British Heart Foundation Employee Reviews about "charity"

Updated 17 Jul 2020

British Heart Foundation Chief Executive Dr. Charmaine Griffiths
Dr. Charmaine Griffiths
Pros
  • "Friendly staff, work around your prior commitments(in 19 reviews)

• "Generous funding and support network from BHF alumni researchers(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • "Personal pressure to achieve as charity funded(in 33 reviews)

• "No cons at all great place to work(in 17 reviews)

Reviews about "charity"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "PhD"

5.0
    Current Employee - BHF PhD Candidate in London, England

I have been working at British Heart Foundation full-time

Pros

Generous funding and support network from BHF alumni researchers

Cons

Personal pressure to achieve as charity funded

"Hated working here"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at British Heart Foundation full-time for more than a year

Pros

I met some lovely people A lot of training sessions available

Cons

Some really toxic managers Big emphasis on hierarchy and a lot of pressure put on teams that ends up put on lower down workers Don't listen to new opinions and ideas Don't care about the people, just making a profit to be "the best charity" Dirty offices, mice live in the vents and poo on the desks Bad cross team collaboration. A lot of pressure to meet team targets rather than whole organisation targets, so teams fight over income streams.

June 25, 2020Recruitment Partner

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for us. We're sorry to hear about your experience working with us. It is not what we would want or expect for our colleagues. Our people often come up as a positive point in our reviews and it is good to see that you were able partake is training that is available on Workday Learning. All of the other points that you have raised will be shared with the relevant teams and dealt with accordingly . We welcome all feedback and so if you would like to share any further details around the points above then please contact us at careers@bhf.org.uk for a confidential conversation. Wishing you all the best. BHF recruitment team

"Frustrating"

2.0
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Hull, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at British Heart Foundation full-time

Pros

Non profit. Good controls on corporate expenditure in comparison to many firms. Some really good employees. Great volunteers. Varied work. Relatively short working week, 35 hours, no late nights or long shifts.

Cons

Major conflicts between the charity image & the business requirement. Too much pressure on target & kpi achievement, a charity which threatens letters of concern is not my idea of an understanding employer. They encourage whistle blowing & safeguarding yet a line manager will say "we don't talk about such things". Far too many area & regional managers & directors, not required. Ill thought out notions of what is required while ignoring what the employees & customers need.

March 31, 2020

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are disappointed to hear that you don't feel that we, as an organisation, are listening to you. If you feel that we can be of any support in this area, please contact us on careers@bhf.org.uk. We value your feedback, so this and your other points regarding targets and our use of letters of concern, will be shared with the relevant teams. Recruitment Team

"Toxic, poisonous, political and shameful"

Former Employee - Fundraiser in London, England

I worked at British Heart Foundation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Plenty of holiday is great, flexible working hours, well-known brand

Cons

Really, you have to just see it for yourself to believe how this place operates. I hope it's not all charities, but I hear it pretty much is. From the backstabbing, to the colleagues ready with pistols at dawn, to the culture of blame and recognition for whoever is flavor of the month, this is a pretty torturous place to work. Not only is a huge amount of money wasted through vanity projects left right and center, but there are people constantly jostling for position. And all the while, little changes, improves or gets delivered. It's like swimming with your boots on. Then we have the awesome divide in senior management salaries, to those that actually bring in the money (fundraisers), and then those that blow it all on tech that we just don't need (hello IT), while providing super bad support to colleagues all the while. Maybe it looks good on their resumes or something, it doesn't make sense otherwise. In my time I witnessed people just not coming back the next day. Saw millions of pounds come in from people donating in their wills, only to go out again on paying someone off for a redundancy package. Meanwhile the shop workers earn one tenth of a pittance but put their hearts in (pun intended) their work. It's shameful and honestly I'm not sure I'll ever give to a charity again now. I'm just glad to have got out on my own terms. I just don't recommend it, look elsewhere please.

Continue reading
  5. "Great charity to work for"

5.0
    Current Employee - ERP Controller in London, England

I have been working at British Heart Foundation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Worthwhile cause Generous benefits package Smarter working Flexible working Diverse workforce

Cons

Charity pay doesn't compete with private sector

June 20, 2019

Hi, thank you so much for your review. It's great to see after 10 years you still love working as part of a team that makes a life-saving difference, and that our benefits have created a positive working culture. Our flexible and smarter working initiatives often come up as positive points in our employe reviews. We are always looking to improve our employee experience and your points around pay will be shared with the relevant team. We wish you continued success with us!

"Shocking Treatment and Unprofessional Outfit"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Carlisle, England

I worked at British Heart Foundation full-time for less than a year

Pros

Really really enjoyed meeting and getting to know a lot of volunteers and listening to their life stories. Enjoyed the chance to travel and cover another shop for a week and being put in a very nice hotel with a brilliant restaurant joined onto the hotel. Some generally very nice people in some management positions, unfortunately not all of them.

Cons

Having passed my probation the new area manager decided to not put the paperwork through properly, or admin decided to ignore and knock it back for no reason (performance was excellent, without myself and a few other staff members and volunteers the shop would have fell apart). To then later be falsely accused, not have a proper investigation done, judged, jury and executed in the matter of 20 minutes using probation. (Even though I had passed my probation weeks earlier). To be sold out by a very green area manager who single handedly destroyed the shop and its pricing. To then also be told my health and safety work booklet had not been put in my file, although being told by another member of management it definitely was in my file as we had an audit and this would have been flagged in the report. To provide no evidence or details to follow through on ending probation, to refuse my manager to represent me in the meeting, to claim the meeting was probation review, even though it was questioning me so should have been a fact finding meeting. To feed false information to HR, so when I appeal the decision I am flat out lied too. To waste charity money on tipping loads and loads of furniture (bear in mind tip runs can cost £200-300 per van run, not including payment to van crew yet). To treat volunteers like slaves and forget they are not paid staff members. The worst admin and systems in a "professional" company. To be stabbed in the back after being the only one to take up extra days work to cover the shop, the only one who would volunteer to do extra work and things not in my contract and to try and go above and beyond for the store and the charity. Delivery charges are extortionate, some very poor and devious van crews. Some managers are on way too much money for a charity and do very little work compared to those under them. In general not following any type of procedure for anything. No 3 month probation review as stated in contract, no 6 month final probation meeting. On the 7th month finally had a probation meeting to be passed only to be shafted weeks after. Clear pattern exploiting the use/extending of probation to change your mind on a person when you like.

Continue reading

"Getting really tough to stay"

Current Employee - General Dogsbody in Liverpool, England

I have been working at British Heart Foundation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Full time work and pay no evening/night work get to see unusual items meet some great people healthcare plan which goes towards opticians or dental

Cons

Not enough paid staff No staff bonuses Too much dependence on what few paid staff there are and not enough volunteers No fun any more THEY FORGET THEY ARE A CHARITY SHOP SELLING 2nd HAND ITEMS They have gone too corporate and it is more money - more money - more money

April 10, 2019

Thank you for your review. It's good to hear that you feel we offer good staff benefits, and that until recently you've had a positive experience with us. We continually strive to create a positive environment and a healthy work-life balance for our employees, so your comments will be taken seriously. Your feedback regarding volunteer numbers, staffing levels and general workload, will be shared with the relevant teams. If you would like to discuss any issues further, or if we can offer any support, please contact us on careers@bhf.org.uk.

8. "Volunteer"

Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer in London, England

I have been working at British Heart Foundation for less than a year

Pros

-Great people -flexible -fun -good variety of tasks -freedom in choosing tasks

Cons

-can be unorganized -not enough space -old cash register system Since it is a charity I can't really criticize them at all. They are doing amazing regarding the amount of stock they get.

"manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in London, England

I worked at British Heart Foundation full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

what i liked about this job was it was all about making money for the charity to make profit and to have fun while you were working

Cons

its not like that now. i worked for over 10years and in that time its all changed. its about being a retailer that does not care about its people and wants to drive everyone into the ground if they dont make enough profit. the thing is the whole of the shop managers are just feeling so deflated as all have to do so many check lists and complainces that it leaves no time for customer service. area managers are trying and i feel doing there best to help but regional and above have no clue how everyone is feeling. i had to leave as i was working 50 to 60 hrs pr week just to get trying to get ahead. charity retail shound not be full price retail. stop spening 100's of thousends on projects (not well known) and invest in the staff that matter.

December 19, 2018Recruitment Partner

Hi, thank you so much for your feedback. and for taking the time to leave a review. It is good to hear that you enjoyed working for a charity that makes a life-saving difference and had fun whilst working hard. However, we are disappointed to hear that you did not have the overall experience with us that we would want or expect. We want to assure you that we take all feedback seriously and if you would like to discuss any of your points with us further then please contact us confidentially at peopleservices@bhf.org.uk. Thank you

10. "Great place to work when you want to push boundaries and try something new"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at British Heart Foundation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The BHF is a place that's always open to new ideas and trying a new approach. The leadership team, and other people in the organisation, actively encourage everyone to innovate and to aim higher.

Cons

The innovative spirit sometimes crashes against the challenge of being a large charity with systems that take a long time to work around, and old hierarchies. I know that lots of large organisations have the same problem, but it can be frustrating to be caught between the two worlds.

September 11, 2018Recruitment Partner

Hi, thank you so much for your feedback. It is good to see that you enjoy working as part of a team that makes a life-saving difference, and particularly the new ideas and innovations. With regards to the other points you have raised, we will ensure they are shared with the relevant teams and dealt with accordingly. We wish you continued success with us!

Found 20 reviews