heart Foundation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The BHF is a grate place to work. I have been here 3 years and have really enjoyed it . It has given me he time t learn new skill and devotee my know of my chosen career path.

Cons

I can not really say there are any cons works not for the bhf

Advice to Management

There are no comments need for managerment.

British Heart Foundation2018-10-31

November 8, 2018Recruitment Partner

Hello, thank you for your review. It is great to hear that you feel the BHF is a great place to work that you've developed and had career progression in your role. It is also good to see that you do not have any cons! We wish you continued success in your role.

"Great Culture!"

Current Employee - Senior Director in London, England

I have been working at British Heart Foundation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is the best place I have ever worked! I really enjoy working with such great, enthusiastic and talented people! The BHF is doing some really interesting things, investing more in its work and conversely in it's people with new digital tools and new technologies like Workday - always trying to improve itself and do better. This makes for a friendly and warm place to work where people can be themselves, are... listened to and where the Values are very strong. People matter here!

Cons

I cannot think of a downside, it really is a great place to work with an open culture!

Advice to Management

Keep living the values and being open and transparent and engaging.

British Heart Foundation2018-08-24

October 3, 2018Recruitment Partner

Hi, thank you so much for your review and feedback. It is great to hear that you really enjoying the working environment, the exciting projects and open culture! It is also great that cannot think of any downsides! :). We wish you continued success with us.

6. "Great place to work when you want to push boundaries and try something new"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at British Heart Foundation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The BHF is a place that's always open to new ideas and trying a new approach. The leadership team, and other people in the organisation, actively encourage everyone to innovate and to aim higher.

Cons

The innovative spirit sometimes crashes against the challenge of being a large charity with systems that take a long time to work around, and old hierarchies. I know that lots of large organisations have the same problem, but it can be frustrating to be caught between the two worlds.

Advice to Management

The more the walls of hierarchy are broken down, the better things will become. We're already heading in the right direction, but an honest respect of the views and work of people right across the organisation will help us all achieve more, sooner.

British Heart Foundation2018-08-14

September 11, 2018Recruitment Partner

Hi, thank you so much for your feedback. It is good to see that you enjoy working as part of a team that makes a life-saving difference, and particularly the new ideas and innovations. With regards to the other points you have raised, we will ensure they are shared with the relevant ...

7. "Best job I've ever had"

Current Employee - Retail Change Specialist in Cardiff, Wales

I have been working at British Heart Foundation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Genuinely caring employer absolutely commited to their cause and the people they work with. Working here you are constantly surrounded by people who are passionate about what they do to deliver better results for the BHF because they believe in what we do. Team is very much led from the front by example and is a pleasure to work here. If you're looking for career progression or development the only... limitations on it here are the ones you set yourself.

Cons

I honestly can't think of anything I don't like about working here

British Heart Foundation2018-08-02

August 6, 2018Recruitment Partner

Hi, thank you so much for your fab feedback! It is good to see you love the working environment, our passionate teams & the development opportunities that are available. We thank you for your review and wish you continued success with us.

8. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Public Affairs in London, England

I have been working at British Heart Foundation full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Working with lots of passionate and knowledgeable people across a wide range of sectors - Pay and benefits is relatively good for the sector - In my team, there is a relatively 'flat' hierarchy, and individuals at every level are supported to take ownership over the projects they work on - Really robust complaints procedure, and issues are taken really seriously

Cons

- The BHF doesn't recognise trade unions, which is very unusual for such a large employer of retail staff

British Heart Foundation2018-08-01

August 6, 2018Recruitment Partner

Hi, thank you so much for your feedback. It is good to see that you 're enjoying your role with us- particularly working as part of a passionate and knowledgeable team! With regards to the other points you have raised, we will ensure they are shared with the relevant teams and dealt ...

""They chew you up and spit you out""

Former Employee - Fundraiser in London, England

I worked at British Heart Foundation full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great to put on your CV In the ASOS building so get invited to the £1 sample sales Good location (Camden)

Cons

There is a strong focus on the business rather than the individuals that are working there, leaving individuals feeling unheard and unimportant. HR are looking out for the senior managers, and don't have time or the need to focus on the culture or wellbeing of others in the organisation. The BHF have been known to suspend people and fire people in the Fundraising team and walk them out that day with no real... explanation to any of the other staff. Low morale in the office - especially within PR and Philanthropy & Partnerships (this is where I witnessed some of the most unhappiest of staff) Senior leadership team do not stick to the BHF values at all. Incredibly hierarchical More like a private sector organisation than a charity Your work tends to be so focused and specialised as the organisation is so large that you don't get to explore innovative, creative ideas as much as you might like to. Siloed working across the whole organisation, especially in Comms and Fundraising. Many reports of people suffering from depression following their time working in the organisation due to the hierarchical nature leaving people feeling unimportant, under valued and undermined.

Advice to Management

Focus on the individuals that put this organisation together - these people are key to your success and desirability. You don't have long riding along on the success of the organisation just due to the sheer size of you. Take stock, focus on who is important and take time to hear those people.

British Heart Foundation2017-07-27
  10. "I do like this, its just easier to complain than praise."

Store Volunteer (Furniture and Electrical) in Bedford, England

I have been working at British Heart Foundation

Pros

I really enjoy working at the BHF, I'm coordinating with a great team, the work is engaging and rewarding. And there are a lot of people who appreciate the charities work.

Cons

However... Communication between head office and the local shop level is truly atrocious. We have been waiting for an order to steel toe capped safety boots for weeks now and even the area manager seems to have no idea where they are. The computer systems are years behind what they should be. Just one example of this is that since the stores use a paper system to record van schedules, online bookings will... come through on days that are already fully booked, and we then need to phone those people and try and reschedule. And finally the flip side to the customers, sometimes they just don't understand the situation at the shop and take offence. When I was just starting on phone handling duties I once had a lady yell at me for our ingratitude when I asked if her sofa had fire labels. In case that lady is reading or you are considering donating furniture, that is a legal requirement. If you donate items that do not have fire labels then you are just asking the BHF to pay your tipping fee.

Advice to Management

Trust your shop managers and staff more, a universal pricing guide is good in theory but utterly fails to compensate for regional and stock quantity trends. At the very least allow managers discretion to move items up or down a price category. In regards to the CEO? Never met him and never been a CEO before so I couldn't comment.

British Heart Foundation2017-05-31