British Heart Foundation "charity" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

British Heart Foundation Employee Reviews about "charity"

Updated 31 Oct 2019

4.0
Pros
  • "Friendly staff, work around your prior commitments(in 18 reviews)

• "Great office and colleagues who are all working hard to help the BHF achieve its long term strategy(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • "Charity pay doesn't compete with private sector(in 29 reviews)

• "No cons at all great place to work(in 16 reviews)

Reviews about "charity"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great charity to work for"

Current Employee - ERP Controller in London, England

I have been working at British Heart Foundation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Worthwhile cause Generous benefits package Smarter working Flexible working Diverse workforce

Cons

Charity pay doesn't compete with private sector

Advice to Management

Introduce performance related pay

British Heart Foundation2019-06-19

"Toxic, poisonous, political and shameful"

Former Employee - Fundraiser in London, England

I worked at British Heart Foundation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Plenty of holiday is great, flexible working hours, well-known brand

Cons

Really, you have to just see it for yourself to believe how this place operates. I hope it's not all charities, but I hear it pretty much is. From the backstabbing, to the colleagues ready with pistols at dawn, to the culture of blame and recognition for whoever is flavor of the month, this is a pretty torturous place to work. Not only is a huge amount of money wasted through vanity projects left right and center..., but there are people constantly jostling for position. And all the while, little changes, improves or gets delivered. It's like swimming with your boots on. Then we have the awesome divide in senior management salaries, to those that actually bring in the money (fundraisers), and then those that blow it all on tech that we just don't need (hello IT), while providing super bad support to colleagues all the while. Maybe it looks good on their resumes or something, it doesn't make sense otherwise. In my time I witnessed people just not coming back the next day. Saw millions of pounds come in from people donating in their wills, only to go out again on paying someone off for a redundancy package. Meanwhile the shop workers earn one tenth of a pittance but put their hearts in (pun intended) their work. It's shameful and honestly I'm not sure I'll ever give to a charity again now. I'm just glad to have got out on my own terms. I just don't recommend it, look elsewhere please.

Advice to Management

Hang your heads in shame. You all need to be reviewed and controlled

British Heart Foundation2019-10-31

"Shocking Treatment and Unprofessional Outfit"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Carlisle, England

I worked at British Heart Foundation full-time for less than a year

Pros

Really really enjoyed meeting and getting to know a lot of volunteers and listening to their life stories. Enjoyed the chance to travel and cover another shop for a week and being put in a very nice hotel with a brilliant restaurant joined onto the hotel. Some generally very nice people in some management positions, unfortunately not all of them.

Cons

Having passed my probation the new area manager decided to not put the paperwork through properly, or admin decided to ignore and knock it back for no reason (performance was excellent, without myself and a few other staff members and volunteers the shop would have fell apart). To then later be falsely accused, not have a proper investigation done, judged, jury and executed in the matter of 20 minutes using... probation. (Even though I had passed my probation weeks earlier). To be sold out by a very green area manager who single handedly destroyed the shop and its pricing. To then also be told my health and safety work booklet had not been put in my file, although being told by another member of management it definitely was in my file as we had an audit and this would have been flagged in the report. To provide no evidence or details to follow through on ending probation, to refuse my manager to represent me in the meeting, to claim the meeting was probation review, even though it was questioning me so should have been a fact finding meeting. To feed false information to HR, so when I appeal the decision I am flat out lied too. To waste charity money on tipping loads and loads of furniture (bear in mind tip runs can cost £200-300 per van run, not including payment to van crew yet). To treat volunteers like slaves and forget they are not paid staff members. The worst admin and systems in a "professional" company. To be stabbed in the back after being the only one to take up extra days work to cover the shop, the only one who would volunteer to do extra work and things not in my contract and to try and go above and beyond for the store and the charity. Delivery charges are extortionate, some very poor and devious van crews. Some managers are on way too much money for a charity and do very little work compared to those under them. In general not following any type of procedure for anything. No 3 month probation review as stated in contract, no 6 month final probation meeting. On the 7th month finally had a probation meeting to be passed only to be shafted weeks after. Clear pattern exploiting the use/extending of probation to change your mind on a person when you like.

Advice to Management

Remember its meant to be a charity, and dont lie to people. Dont falsify that someone didnt pass their probation when they did just so it suits you when you dislike them.

British Heart Foundation2019-05-03
  4. "Getting really tough to stay"

Current Employee - General Dogsbody in Liverpool, England

I have been working at British Heart Foundation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Full time work and pay no evening/night work get to see unusual items meet some great people healthcare plan which goes towards opticians or dental

Cons

Not enough paid staff No staff bonuses Too much dependence on what few paid staff there are and not enough volunteers No fun any more THEY FORGET THEY ARE A CHARITY SHOP SELLING 2nd HAND ITEMS They have gone too corporate and it is more money - more money - more money

Advice to Management

Remember what we used to be, and focus more on getting staff in through the doors instead of hurting what few staff members we have

British Heart Foundation2019-04-03
  5. "Volunteer"

Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer in London, England

I have been working at British Heart Foundation for less than a year

Pros

-Great people -flexible -fun -good variety of tasks -freedom in choosing tasks

Cons

-can be unorganized -not enough space -old cash register system Since it is a charity I can't really criticize them at all. They are doing amazing regarding the amount of stock they get.

British Heart Foundation2018-11-07

"manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in London, England

I worked at British Heart Foundation full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

what i liked about this job was it was all about making money for the charity to make profit and to have fun while you were working

Cons

its not like that now. i worked for over 10years and in that time its all changed. its about being a retailer that does not care about its people and wants to drive everyone into the ground if they dont make enough profit. the thing is the whole of the shop managers are just feeling so deflated as all have to do so many check lists and complainces that it leaves no time for customer service. area managers are... trying and i feel doing there best to help but regional and above have no clue how everyone is feeling. i had to leave as i was working 50 to 60 hrs pr week just to get trying to get ahead. charity retail shound not be full price retail. stop spening 100's of thousends on projects (not well known) and invest in the staff that matter.

Advice to Management

area managers are mostly ok (i had a really good one who was really compassanate) but its above and all H/O staff who just do not care about the store teams. give more hrs to stores and believe that all managers are working well over the 48hrs. you know we are but choose to ignore. stop doing this.

British Heart Foundation2018-11-17
  7. "Great place to work when you want to push boundaries and try something new"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at British Heart Foundation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The BHF is a place that's always open to new ideas and trying a new approach. The leadership team, and other people in the organisation, actively encourage everyone to innovate and to aim higher.

Cons

The innovative spirit sometimes crashes against the challenge of being a large charity with systems that take a long time to work around, and old hierarchies. I know that lots of large organisations have the same problem, but it can be frustrating to be caught between the two worlds.

Advice to Management

The more the walls of hierarchy are broken down, the better things will become. We're already heading in the right direction, but an honest respect of the views and work of people right across the organisation will help us all achieve more, sooner.

British Heart Foundation2018-08-14
  8. "Sunday shop assistant"

Former Employee - Shop Assistant in East Grinstead, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at British Heart Foundation part-time for more than a year

Pros

You get the opportunity to learn and move up in the company. Working very closely with the managers of the shop. Really nice relationships with the volunteers. 25% discount.

Cons

Pay isn't great but that's common for charity work. Hours weren't great. kinda thrown in at the deep end and given a lot of responsibility quite early.

Advice to Management

pay your shop staff more.

British Heart Foundation2017-07-09

""They chew you up and spit you out""

Former Employee - Fundraiser in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at British Heart Foundation full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great to put on your CV In the ASOS building so get invited to the £1 sample sales Good location (Camden)

Cons

There is a strong focus on the business rather than the individuals that are working there, leaving individuals feeling unheard and unimportant. HR are looking out for the senior managers, and don't have time or the need to focus on the culture or wellbeing of others in the organisation. The BHF have been known to suspend people and fire people in the Fundraising team and walk them out that day with no real... explanation to any of the other staff. Low morale in the office - especially within PR and Philanthropy & Partnerships (this is where I witnessed some of the most unhappiest of staff) Senior leadership team do not stick to the BHF values at all. Incredibly hierarchical More like a private sector organisation than a charity Your work tends to be so focused and specialised as the organisation is so large that you don't get to explore innovative, creative ideas as much as you might like to. Siloed working across the whole organisation, especially in Comms and Fundraising. Many reports of people suffering from depression following their time working in the organisation due to the hierarchical nature leaving people feeling unimportant, under valued and undermined.

Advice to Management

Focus on the individuals that put this organisation together - these people are key to your success and desirability. You don't have long riding along on the success of the organisation just due to the sheer size of you. Take stock, focus on who is important and take time to hear those people.

British Heart Foundation2017-07-27

"Shocking waste of funds in head office"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at British Heart Foundation full-time for more than a year

Pros

* Decent head office * People are for the most part lovely * Great CV piece * An incredible cause * BHF are arguably the biggest cardiovascular research charity in the world, so you know that good stuff should be happening

Cons

* Fundamental lack of understanding in senior and mid-senior level staff of what needs to happen * Incredibly slow decision making * Lots of lip service from all levels up and down * Culture of accepted failure * there's no accountability for failure * A truly massive set up, bigger than internationals I have worked in previously * Good money is spent after bad on a regular basis, terrible decisions keep... historic processes, people and systems going rather than making the "difficult" decisions * Very poor salaries, even for a charity * Seem to employ tons of mediocre staff than a handful of brilliant staff

Advice to Management

Rather than just appeasing the 101 committees that exist and relying on the fact that you are a "charity", actually look at the set up. A commercial organisation with a similar volume of employees and geographic spread would be a LOT leaner in spend, staffing and physical location. If every penny counts, why have a large, North London head office? It is time to evaluate the company, staff and culture and make... the sweeping cuts and actual organisational changes in a fast and concise manner to really start achieving goals rather than just swinging from one priority to another in the hope that the magic dust does not run out. Address the culture of acceptable failure, constant delays and siloed working activities and actually run as a lean, cohesive organisation and more money can be spent on the cause rather than keeping the cause ticking over.

British Heart Foundation2017-03-29