British Heart Foundation Employee Reviews about "paid staff"

Updated Dec 15, 2020

Found 12 of over 692 reviews

4.1
Pros
  • "Flexible hours, very friendly staff(in 22 reviews)

• "The BHF is an excellent place to work because of its people(in 21 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Personal pressure to achieve as charity funded(in 37 reviews)

• "Theyre were no job vacancies for paid staff while I was there(in 17 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "paid staff"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Benefits of volunteering at BHF homestore

Dec 8, 2016 - Volunteer Sales Assistant in Bury, North West England, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have worked in 2 home store/furniture and electrical stores, one in the south of England and one in the north west (where I am currently). I experience moderate mental health issues (anxiety and depression mainly) and would say the job has really helped me in the following ways:- Supportive and friendly and helpful managers, make me feel valued and looked after Meeting customers, staff and other volunteers helped my confidence grow and took me out of my 'comfort zone' in a secure way. Enjoyment of the variety of work and very rewarding helping people and helping a charity Flexibility of working People like me there (!) and give me compliments about my work, this helps my self-esteem. It keeps me busy and positive. I look forward to going to work and being in a positive environment, with positive people. I am also looking forward to joining you all on the Christmas night out.

Cons

More training for volunteers (especially those with additional needs or low self esteem) Mentorship/buddy provision for new volunteers by another experienced volunteer or paid staff member.

2. 3.0

Great individuals

Dec 15, 2020 - Warehouse Assistant in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

An unreasonable pressure of staff and volunteers Rely way to heavily on volunteers to assist limited paid staff complete their tasks.

2 people found this review helpful

Recruitment Partner

Hello, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. Our Warehouse Assistants are the beating heart of our stores and an essential part of our operation, so it is disappointing to hear that you've not had that experience we would want or expect. Our passionate people and working environment often comes up as a positive comment in our colleague reviews. Regarding your other comments I would recommend having a conversation with your Manager if you have not yet done so, so that they are aware of your thoughts and feedback and can support further. For further confidential advice and support please reach out to us via careers@bhf.org.uk. Wishing you every success! BHF recruitment team

3. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Friendly

Oct 16, 2019 - Volunteer in Kidderminster, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

A friendly and nice place to volunteer,

Cons

Theyre were no job vacancies for paid staff while I was there

British Heart Foundation Response

hello , thank you for your review. I'm really glad that you experienced a nice and friendly place to volunteer in , this is exactly what we want for all our amazing volunteers. Thank you for all your support ! Jo - Volunteering Team

4. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Shocking Treatment and Unprofessional Outfit

May 3, 2019 - Warehouse Associate in Carlisle, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Really really enjoyed meeting and getting to know a lot of volunteers and listening to their life stories. Enjoyed the chance to travel and cover another shop for a week and being put in a very nice hotel with a brilliant restaurant joined onto the hotel. Some generally very nice people in some management positions, unfortunately not all of them.

Cons

Having passed my probation the new area manager decided to not put the paperwork through properly, or admin decided to ignore and knock it back for no reason (performance was excellent, without myself and a few other staff members and volunteers the shop would have fell apart). To then later be falsely accused, not have a proper investigation done, judged, jury and executed in the matter of 20 minutes using probation. (Even though I had passed my probation weeks earlier). To be sold out by a very green area manager who single handedly destroyed the shop and its pricing. To then also be told my health and safety work booklet had not been put in my file, although being told by another member of management it definitely was in my file as we had an audit and this would have been flagged in the report. To provide no evidence or details to follow through on ending probation, to refuse my manager to represent me in the meeting, to claim the meeting was probation review, even though it was questioning me so should have been a fact finding meeting. To feed false information to HR, so when I appeal the decision I am flat out lied too. To waste charity money on tipping loads and loads of furniture (bear in mind tip runs can cost £200-300 per van run, not including payment to van crew yet). To treat volunteers like slaves and forget they are not paid staff members. The worst admin and systems in a "professional" company. To be stabbed in the back after being the only one to take up extra days work to cover the shop, the only one who would volunteer to do extra work and things not in my contract and to try and go above and beyond for the store and the charity. Delivery charges are extortionate, some very poor and devious van crews. Some managers are on way too much money for a charity and do very little work compared to those under them. In general not following any type of procedure for anything. No 3 month probation review as stated in contract, no 6 month final probation meeting. On the 7th month finally had a probation meeting to be passed only to be shafted weeks after. Clear pattern exploiting the use/extending of probation to change your mind on a person when you like.

5 people found this review helpful
    5. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Getting really tough to stay

Apr 3, 2019 - General Dogsbody in Liverpool, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Full time work and pay no evening/night work get to see unusual items meet some great people healthcare plan which goes towards opticians or dental

Cons

Not enough paid staff No staff bonuses Too much dependence on what few paid staff there are and not enough volunteers No fun any more THEY FORGET THEY ARE A CHARITY SHOP SELLING 2nd HAND ITEMS They have gone too corporate and it is more money - more money - more money

1 person found this review helpful

British Heart Foundation Response

Thank you for your review. It's good to hear that you feel we offer good staff benefits, and that until recently you've had a positive experience with us. We continually strive to create a positive environment and a healthy work-life balance for our employees, so your comments will be taken seriously. Your feedback regarding volunteer numbers, staffing levels and general workload, will be shared with the relevant teams. If you would like to discuss any issues further, or if we can offer any support, please contact us on careers@bhf.org.uk.

6. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

shop floor assistant.

Sep 7, 2018 - Shop Floor Assistant in Blackburn, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good team working, good management.

Cons

too many volunteers and not enough paid staff.

Recruitment Partner

Hi, thank you so much for your feedback. It is good to see that you enjoyed your team and the working environment. With regards to the other points you have raised, we will ensure they are shared with the relevant teams and dealt with accordingly.

7. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

British Heart Foundation

May 9, 2017 - Voluntary Shop Floor Assistant in Hartlepool, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

A lovely place to work. Volunteers, staff and customers make my day.

Cons

Voluntary position. You can't blame their culture for having so few paid staff, therefore raising so much more for important research.

8. 3.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

rewarding working environment

Oct 2, 2016 - Anonymous Employee in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- good company values. - you get to meet and work with people from different aspects of life, different abilities. - you have a lot of responsibilities. - employee discount

Cons

- pay could be higher. - not enough staff. - volunteers do not always turn up so you are left with only 3 paid staff onsite

9. 1.0

Saddened

Feb 17, 2016 - Store Manager in Leeds, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Never a dull moment! Keeps you fit

Cons

Overworked, underpaid, very stressful, not valued, diabolical health & safety, poor working conditions, no care for paid staff let alone volunteers who give time freely, trackers for everything, unrealistic targets to name a few! As a manager I am very outgoing, love new challenges and have a lot of drive, this company how ever have sucked every last ounce of passion out of me to the point they have finally broken me and I am currently seeking new employment! The biggest problem is lack of measure in change. Don't get me wrong they are the best at what they do as a charity retailer on the high street, but what is shown to the public on the shop floors is far cry from what happens behind the scenes. Shops generally consist of a paid manager, assistant manager and paid assistant if you lucky, the rest of the team is made up of good hearted volunteers some of who work as though it is a full time job! The back working areas are horrendous, no space for storage and mounds of stock (if you're doing the job correctly) the environments are more than often dangerous. There is a huge problem when it comes to getting any form of repairs done, you are often told "that will cost too much money" so jobs are always bodged. Shops have to work with rats/fleas/un-safe equipment etc. When you try to communicate problems the area managers who are equally under as much pressure seem to live in fear of the regional managers so things often get swept under the carpet. When a visit is due from anyone higher up you are told to make sure everything is clear, totally unrealistic as for one it takes a good week to sort it out and two it does not allow the real daily working environment that we work in to be seen! Currently I am working with 9 different trackers! These generally are the brain wave of an area manager that is then shared amongst all the others. These trackers are repetitive in their nature. Then you have the conference call scenario, there is around 15 shop managers on one call, these take up so much time as you are always waiting for people to dial in who are late, then you can't hear a thing due to all the background noise and the area manager is constantly telling people to be quiet, these calls can last up to 40 minutes a time and some days you end up having 3. This is all detracts from being able to run your store and achieve targets of 250 hanging items to the shop floor each day. Whilst sitting on a call you see the donated stock flowing up the stairs and know your workload has just doubled. If it's a day where volunteers don't turn up and you are short staffed you don't stand a chance! Then you are made to feel incompetent when your stock hasn't hit the shop floor because you have been tied up in conference calls throughout the day. My store receives around 500 bags per week, which if you saw the size of the store you would understand, if you don't work that stock continually you have major problems. More recently the company have become suddenly OCD about health and safety, sending managers on risk assessment courses, great yes but all it's doing is passing the buck back down to the store manager if anything goes wrong, we were told we would be the ones who would serve time in prison if we don't keep on top of it all and accident occur, yet they refuse to spend money on improvements that are desperately needed! They take on cheap rents to be able to maximise their profits. Fundraising..... Where to start! The company has its own fundraising department who appear to have the easy job, as the small stores are expected to fundraise daily, targets often set at £50 per day, you are expected to turn it in to a "fun" challenge for your volunteers, believe me there is no fun in this at all, you have no choice but to send your best volunteer out to collect this money which then leaves you short handed in the store. Volunteers who are vulnerable and there are many in these stores are the preferred ones to go out collecting as they have the "pity factor" it's disgusting! However if you are like me and many other managers you more often then not end up putting your own money in the collection so you don't feel worthless when you have to report your figures on yet another conference call. Gift Aid, the company expects a minimum of 5 new sign ups per day and a 40% conversion rate each week on gift aid sales, the pressure from this leads to many managers fiddling the gift aid system i.e using donor id's from a person who hasn't actually donated any stock recently. This is a grave concern as this is illegal and an imprisonable offence by the HMRC, but this is what the company's expectations are doing to store managers. When you are honest and speak up about the pressure you are told that there are worst company's and bigger pressures that you could be working for and that maybe you are just not cut out for the job. There is no consistency with plans, organisation or communication. You are spoken to very rudely by certain departments when you have a problem. This company spend an awful lot of time sending out emails and surveys but never actually do anything about the results that have been given from them except to send out yet another glossy, colourful piece of laminated art work to place on the staff notice board that nobody ever reads as they simply don't have time. I really wish that more outside organisations would really start looking at these stores as I know they would serve notices and close them down, the danger is very worrying especially when you have vulnerable people volunteering for you. I have met Peter Hollins once during my 12 years in the company, he was a lovely gentleman, he did mention he was a little shocked at the conditions but then disappeared back to London, of course everything was spick and spam for the visit! There are no real incentives as such working here apart from a 25% discount on donated stock. Bonuses are now virtually impossible to make due to the recent restructuring of the bonus scheme. There are no health packages, child care vouchers or anything else, yet the regional support managers/ area managers/ regional managers all get health packages/ phones/ lap tops and cars. I dread to think how much all of this costs, there are so many wasted and needles roles in this company that could save hundreds of thousands of pounds that could go towards more research. It is very rare you see much bad press about them as things are kept quiet and they have an excellent legal team. They are very clever at getting rid of problems if a disgruntled person comes forward. This organisation needs investigating at a very deep level especially when it comes to wasting people's generous donations. Am I an angry employee? Absolutely! After 12 years of giving everything I have, I have now finally woke up to the sad reality that I have been a victim of nothing more than what can only be deemed as a cult! There is so much more than what I have written here, but I am so overwhelmed with it all I am aware I have vented too much. When I have gained a new position and got away from this place I fully intend to expose the whole lot to the national media and anyone who will listen with the evidence I have built. Good luck to any new potential employees, you have been warned.

19 people found this review helpful
    10. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Management expect too much of paid staff and volunteers

Feb 2, 2016 - Retail Sales Assistant in Falkirk, Scotland, Scotland
      Business Outlook

Pros

Met lots of lovely people. Volunteers were all long serving people an made me feel very welcome.

Cons

Complaints are never followed up, always ignored. Only time the management talk to paid staff and volunteers is to tell them to do more work and then complain about the work done.

1 person found this review helpful