British Heart Foundation "paid staff" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

British Heart Foundation Employee Reviews about "paid staff"

Updated 16 de Oct 2019

4.0
Pros
  • "Friendly staff, work around your prior commitments(in 18 reviews)

• "Great office and colleagues who are all working hard to help the BHF achieve its long term strategy(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • "Charity pay doesn't compete with private sector(in 29 reviews)

• "Theyre were no job vacancies for paid staff while I was there(in 16 reviews)

Reviews about "paid staff"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Benefits of volunteering at BHF homestore"

Volunteer Sales Assistant in Bury, North West England, England

I have been working at British Heart Foundation

Pros

I have worked in 2 home store/furniture and electrical stores, one in the south of England and one in the north west (where I am currently). I experience moderate mental health issues (anxiety and depression mainly) and would say the job has really helped me in the following ways:- Supportive and friendly and helpful managers, make me feel valued and looked after Meeting customers, staff and other volunteers... helped my confidence grow and took me out of my 'comfort zone' in a secure way. Enjoyment of the variety of work and very rewarding helping people and helping a charity Flexibility of working People like me there (!) and give me compliments about my work, this helps my self-esteem. It keeps me busy and positive. I look forward to going to work and being in a positive environment, with positive people. I am also looking forward to joining you all on the Christmas night out.

Cons

More training for volunteers (especially those with additional needs or low self esteem) Mentorship/buddy provision for new volunteers by another experienced volunteer or paid staff member.

Advice to Management

could we have volunteer meetings on a monthly basis? Thank you Gillian, Emma, Kim, Carl, Felix and Naz (Bury store) for being good to me and the other volunteers, I always feel much better (stronger) when I come into work. You are very supportive, friendly and kind and you help me trust people again. I really appreciate the positive compliments, it helps a great deal with my confidence and you are great people... to have met and worked with. This is the best voluntary job I have had (I have worked in a number of charities and schools) and it is helping me a massive amount on my long road to recovery. I also enjoy helping other volunteers who are new or who need extra support, it is rewarding. Please give me a job one day?!

British Heart Foundation2016-12-08
  2. "Friendly"

Former Employee - Volunteer in Kidderminster, England

I worked at British Heart Foundation part-time for less than a year

Pros

A friendly and nice place to volunteer,

Cons

Theyre were no job vacancies for paid staff while I was there

British Heart Foundation2019-10-16

"Shocking Treatment and Unprofessional Outfit"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Carlisle, England

I worked at British Heart Foundation full-time for less than a year

Pros

Really really enjoyed meeting and getting to know a lot of volunteers and listening to their life stories. Enjoyed the chance to travel and cover another shop for a week and being put in a very nice hotel with a brilliant restaurant joined onto the hotel. Some generally very nice people in some management positions, unfortunately not all of them.

Cons

Having passed my probation the new area manager decided to not put the paperwork through properly, or admin decided to ignore and knock it back for no reason (performance was excellent, without myself and a few other staff members and volunteers the shop would have fell apart). To then later be falsely accused, not have a proper investigation done, judged, jury and executed in the matter of 20 minutes using... probation. (Even though I had passed my probation weeks earlier). To be sold out by a very green area manager who single handedly destroyed the shop and its pricing. To then also be told my health and safety work booklet had not been put in my file, although being told by another member of management it definitely was in my file as we had an audit and this would have been flagged in the report. To provide no evidence or details to follow through on ending probation, to refuse my manager to represent me in the meeting, to claim the meeting was probation review, even though it was questioning me so should have been a fact finding meeting. To feed false information to HR, so when I appeal the decision I am flat out lied too. To waste charity money on tipping loads and loads of furniture (bear in mind tip runs can cost £200-300 per van run, not including payment to van crew yet). To treat volunteers like slaves and forget they are not paid staff members. The worst admin and systems in a "professional" company. To be stabbed in the back after being the only one to take up extra days work to cover the shop, the only one who would volunteer to do extra work and things not in my contract and to try and go above and beyond for the store and the charity. Delivery charges are extortionate, some very poor and devious van crews. Some managers are on way too much money for a charity and do very little work compared to those under them. In general not following any type of procedure for anything. No 3 month probation review as stated in contract, no 6 month final probation meeting. On the 7th month finally had a probation meeting to be passed only to be shafted weeks after. Clear pattern exploiting the use/extending of probation to change your mind on a person when you like.

Advice to Management

Remember its meant to be a charity, and dont lie to people. Dont falsify that someone didnt pass their probation when they did just so it suits you when you dislike them.

British Heart Foundation2019-05-03
  4. "Getting really tough to stay"

Current Employee - General Dogsbody in Liverpool, England

I have been working at British Heart Foundation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Full time work and pay no evening/night work get to see unusual items meet some great people healthcare plan which goes towards opticians or dental

Cons

Not enough paid staff No staff bonuses Too much dependence on what few paid staff there are and not enough volunteers No fun any more THEY FORGET THEY ARE A CHARITY SHOP SELLING 2nd HAND ITEMS They have gone too corporate and it is more money - more money - more money

Advice to Management

Remember what we used to be, and focus more on getting staff in through the doors instead of hurting what few staff members we have

British Heart Foundation2019-04-03
  5. "shop floor assistant."

Former Employee - Shop Floor Assistant in Blackburn, England

I worked at British Heart Foundation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good team working, good management.

Cons

too many volunteers and not enough paid staff.

Advice to Management

should keep an eye on volunteers especially the ones that are standing behind the customer desk.

British Heart Foundation2018-09-07
  6. "British Heart Foundation"

Current Employee - Voluntary Shop Floor Assistant in Hartlepool, England

I have been working at British Heart Foundation part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A lovely place to work. Volunteers, staff and customers make my day.

Cons

Voluntary position. You can't blame their culture for having so few paid staff, therefore raising so much more for important research.

Advice to Management

Great Manager. Good advice, sound reasoning, can't get better than that. A very likeable and respected person as far as I am concerned.

British Heart Foundation2017-05-09
  7. "rewarding working environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at British Heart Foundation part-time for less than a year

Pros

- good company values. - you get to meet and work with people from different aspects of life, different abilities. - you have a lot of responsibilities. - employee discount

Cons

- pay could be higher. - not enough staff. - volunteers do not always turn up so you are left with only 3 paid staff onsite

British Heart Foundation2016-10-02

"Saddened"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Leeds, England

I have been working at British Heart Foundation full-time

Pros

Never a dull moment! Keeps you fit

Cons

Overworked, underpaid, very stressful, not valued, diabolical health & safety, poor working conditions, no care for paid staff let alone volunteers who give time freely, trackers for everything, unrealistic targets to name a few! As a manager I am very outgoing, love new challenges and have a lot of drive, this company how ever have sucked every last ounce of passion out of me to the point they have finally broken... me and I am currently seeking new employment! The biggest problem is lack of measure in change. Don't get me wrong they are the best at what they do as a charity retailer on the high street, but what is shown to the public on the shop floors is far cry from what happens behind the scenes. Shops generally consist of a paid manager, assistant manager and paid assistant if you lucky, the rest of the team is made up of good hearted volunteers some of who work as though it is a full time job! The back working areas are horrendous, no space for storage and mounds of stock (if you're doing the job correctly) the environments are more than often dangerous. There is a huge problem when it comes to getting any form of repairs done, you are often told "that will cost too much money" so jobs are always bodged. Shops have to work with rats/fleas/un-safe equipment etc. When you try to communicate problems the area managers who are equally under as much pressure seem to live in fear of the regional managers so things often get swept under the carpet. When a visit is due from anyone higher up you are told to make sure everything is clear, totally unrealistic as for one it takes a good week to sort it out and two it does not allow the real daily working environment that we work in to be seen! Currently I am working with 9 different trackers! These generally are the brain wave of an area manager that is then shared amongst all the others. These trackers are repetitive in their nature. Then you have the conference call scenario, there is around 15 shop managers on one call, these take up so much time as you are always waiting for people to dial in who are late, then you can't hear a thing due to all the background noise and the area manager is constantly telling people to be quiet, these calls can last up to 40 minutes a time and some days you end up having 3. This is all detracts from being able to run your store and achieve targets of 250 hanging items to the shop floor each day. Whilst sitting on a call you see the donated stock flowing up the stairs and know your workload has just doubled. If it's a day where volunteers don't turn up and you are short staffed you don't stand a chance! Then you are made to feel incompetent when your stock hasn't hit the shop floor because you have been tied up in conference calls throughout the day. My store receives around 500 bags per week, which if you saw the size of the store you would understand, if you don't work that stock continually you have major problems. More recently the company have become suddenly OCD about health and safety, sending managers on risk assessment courses, great yes but all it's doing is passing the buck back down to the store manager if anything goes wrong, we were told we would be the ones who would serve time in prison if we don't keep on top of it all and accident occur, yet they refuse to spend money on improvements that are desperately needed! They take on cheap rents to be able to maximise their profits. Fundraising..... Where to start! The company has its own fundraising department who appear to have the easy job, as the small stores are expected to fundraise daily, targets often set at £50 per day, you are expected to turn it in to a "fun" challenge for your volunteers, believe me there is no fun in this at all, you have no choice but to send your best volunteer out to collect this money which then leaves you short handed in the store. Volunteers who are vulnerable and there are many in these stores are the preferred ones to go out collecting as they have the "pity factor" it's disgusting! However if you are like me and many other managers you more often then not end up putting your own money in the collection so you don't feel worthless when you have to report your figures on yet another conference call. Gift Aid, the company expects a minimum of 5 new sign ups per day and a 40% conversion rate each week on gift aid sales, the pressure from this leads to many managers fiddling the gift aid system i.e using donor id's from a person who hasn't actually donated any stock recently. This is a grave concern as this is illegal and an imprisonable offence by the HMRC, but this is what the company's expectations are doing to store managers. When you are honest and speak up about the pressure you are told that there are worst company's and bigger pressures that you could be working for and that maybe you are just not cut out for the job. There is no consistency with plans, organisation or communication. You are spoken to very rudely by certain departments when you have a problem. This company spend an awful lot of time sending out emails and surveys but never actually do anything about the results that have been given from them except to send out yet another glossy, colourful piece of laminated art work to place on the staff notice board that nobody ever reads as they simply don't have time. I really wish that more outside organisations would really start looking at these stores as I know they would serve notices and close them down, the danger is very worrying especially when you have vulnerable people volunteering for you. I have met Peter Hollins once during my 12 years in the company, he was a lovely gentleman, he did mention he was a little shocked at the conditions but then disappeared back to London, of course everything was spick and spam for the visit! There are no real incentives as such working here apart from a 25% discount on donated stock. Bonuses are now virtually impossible to make due to the recent restructuring of the bonus scheme. There are no health packages, child care vouchers or anything else, yet the regional support managers/ area managers/ regional managers all get health packages/ phones/ lap tops and cars. I dread to think how much all of this costs, there are so many wasted and needles roles in this company that could save hundreds of thousands of pounds that could go towards more research. It is very rare you see much bad press about them as things are kept quiet and they have an excellent legal team. They are very clever at getting rid of problems if a disgruntled person comes forward. This organisation needs investigating at a very deep level especially when it comes to wasting people's generous donations. Am I an angry employee? Absolutely! After 12 years of giving everything I have, I have now finally woke up to the sad reality that I have been a victim of nothing more than what can only be deemed as a cult! There is so much more than what I have written here, but I am so overwhelmed with it all I am aware I have vented too much. When I have gained a new position and got away from this place I fully intend to expose the whole lot to the national media and anyone who will listen with the evidence I have built. Good luck to any new potential employees, you have been warned.

Advice to Management

To the guys at the top, get out in to these stores. Don't tell anyone you are coming because the word spreads down the line well in advance and problems are covered so you don't see them! I am deeply saddened that this company has turned me in to such a negative and unhappy person and I only hope you see this as every complaint gets stuck at a certain level.

British Heart Foundation2016-02-17

"Management expect too much of paid staff and volunteers"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Assistant in Falkirk, Scotland

I worked at British Heart Foundation part-time for more than a year

Pros

Met lots of lovely people. Volunteers were all long serving people an made me feel very welcome.

Cons

Complaints are never followed up, always ignored. Only time the management talk to paid staff and volunteers is to tell them to do more work and then complain about the work done.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your volunteers more!! Appreciate it when people go that extra mile for the shop!! Sort out the manager in the Falkirk shop!!

British Heart Foundation2016-02-02

"Part time sales assistant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland

I worked at British Heart Foundation part-time for more than a year

Pros

First choice on any donated items in stock. Discount on donated items. Volunteers are very friendly and keen to take part in informal nights out. Staff kitty for nights out (can only be added to if you meet sales and raffle ticket sales targets though)

Cons

Highly pressurised environment for a charity shop, there is a constant pressure to beat sales targets from last year and to up sell things by getting people to buy raffle tickets all the time. Shops are usually old and have no heating or air conditioning therefore in summer it is scorching hot and hard to work in but in winter it is freezing. Shops also have no proper security cameras and theft is astonishingly... high compared to what you may expect as people tend to assume "nobody will steal from charity". Discrepancies in work done to rewards are ridiculous as volunteers do most work but don't get paid, then the paid staff within the shop get huge amounts of pressure but only get the minimum wage whereas area, regional and national managers earn a large salary and enjoy benefits such as company car and phone but their work mostly focuses around coming to shops to see if they are upto scratch and if not, complaining and putting further pressure down the line.

Advice to Management

Scrap the sales targets as it is a charity shop, not a high street, profit driven, shareholder owned retail shop. As the shops do make a lot of money for the charity, it would be nice if some of it were invested back into them in the form of air conditioning, heating and security cameras.

British Heart Foundation2015-07-13